Sign in to follow this  
kaidley

An actual survival server for wurm.

No not epic, No not shitty chaos trying to be wild. Not oh no i ran out of nutrition my skill gain! No care-bears.

Since we are getting a new type of challenge server I thought I might as well put in my long wished for thing.

A survival server where you actually die when you are starving.. or 0% water.. Get a disease? It might kill you. Just like bad wounds that do not get better!

This in turn makes villages more useful than a spawn point.. Cause guess what, My idea includes perma death all around! < This might make you all be like NOOO -99999, But oh well... 

Ill add more in the future, Also instead of being like no post, maybe use your words instead of -1's and add to it to make it better :P

Much Love,

Hateful Ruka in a pissed off mood.

• Like 4

To add to my idea, No Global chat, Only local.

Stuff Othob said below

I want:

1. Dangerous wildlife that is more than an afk kill.
  2. Weather that can kill you if you are an idiot.
  3. Actually needing to eat to live and getting weaker for eating the same thing again and again.
  4. Needing a village tailor because your shirt needs mending.
  5. Tools breaking, boats sinking, fences destroyed by trolls, skills lost from lack of use.
  6. Priests that are actually players instead of howitzers or spell spamming cordage powered machinery.
  7. Worrying about getting to the next village alive.
  8. No global economy - no traders, no mail.
  9. Challenge that goes past getting a 50 skill title.
  10. Not having to worry about some angry young adult ruining my day because his mommy told him to clean his room and calling it "PvP"
  11. Game mechanics that are actually PvE, not just farmville stuff to do between PvP. 

I think it should always be possible to play solo. A good solo day might go something like: spawn, gather firewood, be hungry, start work on a fence, be invited to dinner from some goblins.

My ideal configuration would be something like:

• Troll and Goblin tribes being the primary antagonist, having their own rudimentary villages that can be wiped out but also spawn wandering mobs and mob groups.
  • Goblins can hide and ambush in the woods. Trolls are more overt and actually attack settlements.
  • Defensive works and towers that function and work on an effort/maint->results paradigm instead of buying guards. Villages should be under attack often but rarely face possible destruction. Villages with robust defenses, wide territories and great success get rewarded by harsher spawns with a chance at great rewards.
  • Outside the villages the server cleaning itself aggressively. A very rapid rennwal with constructions off-deed decaying rapidly including roads. Some version of erosion removing terrafroming. 
  • Villages with a more robust internal politics to encourage players to feel secure sharing space and resources without there being an "owner".
  • Perimeters would be much cheaper but you buy "push" not tiles. Nearby villages push against each other for "control" as would random troll and goblin lairs. "control" limits building but also limits where goblins/trolls spawn.
  • Harsh weather with frostbite, heavy rains, dangerous winds, dust storms and even small brush fires.
  • Actual seasonal crops with food variety being important. 
  • Heavy losses on death with rapid gains but also the return of skill decay.
  • Robust health/illness/wound system where you need a good diet, new clothing, shelter to stave off illness. Wounds take much longer to heal and need special treatments to heal properly. Several diseases, some contagious player->player but others animal->player via handling or wound
Edited by kaidley

so.... hardcore difficulty wurm?

Yes, Start with nothing, Die and start with nothing AT ALL.

I want:

2. Weather that can kill you if you are an idiot.
  3. Actually needing to eat to live and getting weaker for eating the same thing again and again.
  4. Needing a village tailor because your shirt needs mending.
  5. Tools breaking, boats sinking, fences destroyed by trolls, skills lost from lack of use.
  6. Priests that are actually players instead of howitzers or spell spamming cordage powered machinery.
  7. Worrying about getting to the next village alive.
  8. No global economy - no traders, no mail.
  9. Challenge that goes past getting a 50 skill title.
  10. Not having to worry about some angry young adult ruining my day because his mommy told him to clean his room and calling it "PvP"
  11. Game mechanics that are actually PvE, not just farmville stuff to do between PvP. 
  • Like 8

I want:

Weather that can kill you if you are an idiot.

Actually needing to eat to live and getting weaker for eating the same thing again and again.

Needing a village tailor because your shirt needs mending.

Tools breaking, boats sinking, fences destroyed by trolls, skills lost from lack of use.

Priests that are actually players instead of howitzers or spell spamming cordage powered machinery.

Worrying about getting to the next village alive.

No global economy - no traders, no mail.

Challenge that goes past getting a 50 skill title.

Not having to worry about some angry young adult ruining my day because his mommy told him to clean his room and calling it "PvP"

Game mechanics that are actually PvE, not just farmville stuff to do between PvP. 

+1 

• Like 1

I want:

Actually needing to eat to live and getting weaker for eating the same thing again and again.

Tools breaking, boats sinking, fences destroyed by trolls, skills lost from lack of use.

Priests that are actually players instead of howitzers or spell spamming cordage powered machinery.

