Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

I can still bite you! - Fighting not working

Hey, I've had this bug at least twice this week and thought I'd share some details since this is guaranteed to get someone killed unless it gets fixed.

Problem

Randomly stopping to attack creatures you have targetted. Parrying still works, but no attempts to retaliate are made.

Information

- I had the creatures targetted when it happened (100% sure)

-- I think, though I'm not sure, that in both cases the creatures "came onto me first", ie. I had nothing targetted and they aggroed first

-- The distance to the creature was listed as perfect in the fighting options

- I was wearing cloth armour

- I was using the normal fighting stance

-- 79 fighting skill

-- 71 normal fighting skill

- I was using a large maul:

-- 61 large maul skill

-- QL65 large maul

-- No noteworthy damage on the large maul

- So far it has happened with at least one mountain lion and one wild cat

- It happened on Xanadu (shouldn't matter, but you never know with all the Xanadu-specific bugs)

Fight log from the latest limpfight:

[22:12:51] Aged wild cat moves in to attack you.[22:12:57] You safely parry with your large maul.[22:13:01] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:13:11] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:13:16] You barely evade the blow to the stomach.[22:13:22] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.[22:13:25] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:13:37] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the stomach and slaps it.[22:13:42] You skillfully parry with your large maul.[22:13:42] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the stomach and slaps it.[22:13:51] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:13:51] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.[22:14:02] You safely parry with your large maul.[22:14:06] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.[22:14:11] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:14:11] Aged wild cat makes a bad move and is an easy target![22:14:14] Aged wild cat regains her bearings.[22:14:21] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:14:36] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:14:41] Aged wild cat makes a bad move and is an easy target![22:14:44] Aged wild cat regains her bearings.[22:14:52] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:14:56] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:15:01] You barely evade the blow to the stomach.[22:15:07] You safely parry with your large maul.[22:15:22] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:15:26] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.[22:15:29] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the right thigh and slaps it.[22:15:32] You safely parry with your large maul.[22:15:41] You skillfully evade the blow to the chest.[22:15:46] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:15:54] Aged wild cat bites you pretty hard in the left hand and irritates it.[22:15:56] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:16:01] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.[22:16:11] You skillfully parry with your large maul.[22:16:18] You take no real damage from the blow to the right hand.[22:16:21] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:16:26] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the right underarm and slaps it.[22:16:31] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the left underarm and slaps it.[22:16:36] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:16:38] Aged wild cat seems to target your  left parts.[22:16:39] Aged wild cat targets your  left parts.[22:16:41] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:16:41] You take no real damage from the blow to the left thigh.[22:16:41] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.[22:16:46] You skillfully evade the blow to the left upper arm.[22:16:51] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:17:04] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:17:05] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the left underarm and slaps it.[22:17:09] The attack to the lower back glances off your armour.[22:17:21] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.[22:17:25] You safely parry with your large maul.[22:17:36] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:17:41] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the left thigh and slaps it.[22:17:46] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the lower back and slaps it.[22:17:50] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:17:50] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the lower back and slaps it.[22:18:05] You easily parry with your large maul.[22:18:12] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.[22:18:15] You easily parry with your large maul.
Then I became overcome with my uselessness and walked away Edited by Aeris

And you did try to do a No-target and then target it again?

I sometimes get this aswell but then its because i targeted the same type of monster like 30 tiles earlier but ignored it, so i sitll had that at target and trying to target the monster you're standing next to won't work until you have first no-targeted the first one.

And you did try to do a No-target and then target it again?

I sometimes get this aswell but then its because i targeted the same type of monster like 30 tiles earlier but ignored it, so i sitll had that at target and trying to target the monster you're standing next to won't work until you have first no-targeted the first one.

That's a good point you brought up, WKM.

Now that our targets stay targetted for what seems like 100+ tiles, I've locked on to a critter type, forgot about it and headed back or whatever, and the same critter type (but different critter) comes up and starts attacking. I glance at my target box and I see that i'm targetted to [insert aggro type here], but it's not the one fighting me, it's the one up the road. Parrying ensues, critter takes small hits from my aosp.

Still definitely would consider it a bug that the double clicking of the critter in front of me doesn't shift my targetting over. I shouldn't have to back out of the fight, no target, then retarget/charge back in.

I think aeris u have engaged combat with a previous monster, that u didnt notice while u were riding.

So u ride away from 1st monster, and are locked in combat with it.

When u ride up the the monster u see, it will start hit u. But u target the monster that stoped chase u. Most often it can be the same type of monsters, since the local lair u know.

This explains why u just parry and take beating, and not hit back.

I dunno what more to proof it, more then trust me im 90+ FS.

Do Attack -> Target on all monsters to be sure. This u can do while riding up to it, it takes nano seconds.

No, like I wrote in the OP: I am 100% sure that I had the right creature targetted. I clicked NO TARGET before the cat moved in on me. Deliberately, I had nothing else targetted and the combat window said that the distance to it was perfect (actually I'll add that to the OP so noone else misreads it).

This is a bug, not a mistake on my side.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

I also am sure, I specifically targetted the horse when I realised I wasn't hitting it. Twice.

You get periods where you just randomly suck for no apparent reason. It's Rolfs punishment for all the Challenge server moaning.

