Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Treasure Hunts (Take 2)

So slight misunderstanding with forum mods aside, back to the original question of Treasure Hunts.

When oracle was head gm and we had treasure hunts..

For those not familiar, a while back the head GM would take gear from perma-banned player inventories (I forget if the bank contents were added) and place them in scattered special chests. No digging required.

Then he would drop scattered hints, rhymes, and other obscure clues as to the location of the swag.

Last archived thread on the matter:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/63991-chaos-treasure-hunt/?hl=treasure

Never actually found anything personally; though, still had fun with it.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Could be abused and probably best to just remove those items from the game entirely.

• Like 1

No digging required? The two chests at LO were buried underground and had to be dug up :P

Oh? Wasnt aware of those two.

Who were they for?

Could be abused and probably best to just remove those items from the game entirely.

Huh?

Using that logic Wurm wouldn't exist

Simple scenario:

What if a player figures out how to duplicate items or currency. (This happened recently)

Surely you wouldn't expect those items to be placed in the world so others can discover them and use them.

That would be quite illogical and would be detrimental to the game and its players who invest their time and money into it.

If a player is permanently removed, all items and currency should be removed with them. No questions asked.

How would you feel if they instead handed those items out to the GM staff? (I believe this used to happen long ago, which I hope is no longer the case.)

That would then create a conflict of interest as they are the police for the game. (Imagine a world where the police get to keep your property when you are placed in jail.)

Doesn't sound like a game/community I would want to invest my time and money into.

Edited by Tuanta
  • Like 1

That would then create a conflict of interest as they are the police for the game. (Imagine a world where the police get to keep your property when you are placed in jail.)

It's called asset forfeiture and you better believe it's used.  Most commonly used for confiscating property purchased with drug money.

It's called asset forfeiture and you better believe it's used.  Most commonly used for confiscating property purchased with drug money.

I don't think they take counterfeit money and recirculate it. ;)

You understand what i'm trying to say right?

I don't think they take counterfeit money and recirculate it. ;)

You understand what i'm trying to say right?

Sure, but counterfeiting isn't the only reason players get banned. And if a player is banned for counterfeiting, it stands to suggest that GMs know which items were duplicated, and therefore not distribute them.  Your point is, IMO, quite moot.

Bad idea to hand out items from banned player accounts. Players should not benefit from anything that these types have amassed from their game time. Delete their account and items and hopefully their existence within the game will then fade from memory over time. Make it like trying to find the remains of bin Laden. A more fitting non-tribute.

Like in Ultima Online, there could be a secret chamber deep within the core of Wurm that only the GM's could enter. Inside they could place the corpses of these banned players slowly burning for Wurm eternity, with a faint flickering light that would that would dimly illuminate these gloomy confines. Players considered for banning could be transported there for their final judgment before the imposing figures of these GM's. If guilty as charged a tiny bizarre enraged image, faintly resembling a combination of a Gnome and Rolf, would lash out with a lightning strike shattering the silence and starting them upon their toasty journey into these times lost into the infinity of non-existence.

*nevermore*

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Only heard about it, was never in there for any reason.

Anyways, if the player had anything questionable on them, the GMs would hardly let it out into the wild again.

And afaik any duped gold is eliminated. Otherwise its returned to the general pool, especially in cases where it was drained from the pool to begin with.

Edited by Klaa

I miss these so much, then I found my first and only one (tonygreens) it was such a rush when I finally worked out the riddle!

Items/money that was created and shouldn't have been could easily be removed from the items put into a treasure hunt. It's not rocket science.

• Like 2

Giving out forfeited assets is a great idea and it should be brought back.

Even if there are no forfeited assets to hunt for, there should still be staff-made treasure hunts, because they sound really fun and add yet more to the community spirit.

• Like 1

I'll give up on trying to explain as personal opinions and desires are known to override all forms of reason. And that's fine, i get it...

Just be aware that duplicating currency or items isn't the only form of introducing items into the game that should not be there. If you were looking at this objectively, I believe you would see that.

I have nothing against fun events (including treasure hunts), I do however obviously have an issue pulling items from banned players to do so.

Do I feel strongly enough about it to leave the game if it happens again? We'll cross that bridge when it comes to it. (Yay for bridges) :P

• Like 1

Granted the contents dont always have to be from banned players, or even managed by a GM.

For example the system UO had would auto-generate treasure hunts; though, it was pretty basic. Some map would drop from fishing, other chests, or monsters. Someone with enough skill for the map level could then follow it to a chest that might be guarded or trapped in some manner.

Wasnt unusual to come across the aftermath of such a hunt, mass corpses and an opened chest (not counting the various special spawn and treasure points on the general map).

The swag would be a mix of coins, potions, spell scrolls, etc. Nothing majorly gamebreaking while still useful; though, the really high level hunts could have some interesting pieces.

Creating a system that used cryptic hints, riddles, and the like would be a bit more difficult.

Edited by Klaa

They were quite fun. Some chests were much better than others, it was the riddles combined with the hunt for the chest once that riddle was figured out that was exciting. Some chests were good, really quite nice (I got a bok from one), some would contain nothing spectacular. A chain set and a sword, like such stuff.

The LO one I got (there were two but there were two people who dug them, so we split) was from Peo, I believe.

• Like 1

Bad idea to hand out items from banned player accounts. Players should not benefit from anything that these types have amassed from their game time. Delete their account and items and hopefully their existence within the game will then fade from memory over time. Make it like trying to find the remains of bin Laden. A more fitting non-tribute.

Like in Ultima Online, there could be a secret chamber deep within the core of Wurm that only the GM's could enter. Inside they could place the corpses of these banned players slowly burning for Wurm eternity, with a faint flickering light that would that would dimly illuminate these gloomy confines. Players considered for banning could be transported there for their final judgment before the imposing figures of these GM's. If guilty as charged a tiny bizarre enraged image, faintly resembling a combination of a Gnome and Rolf, would lash out with a lightning strike shattering the silence and starting them upon their toasty journey into these times lost into the infinity of non-existence.

*nevermore*

=Ayes=

I like this!

I've often said we need a GM court room and purgatory. GMs should summon players to the court to undergo a trial.

they cannot leave or suicide. and simply await their judgement when online.

one acquitted returned, to their deed, or,

if found guilty, summoned to a penal area where they can not do anything except reflect on their mistakes.

a game ban should be time served in this domain. with ability to read freedom chat but not speak.

let them see the disband messages of their deed.

let them watch their confiscated goods decay in a trash bin, from which they cannot take.

and finally, upon their parole, they are wizkilled and returned to the spawn with 10 oftheir skills decreased by 10% of it's original value.

simply put ...make it not worth breaking the rules! and no, don't fence counterfeit or macro-created goods. otherwise the GMS become party to the activity.

Edited by JDBooker
  • Like 2