Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 46

exactly what I was thinking. mind you I don't play on epic, the thing that always tempted me was the skill gain... so, what else might epic POSSIBLY EVER OFFER me? lmao

Well that was more of a joke since i knew the pvp players would blow up about the whole deal but epic it might actually cause it to close. I don't think the same for chaos though i think it will be fine and actually grow more eventually with this new thing. 

• Like 1

exactly what I was thinking. mind you I don't play on epic, the thing that always tempted me was the skill gain... so, what else might epic POSSIBLY EVER OFFER me? lmao

Still the increased skillgain and effective skillcurve. Also, the server as well as your skills NOT being reset every so often.

Edited by Raamkozijn

Whoa holdon... RL bling based on Wurm designs is available?

Not that the Fo ones werent nice. I liked those.

EDIT: Also called it... we're doomed.

Edited by Klaa

what about advertising i see no point of new servers if there is hardly any new players to fill them.

I like the new jewelry. But... No equip slot for bracers and necklaces... Are you saying that like in hats we'll have to trade protection for bling?

Cause i mean, if you leave home (i mean you don't wear your best bling at home, do you?), you'll usually don your armor... Cause there's bad things out there... Plus good armor is part of the bling... It kinda sux if we have to pick to either use a seryl plate jacket or a gold necklace... With the pre-paperdoll system we could have 2-3 items in the same slot (like having ring, glove and weapon in hand slots, or bracers and sleeve in arm slots) now that doesn't work afaik...

Other than that, i'm excited to try bridges. Sad to hear that you'll launch both bridges and the challenge mode at the same time. I'm thinking you'll end up losing on that. Because many people either will go to normal servers and build the much-awaited bridges, or they'll go make a new char to go to the new servers.

Necklaces have a slot (neck), and are even coded to work as nolocater jewelry (have some equipped on my chars along with nolo rings, I like the silver!  :ph34r: ).

Bracers do not have a slot (afaik), and don't recall if they are coded for nolocate.

At least I don't recall them being tested when Rolf was working on it.

Edited by Klaa

oh boy can't wait to build a bridge!

and is it me or are those floor boards different colors? Is there going to be wood type differences?

Awesome update btw!

we don't really need bling

how about dyeable clothing?

this, ^^^

the bling is fabulous but making unique clothing is even nicer :)

Epic failed??? News to me.....

I too am not all that excited about a test server with PvP....  Bring the new content to Epic where it should be!

I too am not all that excited about a test server with PvP....  Bring the new content to Epic where it should be!

now you know how people on freedom feel when it something happens on epic only.

• Like 2

I can't wait to have yet another cluster of people with completely different skillgain and playstyle be able to affect my gameplay via mechanic suggestion changes, etc!!

/sarcasm

So, this was the big news, eh? Epic 2.0...  :rolleyes: 

Maybe bridges and the Challenge server will intersect in intriguing ways.

7F46fNj.jpg

• Like 4

Love the floors and jewelry but wondered, are there any plans to make jewelry useful (enchanted)?

The concept of the new server; one that resets often and is super fast gameplay isn't necessary bad but I really don't like the idea of it being a separate cluster and still believe Epic was a really silly decision as it essentially created 2 versions of Wurm which are not interconnected; furthermore with the Freedom cluster being spread out over 20 servers or whatever travel between them really needs to be improved because at the moment it can literally take 2 days to sail from one to the other; how you do it is up for debate; either by a round world that wraps around (ie more server crossings) or faster sailing when you get near the coast (trade winds) - regardless the situation really does need to be improved as sailing for hours on end is NOT fun.

But anyway back on topic why not allow players from both Epic and Freedom to teleport in to this server with their existing inventory and skills from the current cluster; with ability to teleport back and forth - and reset it every week. It would still be a fun place to mess around with super fast timers and not need to be a separate cluster. You can say this is a PvP only server but look at it with a open mind; you could teleport in and do some really nice terraform work within a few days if it was sped up enough; it could have PvE scenarios too possibly; like maybe a mission where the first person to raise a dirt spike over 10,000 steep gets 50kg of glimmersteel spawned at their Freedom/Epic deed.

