Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

Nightfall (warning: large images)

A few months ago I decided I wanted a new challenge in Wurm, so I picked the highest, most difficult to climb mountain anywhere near me and decided to settle on the very peak.

The way there requires you to follow natural hills, find a secret entrance to a cave tunnel that climbs upward inside the mountain, continue around a natural plateau and then through another gigantic cave tunnel climbing up and up, to the final ludicrously steep and winding road that ascends to the very peak.

Having eventually deeded the mountain peak, I have now completed a road which winds all the way to the very top (last section of dirt is equal in height to the rock peak underneath it) and begun construction of the 3x3 watchtower known as Nightfall Keep.

wurm.20141112.1830.jpg

wurm.20141113.1744.jpg

The keep has only one complete floor so far:

wurm.20141112.1829.jpg

But as you can see the view is already jaw-dropping!

wurm.20141112.1811_1.jpg

East

wurm.20141112.1811_2.jpg

West

wurm.20141112.1811.jpg

South

wurm.20141112.1828.jpg

SouthWest

• Like 16

Note: Do not attempt to visit yet. It's _incredibly_ dangerous with any fall from the last half of the last road section being both guaranteed fatal AND guaranteed near impossible corpse rescue. I've also closed off the last cave tunnel with a guard hut for now and closed the hidden entrance to the first one to the public as well, mostly because it just isn't safe. In fact, the way to get to the first tunnel is totally wild, tangled, easy to get lost in and packed with hostile creatures so hugely dangerous to anyone without a horse, good gear and 70fs.

Later on though I totally want to open the whole area to the public, probably once the keep is complete (it will remain desperately unsafe until it's complete) and I've got some fences on the critical bits of road.

Make a zoo up there

I will brings noobs for picnic 

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure I went up there last night, while exploring around. Def has a nice view.

• Like 1

An excellent project Shiraek! Must have been a good bit of work to even mine those caves up to the top. Great views too, to be sure. Too arduous of a journey for me to visit but I commend your efforts and hope you enjoy your continued work upon it. 

I had thought I would do something like this upon Xanadu but after I looked around for a day or so for my spot there, I promptly abandoned any further thought of this. Now I am on a much more amenable coastal spot, enjoying the choice made while building it. Slim chance of falling to my death there as well, which suits me since I am not very fond of heights.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Wow...

Simply... Wow!  :-)

What an amazing view...  Very impressive!

• Like 1

Aerial photograph of the bay to the north, folks building there may find it interesting....

wurm.20141124.0625.jpg

Shot of the outer ward under construction, taken from the peak above.

wurm.20141124.0618.jpg

Ruins in the top left are from the now defunct "cartographer's vantage". The high iron fences and high stone walls mark the deed border. Still a fair bit of dirt to level the rest of the outer ward!

And here is why you shouldn't visit yet...

wurm.20141124.0645.jpg

I believe there is no way off that pretty grassy plateau alive, and no way to get that corpse back or anything from it. And that's where you land (if you're lucky), if you fall off the mountain crest to the east :)

• Like 1

As a professional Wurm mountaineer, I can assure you that the corpse is totally recoverable. Especially if you have a Magranon priest to hand.

• Like 1

Outer ward complete. Up to raising Nightfall Keep another floor now.

wurm.20141129.0342.jpg

• Like 1

I am enjoying viewing your progress here, from a safe distance, for not so foolish am I to be lured there to my death out of curiosity. I shall leave that to others more stout of heart and lesser of judgment. Still, the thought to be above all the lands surveying them as if ones own domain does hold a certain appeal, briefly.

Well done! Carry on. What then shall tomorrow bring, I wonder.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

Yes, I am enjoying it immensely as well. Thank-you for sharing!

• Like 1

With enuff karma u can do an easy recovery and teleport but the fall would be a very painful one to be sure,

Sorry no, no real updates.

I'm now using the outer ward as a Camellia plantation, will use it to make hedges.

I've also tunnelled out to the east plateau (the place where that corpse is in the screenshot above) to ease rescue efforts after falls, and added one floor onto the keep (now a grand total of two - not very impressive), so not a huge amount going on. I'm not playing wurm much at the moment and have spent a bit of time back at The Whispering Wood and Bear Lake too.

Enclosing the eastern plateau with hedges so it can be more useful and/or safer to fall on:

wurm.20150427.0248.jpg