Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Challenge server - tactics

Well we have seen threads with the good and bad opinions but this is going to be a little different thread so leave the for and against arguments to the others threads. Here i am wondering how the faster pace will effect the typical pvp playstyle and why we would want to play there. I guess we need to look at what we know so far to get a good start with this...

• New Raid functionality which will include things like more siege weapons, defensive turrets and expanded functionality for the guard towers.
  • Ultra fast skilling even on failed actions.
  • Super short timers.
  • No repair for walls and fences while in combat.
  • Strategic Resource spawn points which gives the kingdom that controls them an abundance of building and crafting materials.

The post says there will be new siege weapons as well as defensive turrets but will having the money to put in a lot of guards from the start going to play a huge role in things? 

Is there even much point spending a lot on deeds and guards will the prizes be worth spending the coins on to help get yourself setup? 

What are you wanting to see and not see in this new challenge server?

Lets get to the good stuff not just arguing over if they should open it up or not because lets face it they are. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

Well what kind of challenges are you thinking they should or will set?  I guess i am just wondering what we will be doing there and what determines if you win? 

Edited by Kegan

I definitely think there will be more of a focus on offense rather than defense. 

People will group up early to raid others while they are still weak, and to defend you cant just sit repairing walls. You need to go out and engage them!

• Like 1

I expect full yolo tryhard action from the majority and then some people getting slaved to forges to supply them

Edited by Capi
  • Like 1

I except full yolo tryhard action from the majority and then some people getting slaved to forges to supply them

u shall be my smith!

• Like 3

I definitely think there will be more of a focus on offense rather than defense. 

People will group up early to raid others while they are still weak, and to defend you cant just sit repairing walls. You need to go out and engage them!

It says you can not repair walls already that is why i was wondering how big of an effect deed guards will play. I guess you can get someone to run them around though while others attack.

Also will the largest group always be the best and win everytime? Is there no hope for the solo/small group play style to ever enjoy this new server? 

Edited by Kegan

Also will the largest group always be the best and win everytime? Is there no hope for the solo/small group play style to ever enjoy this new server? 

This is a super speeded server.

What does this mean?

Those who know exactly what to do will be able to fullfill all their objectives REAALLLLYYY fast.

The clueless new people in small groups on the other hand... Best of luck. Time is not on your side.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

I'm looking forward to the tears of freedom. The sweet sweet salty tear water of freedom.

So defense turrets... we talking ballista finally?

Or an archer roped to a post that pops up and down.

• Like 1

The only thing that worries me, is people building houses with no roofs. Cold and rain should be a thing in the new challenge server!

I hope this will end up being a lot like very early Epic.

The earliest game will be fight skill, tool, weapon, and armor acquisition.

There will certainly be some raiding, but since individuals will be poorly geared, it will likely be hit and run raiding, hunting hunters or stragglers.  Even a terrible stone wall will stop most raiding parties short unless they are well prepared with troll clubs or large mauls

The amount of water on the map, and how connected the land is will be hugely important for the early game, especially before boats.

Then transport and siege.  Boats and horses as people skill up body control.  Catapults and siege weapons to break down walls.

Then comes a game of raiding with boats and siege engines, and trying to steal and/or destroy resources.

Edited by Farmerbob
  • Like 1

So defense turrets... we talking ballista finally?

Or an archer roped to a post that pops up and down.

There was an update on the test server last time i was on called i think an archery tower so i am guessing that might be one? It was not in the client yet that i could find but was just an art update. 

Edited by Kegan

It is impossible to say what strategy will be required on Challenge because it will be a goal/theme-oriented server just we don't know what kind of goals they might be yet. So, basically, all we can do is speculate.

I don't know exactly how these challenges are going to work, I take the hint that this server is not going to be Wurm PvP as usual. At the moment Wurm PvP on Wild/Chaos has tended towards long game territorial war and conquering/raiding, with HoTA as a kind of new thing. On the smaller Epic servers, PvP is about skirmishing near HoTA / Battle Camps with occasional raiding and mission based PvP. There is also home-server raiding style PvP on Epic.

One major change is the Challenge server is going to incorporate certain new features including strategic resource spawn points. At the moment we the community don't know what those resources will be, how many locations they will spawn in. We do, however, know (from other comments made by staff) that they wont be deed-able. If the resource points are worth holding on to on a full time basis, then they will undoubtedly be a good place where PvP is going to happen, over specific resources for the first time in Wurm. Also, depending on the number of these resource spawn points, it may be difficult for one group to have effective control over all of them. All "kingdoms" or "teams" involved might have to make strategic calculations on which resources they want to put their effort into securing most.

Then of course there are the overall goals which, depending on their importance to a "round", will affect strategy one way or another.

I guess the thing I am saying is, raiding deeds might not actually be worth it that much on these servers if there are other more important things to fight over like critical resources or a "winning goal" (notwithstanding a winning goal which asks you to destroy enemy deeds or something, haha). It's just hard to say anything for sure on our limited information so far, so we have to speculate a lot about how important different variables will be.

I am not sure how they could pull it off but having an observer perspective would be nice. Maybe even a weekly video or something from gm accounts that can fly over the server and watch things as they go down. That would be real fun to watch i think or maybe even a way for a player to enter the server in an observer mode only and not be able to interact with anything else but could fly around and watch the battles unfold. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Ooops.. I somehow failed to see there was a vote thread. 

Edited by Torgrim

Rolf gave up on Epic and started a new PvP idea... what about Epic and Chaos now?

I don't want this to be a topic of if there should be a new server or not but more of a what we want to see/how it will work on the new server so please take this to the other threads that are debating if the server should be open. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Not-to-play.jpg

In all seriousness, I would probably play challenge if it was going to stay free, or you can use an account you already have premium for.  1 character for the subscription fee is already bad enough.  It definitely sounds fun though.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I would probably play challenge if it was going to stay free, or you can use an account you already have premium for.  1 character for the subscription fee is already bad enough.  It definitely sounds fun though.

They have already said in an amendment that they were going to look into letting everyone teleport there but it will be like epic and only your bank transfers over no items or skills. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

The GM's should maybe put a X-mas truce in force on epic + chaos, so there is against the rule to raid during that holiday time. That would free up some muscles for this challenge jippo.

Not-to-play.jpg

Who knew nuclear war was pretty much tic-tac-toe?  :D

• Like 1