Sign in to follow this  
Othob Rithol

Your opinion of "Challenge"

Challenge?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the recently announced "Challenge" server(s)?

• I strongly approve / Very Positive
    • I approve / Positive
    • I have no feelings either way
    • I disapprove / Negative
    • I strongly disapprove / Very Negative
    • I choose to not answer this question.

I think it best we get a clean poll up before the forums get spammed with biased ones.

Please just answer and go, but if you do stay to argue then please be respectful of other player's opinions and follow forum rules.

Edited by Othob Rithol
  • Like 2

No Answer:  If it fails to attract attention it's not a perm server so would be easy to remove.  If it succeeds, then all the glory to Rolf!

Edit: Wait, isn't "No Answer" the same as "I have no feelings either way"?

Edited by bwg

No Answer:  If it fails to attract attention it's not a perm server so would be easy to remove.  If it succeeds, then all the glory to Rolf!

Edit: Wait, isn't "No Answer" the same as "I have no feelings either way"?

I'll edit it to make it more clear.

Edited by Othob Rithol

I voted for I approve/Positive as I feel it's a very logical step for testing the new features they mentioned. They can't exactly test how monthly resets and rapid skill gains work out on existing servers, can they? If they do that and it turns out that it's an abysmal failure then that's one or more servers, with years of work (including character skills!), all ruined.

Since it's using a reset often format, it's easy to remove if it doesn't work out, and the parts which do work can then still be adapted to existing PvP servers. So I think what they are doing now is much better than dumping these changes directly on PvP servers to see how it works out.

If it does work out then it should probably be removed, and the changes should then be added to Epic, but of course only if the population of Epic actually agrees to that.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

By not clicking vote, I chose not to answer... or something.  Yea, I picked the middleground.  This has no direct impact on anyone except those who lose players to the server from their kingdom or village.

I think it's a good idea to get the more pvp shy Freedom folks to have a go without risk as well as introduce Wurm pvp to new players without having to spend an age (comparatively) grinding on Freedom or to a lesser extent, Epic, before being able to get stuck in. Also, level playing fields are just what people want as an option vs always playing catchup elsewhere.

This is going to be good for Wurm and there are going to be benefits to the established userbase as well as pvp enriched folks on Challenge eventually migrate to the real game and settle on Chaos / Epic with new characters and boundless enthusiasm for the ultimate Wurm experience.

Course, short term people from Freedom / Epic may venture over for a fiddle about or a change of pace but I doubt all but the newest players would abandon their lives here for an eternity of endless resets on Challenge.

The new server is a hoover to suck up new players, not dilute the existing ones. New players are more likely to stick around and move onto Freedom / Epic if they have some quick and easy fun at the start of their experience rather than the hit and miss new player experience they will get elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I'm fairly sure this is pretty much the idea behind Epic?

Is Rolf going to change his minds again about resets etc again and then we'll just end up with an Epic v2 which is even easier mode? 

• Like 5

I clicked disapprove for personal reasons: I don't pvp in games anymore, so I'd rather have dev time devoted to PvE (selfish, I know).

• Like 1

Sounds massively similar to what Epic was originally supposed to be. I don't know how well it will do, just makes me think Epic was a waste of time.

• Like 4

I just don't understand who the target customer is?

Current players? Besides the "initial" free period, you expect people to pay for yet another premium character or give up their old one?

None of my gaming friends would be interested in this, so I have no one I can recommend this to.

My 9yo would probably love it - but monthly resets would actually be too long a time-frame for his attention-span, and then we come to the issue where if he wants us to pay for a game, he would have to prove it wasn't just a short term interest.... and so far he has never succeeded in doing that.

• Like 2

We don't even know what it is or how it will work yet and everyone is against it already they should have just kept it secret till the launch. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

I don't understand. When Epic was added it was suggested that that was going to be the fast paced server; and now we are going to get another one? So we are going to have a relatively small PvP player base spread out over 3 clusters?

We are already spread out far too much IMO; it can literally take 10 hours to sail around from one server to the other - not a good idea to make it even worse IMO.

If you really wanted to introduce things like scoreboards or competitive games why not just add them to the existing server? No offense but Epic isn't even finished yet; Valeri is still a mess.... this idea just seems to out of the blue lol.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 2

I strongly disapprove / Very Negatve (19 votes [44.19%])

I think its a gigantic waste of resources/dev time, there is 1 full cluster + 1 extra server with pvp enabled, the players in those servers are constantly asking for improvements and above all bugs fixing. Instead they got a new server with almost surely the same old bugs not fixed, and lack of improvements asked.

