permo

Vote about Challange server

96 members have voted

1. 1. Rolfs idea or "my" idea

• Rolfs idea
    • This idea
    • No "Challange"-server at all

"My" idea:

Just make it a "quick instance" map available from every server instead. With like different "weekend competitions" that gives everybody an quick escape from their "real world" aka Freedom/Epic, someplace you could just go for some silly fun when grinding bores you out. I know this idea need more "fleetching out" but IMO, something like this would be a better adition then "challange" as it is now,

Edited by permo

Issue is Permo this is all about the $$$. If you can teleport the already prem chars over, Rolf and co arent getting the dolla for the new chars we have to prem to play it.

Issue is Permo this is all about the $$$. If you can teleport the already prem chars over, Rolf and co arent getting the dolla for the new chars we have to prem to play it.

everyone on that server is premium for free if i read that correctly

Yeah I just say don't worry about it at all. Making it on weekends only kill PvP on other servers, due to most major planned events being on the weekends. Good effort, but I feel like the idea is just too stupid in its entirety to be revised.

everyone on that server is premium for free if i read that correctly

Initially we will make this available for you free of charge so everyone can try it out.

So every account will be premium on the challenge server.

Do note "initially".

• Like 2

No one said you had to play on it. Having another option is never a bad thing in my opinion and will please the ones that don't want to grind for years to be competitive in the PVP part of the game. 

Could you add get rid of it to the poll options?

Done.

yeah get rid this and add extra siege weapons to Epic.

Kegan with all respect to you but adding next server and further splittlig low population will not help PvP. Most of us likes their characters and not accept resets!

Edited by Gamurin
  • Like 1

The challenge thing is what Epic was suppose to be.

While even the original idea for Epic wasn't for me I think we can all agree that it is absurd to start working on another pvp system and separate pvp again.

Don't add it. We don't need to spread the population out even more. Let's fix PvP, Chaos, and Epic instead of using this to cover it up.

Total Population: 907/8,000     I rest my case.

• Like 1

No one said you had to play on it. Having another option is never a bad thing in my opinion and will please the ones that don't want to grind for years to be competitive in the PVP part of the game. 

Not true. More options always mean more spread out players. In normal circumstances more options is a good thing, but this game is already dangerously low on numbers. When Chaos has 100 people on it is already called high pop, that is just ridiculous. More options at this point just create much higher chances to get no pvp for those who want on any existing or new option because of the already low player count.

You can add more options if the old options are running smoothly and the new option will unlikely harm the former. This situation does not exist today and will not in a month either.

Probably the best think we can all do is not even once log into new servers.

Well it is clear that the old option is not working so they are making a new option to see how it goes. The only reason you are complaining is that you don't want less players to fight but if your server was so great then that would not be an issue to start with they would never leave anyway.  That is not the case though no one is playing there so they are trying something new nothing wrong with that. 

This new fast no holds bar nothing matters system might bring in a lot of new players and the pve crowd over to it also. I know i am going to have a go at it. 

Edited by Kegan

Well it is clear that the old option is not working so they are making a new option to see how it goes. The only reason you are complaining is that you don't want less players to fight but if your server was so great then that would not be an issue to start with they would never leave anyway. That is not the case though no one is playing there so they are trying something new nothing wrong with that.

This new fast no holds bar nothing matters system might bring in a lot of the pve crowd over to it also. I know i am going to have a go at it.

This isn't a new idea, this is Epic in a nutshell. Epic was suppose to have events, skill resets, fast skilling up. It has some of those ideas still, but Rolf decidied that people didn't want that so he never did the skill resets and stuff. I think Rolf has accepted that Epic failed so he is trying to recreate it. It is his idea of how he wants Wurm to be and not ours and I think that is part of the problem.

The biggest problem though is what we saw when Epic came out. Chaos/Wild nearly died and Rolf ignored it for a couple of years to work on Epic. He even removed kingdoms from Chaos and forced everyone to convert to freedom. This is because he simply cannot maintain two or more different server code by himself. Now Chaos has gotten a lot of updates that originally Epic only had.

I think some of us older players are just seeing history repeat itself and would just like Rolf to fix the old pvp system and add new features to it instead of making a another system and neglecting the old one. If wurm had more players and Rolf had more help only then would I think that this makes any sense.

Well this is a way for him to test pvp builds on the fly until he finds one that works then he can move what works over to the existing servers. Once there is feedback and a few rounds of this under the belt he will get a better understanding of how things work or don't work. 

Well this is a way for him to test pvp builds on the fly until he finds one that works then he can move what works over to the existing servers. Once there is feedback and a few rounds of this under the belt he will get a better understanding of how things work or don't work.

Or he could just listen to the players about PvP for once instead of feeding us changes we don't want

Or he could just listen to the players about PvP for once instead of feeding us changes we don't want

And what ones does he listen too there are many players wanting many different things. 

And what ones does he listen too there are many players wanting many different things.

Simple, just go with the majority. Which atm is obviously don't make some stupid challenge server

Simple, just go with the majority. Which atm is obviously don't make some stupid challenge server

Well that is not going to happen it is almost done now so complain all you like it will not stop anything. 

Anyway i am done with all this new challenge server talk for the day i think it is great and look forward to giving it a go. 

Edited by Kegan

Well that is not going to happen it is almost a done now

If it's released on time sure will surprise me

Hello Wurmians!

Challenge is something that is needed for several reasons and by being separate it does not need to follow the same rules.

Ideally it could serve as a gateway to wurm pvp benefiting the epic cluster long term by providing a platform with a much lower threshold and plain leveled playing field for those interested in trying Wurm.

Because in reality, we would never get epics player base to agree to server cross wipes on both skills and land right?

What this also does is limit anything we want to drastically change to alter the recipe for skillgain etc as it affects the value and time investment in characters etc.

On challenge however with a clear mindset of initially having at least a monthly server wipe, we have the freedom to change anything to fit the specific challenge making things very interesting from both gameplay and gamedesign perspective.

Also, we can find an interesting dynamic formula for a more quick paced Wurm online experience to offer.

Talking about recipes and such, I see some are talking about having to grind from 0 each restart.

This is easily addressed and planned into the initial release.

Firstly, when I said ultra fast skill gain I truly mean it. You will not need to grind much at all.

Secondly, we can start out Challenge characters with a pre set skill level to already be sufficient to create ok armor and weapons etc.

I know it is not for everyone, but at least for me personally I have always wanted to try Wurm in such a game mode.

Knowing how it feels from the perspective of someone who has built allot with a dev character where you can build quickly and without much limitations.

It is a very interesting concept to truly unlock all that Wurm has to offer and letting loose a truly creative chaos in an MMO environment.

The thought here is also that even with a player population that does not come close to the freedom cluster it will still feel highly populated.

We are going to start out with having a pretty small and intimate environment where territorial control and struggle becomes more tangible.

Where travel distance/ time does not count much into the equation.

And the loss for dying in a raid is not bad enough to make you feel you have to prepare for days before trying again ;)

Where emphasis shift from grinding and gear to going into action and just having fun.

Why not try and help us make this into a truly fun experience?

Because player input will be much easier to include both on a scenario and gameplay level now that we will have a platform that is agile and not set in stone.

• Like 2

It seems pretty unanimous that most people on PvP servers don't think this is a good idea IMHO.

Even from everyone:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/113753-your-opinion-of-challenge/

60.26% negative 21.85% positive.

-edit (This being the proposed idea from the dev's; not this thread)

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1