• Like 1

You get periods where you just randomly suck for no apparent reason. It's Rolfs punishment for all the Challenge server moaning.

It isn't a matter of sucking, i.e. failing to hit. The logs show that Aeris didn't even try to hit.

• Like 1

It happened again today, this time with a spider. This time I was using aggressive fighting, so seems like it's a problem with targetting back if the creatures targets you first rather than something else.

Once again I had nothing targetted and the spider made the first move.

Edited by Aeris

It would show dodges, misses, glances, and any hits that were blocked (creatures with clubs and armed tower guards). The lack of those indicates that no swing attempts were made. The combat system works in a series of checks in a designated order as follows:

1. hit (if yes, continue to 2; if no, process ends)

2. dodge (if no, continue to 3; if yes, process ends)

3. parry with weapon (if no, continue to 4; if yes, process ends)

4. block with shield (if no, continue to 5; if yes, process ends)

5. glance (if no, continue to 6; if yes, process ends)

6. damage reduction - armor, shield of the gone, continuum, etc. 

7. damage is applied to target

There are some weird things like partial parry/block that are hard to understand or calculate because no one really knows exactly how it works. You cannot block without a shield or parry without a weapon, and arrows bypass the dodge and parry checks. Spells have their own checks. Internals ignore armor and have special checks because they are usually tied to special attack types. Other special attack types have their own checks as well (weapon specials, shield bashes, creature specials, etc.)

Highlighted logs in spoiler:

[22:12:51] Aged wild cat moves in to attack you.
[22:12:57] You safely parry with your large maul.
[22:13:01] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:13:11] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:13:16] You barely evade the blow to the stomach.
[22:13:22] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.
[22:13:25] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:13:37] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the stomach and slaps it.
[22:13:42] You skillfully parry with your large maul.
[22:13:42] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the stomach and slaps it.
[22:13:51] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:13:51] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[22:14:02] You safely parry with your large maul.
[22:14:06] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.
[22:14:11] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:14:11] Aged wild cat makes a bad move and is an easy target!
[22:14:14] Aged wild cat regains her bearings.
[22:14:21] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:14:36] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:14:41] Aged wild cat makes a bad move and is an easy target!
[22:14:44] Aged wild cat regains her bearings.
[22:14:52] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:14:56] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:15:01] You barely evade the blow to the stomach.
[22:15:07] You safely parry with your large maul.
[22:15:22] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:15:26] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.
[22:15:29] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the right thigh and slaps it.
[22:15:32] You safely parry with your large maul.
[22:15:41] You skillfully evade the blow to the chest.
[22:15:46] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:15:54] Aged wild cat bites you pretty hard in the left hand and irritates it.
[22:15:56] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:16:01] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[22:16:11] You skillfully parry with your large maul.
[22:16:18] You take no real damage from the blow to the right hand.
[22:16:21] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:16:26] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the right underarm and slaps it.
[22:16:31] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the left underarm and slaps it.
[22:16:36] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:16:38] Aged wild cat seems to target your left parts.
[22:16:39] Aged wild cat targets your left parts.
[22:16:41] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:16:41] You take no real damage from the blow to the left thigh.
[22:16:41] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.
[22:16:46] You skillfully evade the blow to the left upper arm.
[22:16:51] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:17:04] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:17:05] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the left underarm and slaps it.
[22:17:09] The attack to the lower back glances off your armour.
[22:17:21] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.
[22:17:25] You safely parry with your large maul.
[22:17:36] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:17:41] Aged wild cat claws you lightly in the left thigh and slaps it.
[22:17:46] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the lower back and slaps it.
[22:17:50] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:17:50] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the lower back and slaps it.
[22:18:05] You easily parry with your large maul.
[22:18:12] Aged wild cat claws you very lightly in the stomach and slaps it.
[22:18:15] You easily parry with your large maul.

I am aware of all this and while I appreciate the thread bump I'm curious as to what your point is.

^ Sorry

TLDR It's a bug, not a target error on the player's part (as clarification for those who suggested otherwise.

• Like 1

Bump. This is still happening, today it was a spider.

Happened again today, this time there were two trolls attacking me. I am not amused.

Bwamp!   I killed a bear with my sickle fine, went to engage an old troll so I switched to my large maul.  I nearly died, so I ran away to heal.  Went back to seek revenge and noticed I was not attacking!  No animation, nothing.  I was targeted on the correct troll and everything.  I switched to my sickle and started attacking!  Switched back to my maul and continued to attack.

So...Long story short...the 'no attack bug' is still here, but a quick fix in battle seems to be switch weapons if possible!

Perhaps switching battle styles would also work.  If it happens again, I'll try that and let everyone know.  

Happened again today when fighting a spider and a bear, added bonus of them being able to attack me through the house wall when I retreatead didn't help...

Happened again today, against a spider and I can now say with confidence that it has no correlation with whether you've killed your previous target or pressed "no target" before the fight.

I didn't start attacking the spider until the third time I'd targetted it.

Soo, this happened again today with a rat.

Well I guess I can throw my name in the hat as well.

Happened to me with 2 spiders and a bear in my mine.  Both spiders were the same age and I wasn't sure which one was targeted so I backed off, hit No Target and back in after re-targeting the closest one and noticed as you posted I was not hitting anything. ;(

• Like 1