Sign in to follow this  
Calluth

Linux install?

Is there an install of this I can play on a Xandros OS?

Really want to be able to access it at work, but only have above OS available.

:(

the game runs on java so if you can get java to work on there you should be able to run wurm after that(if your pc can handle it)

it runs just fine on Debian Lenny here and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't on Xandros. You'll need an apropriate gfx card and most likely the proprietary drivers.

According to a post on the Xandros forums, the Sun JRE is included with the system. Are you trying to run the wurmclient.jnlp and nothing happens? Do you have access to install things to your system?

Ah, I see. :)

I should mention I'm a total Linux newbie, and have no idea how to do anything, ever, on it.

All I do know is that when I try to go to Wurm, it attempts to load the jnlp and asks if I want to save or open it. If I open it, it doesn't recognise any associated programs.

:S

So if anyone is willing to handhold me in getting it working, that'd be awesome. :)

That probably means you either don't have Java installed, or it's just not associated with .jnlp files. The latter is easy, just open up a terminal, cd to where you saved the launcher and do,

javaws wurmclient.jnlp

If you get a "command not found" then you'll need to install Java, I don't know how you would do that on Xandros. Have a look in its package manager program, whatever it may be.

I should mention I'm a total Linux newbie, and have no idea how to do anything, ever, on it.

In that case Ubuntu would probably be better for you (or Kubuntu to keep with your KDE theme) it offers alot more newbie handholding and help than Xandros. Also if you can find your package manager, just search for java you should be able to find it easily.

Also Xandros is based on debian stable.

*Nods enthusiastically in the vain hope he can fool people into thinking he has half a clue*

I went to the Cmd, and as you mentioned, it's not found, but I have no idea what/how/is a package manager thingy nor have any idea how to get the Java client on.

Thanks for the help so far, but I also can't change the dist of Linux I'm on, it's not an option unfortunately. :(

Woop, never mind, just trawled the net and figured out how to get it installed. Doing so now. God bless the t'interweb and all the information it holds. :D

I went to the Cmd, and as you mentioned, it's not found, but I have no idea what/how/is a package manager thingy nor have any idea how to get the Java client on.

You need to look for a program called Xandros Networks, thats your package manager it should be in your System > Administration menu.