Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Food storage bin, texture

Hi!

The food storage bin model has been blessed with a new texture and it will be out on the next graphics update (hopefully tomorrow).

The bad news is that I have removed the wood type textures for it.

I have decided to do this due to performance, less textures for the same object are much better for graphics memory and rendering speed.

In the end it will benefit us all.

I hope you all can forgive me for this.

In the future I hope we can implement some clever material shaders to handle things like wood types and dying items in much more efficient way

new_fsb.png

Cheers!

• Like 15

can't wait to see if these stops sticking through the floor boards  :)

awww...i really hope you find a way to add shader to these in the future :) maybe some sort of alpha map, that can be used by some code, to add all kinds of hues to textures without having actual textures for it :)

• Like 1

They look good and a worthy trade-off for the wood textures - but I would like to say now that the wood textures are a great features, and just having that level of customization (different wood textures looking different) is a great thing and needs to be a definite comeback!

Edited by Ocean
  • Like 1

Ouch, Just so I understand correctly, The pic provided is simply the only option you get? Wood type, Color, ect has all been removed? The pic is simply what you get?

It doesn't look like the top matches the rest of the FSB. There are some exact measurements and detail work on the doors and sides, but then I guess we forgot how when cutting the boards for the top.

• Like 5

I dont get the uneven boards on the top.  Its like every carpenter in wurm was to lazy to make even boards.

• Like 5

I don't mind the wood textures changing to one look across all things but lets use just one and not a bunch of mixed matched stuff. This one looks nice so i suggest anything going forward use only this texture for the standard wood texture so it all matches. 

Edit: Even the furniture should match up too with one wood texture/look. What i don't want it a dark wood fsb, gray looking trash heap, dark colored tables then something altogether different for every other wood thing that comes out and nothing ever matches. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

the graphics are a nice enhancement and worth the trade off of losing wood unique wood type textures/colors imo.  When they were reworking boats and i saw all the texture the same i understood why..performance enhancement in game graphics load.  It takes alot to have all these custom textures and layers.  as the game gets more complicated, the game gets heavier..so its a small sacrifice for a better performance.  maybe tints or colors can be reworked in the future to personalize over a standard uniform wood color/grain/texture  I'm wondering if before they are implemented..they could be a tad smaller than the old ones..3/5th the size perhaps.  and maybe have the wood top uneven boards planed/sawed off to be flush with the front.  just a small wish.  thanks for the continued offering of new visual treats...you are our wurm santa claus.

Edited by Greasygrundle
  • Like 1

It doesn't look like the top matches the rest of the FSB. There are some exact measurements and detail work on the doors and sides, but then I guess we forgot how when cutting the boards for the top.

I dont get the uneven boards on the top.  Its like every carpenter in wurm was to lazy to make even boards.

I only just thought about that when you said it - it does look cool in a way, but yeah - if you were making food storage bins you'd probably just slice those top parts off.

I don't mind the wood textures changing to one look across all things but lets use just one and not a bunch of mixed matched stuff. This one looks nice so i suggest anything going forward use only this texture for the standard wood texture so it all matches. 

-1, wood variation is beautiful.

• Like 1

2 carpenters , one turns to the other  " oh man its 4.30 on a friday, just throw these here uneven boards on i'm sure no one will notice "

love the texture tho :) 

I do really hope we get the shaders for wood types, its one of those small things that really counts and makes wurm different

aswell i hope that model is worked on to match some of the nicer models , the texture is beautiful, but the uneven boards remind me to much of the old model now which has always been a bit to bulky, atleast a few more model options would help ease the pain of loosing the textures, hoping for a fancy tall and sleek corner model :)

news of dyes in the shaders is awesome aswell, keep up the fantastic work wox!

• Like 2

Different wood grain finishes on Items is one of the coolest aspects of the game and sets wurm apart from other games.

You guys have been slowly getting rid of it with every new piece of furniture, it's really a shame I can't say I'm happy about this at all :(

As for the new FSB look the doors are cool but to have the old roof is just silly......It makes it look half assed.

• Like 9

I don't mind the loss of the different wood textures if it is replaced through other means in the future. As for the model, I agree with the comments about the uneven boards on top, it makes me want to grab the saw and even them up... Probably works great for a low ql version of the food storage bin, but it doesn't make much sense for higher ql food storage bins. The doors are looking good.

Edited by Ecrir

Well.. If you did a single texture, could at least have made one that matches the current FC furnitures... That way hour homes still look like a jumble of furnitures...

• Like 4

Most of the wurm players always say the same thing you would think after all this time they would think about how things are going to match up with the rest of the items before making any changes.

WOW  Bag of Fail   -1k  If this is the best u can come up with I'm losing faith in this game!!!!!! 

-1 If you made them hold fish I would forgive you much quicker. The doors do look good.  I love my matching wood textures. The power of Applewood. :angry:

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 7

Well, it is what it is. Better be prepared for BSBs, chests, boats, etc to all have a uniform wood texture/color.

-1 to keeping the uneven boards on top. PLEASE make them straight.

+1 to better performance

-1 to the elimination of texture variations (but I'm hopeful you figure out how to include them in the future)

• Like 2

are they smaller than the old enormous ones?

One of my main concerns about the current FSB is its absolute absurdity in size, will this be remedied or are these just new textures..?

Edited by Huntar

Yeah, I have to agree with allot of fellow wurmians here, please make the planks on top even. We can craft lounge chairs, I'm sure we can saw planks at even length when making a FSB ;)

One other question, how will the "full"-look, look like? Did that get some love or was it left out all together?

Rolf and dev team Please for the love of god use my hard drive like other mmo's fill it with thousands of pics of textures for different types of stuff. The average game now days is 30gigs on any hard drive and wurm is only 2.3 gigs thats 27.7 gigs of hard drive space for code and textures for you to play with.

Mixed with the spectral lighting that's being worked on will be nice. Just re write your lazy color dying system and do simple wood dyes and stone dyes that are based on textures instead. you could make each wood texture have 3, 5, or even 10 shades of wood grain stain i don't care but please use my freaking hard drive.

You can do something like make a stain brush and make new substances called stains that work the substance skill. Applying it would work behind the code by changing the texture to a different shaded texture. Could also use the wire brush that exist to scrub the stain off and it returns to the original base texture kind of like the stone and plain stone walls now work.

All this can be done by simple methods and if statements or switch's and would make wurm more colorful and realistic cause trust me neon green food storage bins are plain ugly and not many people in the world would have any furniture in there house of that color. Not even back in this time frame the game is set in did they have vibrant colors like we do today. So the whole color system is just way off for it's time frame.

People really in todays time wouldn't care if a game took 100gigs of there hard drive if it was worth it and made the game better. If anyone has less than a 500gig hard drive today then it is super rare. They stopped making hard drives under 500 gigs over 10 years ago all but the new solid state drives that are now out but even they are now up to 4 TB after a few months.