Not having to worry about some angry young adult ruining my day because his mommy told him to clean his room and calling it "PvP"

Game mechanics that are actually PvE, not just farmville stuff to do between PvP. 

+100. Too bad the call for more difficulty is always met with "but think about the newbies!"

not a bad idea..i did this once..in what i call cave man style..ditched everying had no contact with wurm world what so ever..only thing is..i think i'm in a small audience that would prefer to play this way..so it's not likely sustainable or wise business move

+1    I would love to have a hardcore server, especially if it forced playing as a group.

I want:

10/10

Well thought out.

I would play on a server with all of this.

With skill decay though, I feel as if It shouldnt go down past say 20 if youve already gone past 20.

Edited by Yesirn

I think it should always be possible to play solo. A good solo day might go something like: spawn, gather firewood, be hungry, start work on a fence, be invited to dinner from some goblins.

My ideal configuration would be something like:

• Troll and Goblin tribes being the primary antagonist, having their own rudimentary villages that can be wiped out but also spawn wandering mobs and mob groups.
  • Goblins can hide and ambush in the woods. Trolls are more overt and actually attack settlements.
  • Defensive works and towers that function and work on an effort/maint->results paradigm instead of buying guards. Villages should be under attack often but rarely face possible destruction. Villages with robust defenses, wide territories and great success get rewarded by harsher spawns with a chance at great rewards.
  • Outside the villages the server cleaning itself aggressively. A very rapid rennwal with constructions off-deed decaying rapidly including roads. Some version of erosion removing terrafroming. 
  • Villages with a more robust internal politics to encourage players to feel secure sharing space and resources without there being an "owner".
  • Perimeters would be much cheaper but you buy "push" not tiles. Nearby villages push against each other for "control" as would random troll and goblin lairs. "control" limits building but also limits where goblins/trolls spawn.
  • Harsh weather with frostbite, heavy rains, dangerous winds, dust storms and even small brush fires.
  • Actual seasonal crops with food variety being important. 
  • Heavy losses on death with rapid gains but also the return of skill decay.
  • Robust health/illness/wound system where you need a good diet, new clothing, shelter to stave off illness. Wounds take much longer to heal and need special treatments to heal properly. Several diseases, some contagious player->player but others animal->player via handling or wounds.
Edited by Othob Rithol
  • Like 2

I'd love to see something like this.  Wurm feels pretty stagnant to me with so many people having 90+ skills, and any newb being able to buy 60ql gear for a few copper.  A lot of the reward for leveling skills is missing.

A few suggestions I'd like to throw out there:

• Forges and fires taking 30mins+ at low ql to smelt and cook like they used to.
  • Death should be common and a constant threat to make the experience more brutal and challenging rather than playing ultra safe and never dying. 
  • Skills drop to 1.00 on death but get an exp bonus relative to how far away you are from your highest.
  • Random events where monsters are buffed, group together or aggro to the nearest player/settlement.

a hardcore wurm can works if it is more fast paced and how you manage your works instead how you spam 1000 cordage ropes / 1000 corns. x) In all honesty tho, making a good hardcore wurm sounds like making a new wurm, I don't see this happening unless we have two separate dev teams and two separate codes.

Edited by rosedragon

you all are forgetting one thing...

warning--zombie-infestation.jpg

i may or not be in a sarcastic mood.

• Like 1

oh disebarking  from a cart  killed me,great i lost all my skill my money,my premium and everything, il just start again and hope i can survive the mighty cart

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

Very important for a survival server would also be

• to severely restrict terra-forming (limit digging to, say, 30 slopes steep, disable level command) and
  • to make building of structures (houses, walls, fences, statues, colossi, etc) much more difficult (for example double the materials for wooden structure, 5 times the materials for stone structures).

Otherwise the survival server would soon be another small village with 5 highways, 3 wall marts, 28 castles and 17 parking lots.

The 3 years i was gone ragequitting from Wurm.

I Spend my time playing Diablo 3 hardcore and Path of Exile Hardcore

(and i played a little WoW too, but hey, no need to embaress myself)

Hardcore mode has it charm, u learn from ur mistakes and reroll new char, and u learn to minimize the risks.

The memory of how u die will be glorious, something u will forever remember!

HC playercommunity is more grown up, since the enviroment is u must learn fast the ropes, eticuettes and morals, otherwise its GG for u.

hardcore-death1.jpg

Wurm can steal some surviving ideas from that inide game "Don't Starve"

Edited by Tissotx

Honestly I would love to see goblin and troll villages around the map that spawn groups of mobs that will roam and attack player villages

I love the things your all saying so far! And remember think of this idea separate from wurm Like how Epic is separate from freedom!

Why I like this idea more than challenge server idea?

Very simple.

You decide when the Reset happens, no the devs, no the elite group that in secret takes care of the server goal. YOU!

+1 Ruka

It's not a bad idea but this is not what Wurm actualy needs. Playerbase is too low for that at this moment so -1 from me for now.

To many servers that split up the comunity. Chaos, Epic and Challenge now.