While is true to an extent that this move can maybe attract some of the pve players to try pvp, the most probable result of this new server will be spreading even more the currrent population of pvp servers.

• Like 7

im not really interested in the new server if i could take my existing character then maybe im not making a new one

I don't understand why there are resources and time being spent on new pvp options when the current ones are not even used to their full extent. Also I don't understand why there is a need to focus on pvp when overwhelming number of the player base is pve and have no interest in pvp. What is starting to happen in wurm is that we are getting eye candy given to us and the issues that need to be addressed and fixed are not being addressed. Many other games have gone this route and it does not work. This year alone we have received,

Promises of bridges

Promises of new boats

sheep

whales

seals

turtles

crabs

new hats

new furniture

to much to list

This is all good, but these items should be worked on and added to the game after bug fixes and other major issues are addressed, not given to us as a way to appease us for a short amount of time. Many games have come and gone because of this way of thinking, its sad to see wurm start down this path...

• Like 8

Massive waste of time.  People will try it and a month later forget about it and it will just be another dust collector like Epic.  They need to finish things they are working on and not just start a new project every week.

• Like 2

Personally, I think people will grow tired of starting over with skills, building, grinding, and losing money to the money sink and eventually go back to where everything lasts for years -- in the real Wurm.

Personally, I think people will grow tired of starting over with skills, building, grinding, and losing money to the money sink and eventually go back to where everything lasts for years -- in the real Wurm.

Depends really the game ATITD resets the whole game every year or two and it has a strong following to it. They work hard over there to get the tests done knowing that it will all be wiped in the end but they are more pve i guess with no combat at all. 

Edited by Kegan

Massive waste of time.  People will try it and a month later forget about it and it will just be another dust collector like Epic.  They need to finish things they are working on and not just start a new project every week.

/\

This

75% of the population of this game plays PVE, and yet Rolf keeps trying to force feed us PVP  No Thanks 

• Like 4

to force feed us PVP  

Ah yes, because you're going to log in today into the middle of a raid, on the freedom server you chose to play on, congrats.

This is just trying to give good things to the players, normally a new server is fun and amazing, except when it comes to the pvp crowd it's the exact opposite. Other things need to be done besides opening new servers with more and more skillgain.

• Like 8

I will wait to see how it pans out, but as others have stated, Epic 2.0. I was hoping the secret was a purge day for people on freedom. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I can see any real downsides to it, apart from fracturing the PVP playerbase as mentioned above.  At its worst it will be something completely neutral for most players.  I'd be interested in learning more on it, such as the duration of the rounds, and if there's sped up actions such as terraforming.  It could be fun to not have to put weeks of work into building up a properly defended deed, but I guess the attackers would be granted the same luxury.

• Like 1

In my opinion it has pros and cons.

The biggest con is noticeable that it's the THIRD PvP cluster for a community so small, it divides people up more, which I don't know... If you were to eliminate Epic and make this, then it makes sense, but adding it on now seems like it's stretching the community even more thin.  I think the concept is cool, but it's a concept that requires a lot of players to really have intense battles at a faster pace, and if you don't have players, it's just faulty.

The pro is that to me it sounds more fun.  I like(d) Epic, but Epic became much like Wild, a grind factory and PvP between the grinding.  It's cool and dandy that some people want to spend all their time on Wurm, and it be the only game they play, and get 99 archery/fighting/fishing/whatever, that's fine, but it's not really that greatest appeal to some.  People don't want to always "work" in a game, they want to have fun.  It's not like in Counter-Strike you have to rummage around the map to find scrap metal to make a gun, you just get one, and play.  It's instant.  Not everyone has the time nor mindset to envelop themselves to Wurm like others, and some just want to get on, swing a sword, and laugh.  I'd want that.  I think if there wasn't so much work involved and fear of losing that people would be a bit more wild and careless to go out and throw themselves at the enemy.  People don't really do that much now.  

It's not a bad concept, but the issue is people who've already set their feet in Epic/Chaos aren't going to want to lose all they've worked on, but I don't really think Epic is fixable either.  I think though honestly more new players would inclined to play on Challenge knowing it's pretty care-free and work-free.  If you want to work hard and grind up, just stick to Epic/Chaos.  It's not really going to shut those servers down.  

Edited by Postes
  • Like 2

The art & dev staff additions, graphic updates and content additions have been great.
However it boggles my mind that such a great sandbox game will spend more time and resources on a new (epic like) concept server.
When there is so much more to do on the existing content.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein

I voted against the idea, but then again I am a strictly PVE player so I may not be entirely objective.

Edit: I revised my vote to neutral after reading other points of view.

Edited by Huserx
  • Like 1