Possible issues:

- People will improve items on Epic where it is easy and move them to Freedom; or drake will find it's way into Epic

Solution: Any items that are gained on the server stay on the server other than the scenario/mission rewards which spawn at your deed token on respective server. To make looting worthwhile maybe make it so when you sacrifice armor/weapons/shields etc you are given copper/silver coins depending on perceived value from the kings coffers from Challenge server economy only; and that can be the way to redistribute the coins instead of traders.

- Epic players get unfair advantage due to faster skils

Solution: Honestly on a server like this I don't think anyone cares but you could give them some sort of reverse curve if you felt it was necessary to nerf their skills a little. Remember Epic players have trashy body stamina due to only gaining it from woodcutting too thou so they should possibly get a curve applied to that.

- The faster action timers could give people crazy skills that they take back to Freedom/Epic

Most skills are not gained by actions done but instead action time; but regardless a solution could be to simply make it that any skills gained on the server are not taken back to existing servers.

If the main reason this was being implemented was to create a server where people had a fresh start every time (skills and all) - I think it's not going to work because even if skilling is 100x faster I can't imagine anyone would bother if they knew it was all going to be wiped in a week or month or whatever; you'd probably only have the brand new players on it which I can't see would cover costs. Even when playing Minecraft which is really fast people generally like to save their world and work on it for a few weeks or months.

wurm-year.png

^ Elevation showing a drop

wurm-year.png

^ Ok so Affliction getting a new map helped alot temporarily but it's still not looking that great compared to last year

wurm-year.png

^ do I even need to say anything?

wurm-year.png

^ This is the only one that looks halfdecent

I'm not sure if saying epic 'failed' is the right word to use but it's certainly not a roaring success where it tops out at 110-140 players over the whole cluster; so I don't understand why we are going to create what is essentially Epic v2.0 - should just try and fix Epic and make it actually 'Epic' and not just Freedom with slightly faster skillgain.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 2

I think it's good that rolf is open for trying out news things and seriously I don't think that epic will be "doomed" with that new server at all. Epic has it's own special place in wurm and it's normal for wurm that after an initial release of a new server (no matter if connected or not) the playercounts are going down....btw. seasonal ALL playercounts on ALL servers go down, based on people being busy with school or working or depending in what time people have vacation :P

December is usually the time when everything goes radically up, sommertime around july is usually going down (people tend to go outside more often) so there is alot of fluctuation. Even Xanadu lost players after some time, since the "new" feeling is being harvested from it. Same will happen to the new server.

one thing I hope though, is that the server actually resets every month, that way people are always starting the same again and they can make some sort of vacation from normal wurm gameplay for just a month which is the minimum premium time you can buy :D and it requires no commitment at all. The idea actually feels like those real life strategy games, where everything is build up fast and destroyed fast and then there comes a new map :)

Gavin I don't care what the number of subs is....  I play Epic and love Epic its FAR better then chaos. 

I don't want carebear land and I dont want 24/7 pvp either... The way Epic is set up is perfect nice wide open area your not tripping over people epic is far from a failure!

• Like 1

Cant wait for bridges and animations!

Edited by encode

Love the floors and jewelry but wondered, are there any plans to make jewelry useful (enchanted)?

pretty useful on pvp servers.

Someone need to stop rolf spending our money on new servers pls.... Make one you have better....

• New Raid functionality which will include things like more siege weapons, defensive turrets and expanded functionality for the guard towers.

Does that mean towers are finally going to have proper collisions?

I'd see that new server as a freedom cluster playground rather than a new soon-to-be abaddoned scriptfest where you can do same things over and over again (this is what wurm skills are all about) with exception that you will have to start all over again from time to time. Monthly resets won't make casual players stay there for long. What about keeping normal skillgain and letting your character from freedom cluster play around with their skills being the only thing they can 'take' with them. The goals should enforce teamplay and cooperation. Skill curve for combat skills on challenges server could help new players get on par with old players when it comes to PvP. Reward system for participating in challenges should award the winners with items and titles they can find useful on other freedom servers. This way you could 'go to campaign' with your main character, have some fun there fighting other players and completing goals without fear of loosing precious eqipment while hoping to bring back some booty.

Another thing - dont you think decaying of briges would make them rather useless off deed?

Like I pointed out in another thread:

The decision to so substantially change the game is something you cannot do with a game that isn't in Beta. Wurm Online is a RELEASED game (supposedly) and the paying playerbase chose to pay for the product that was Wurm Online when it became released. I do not wish to pay for a Challenge server nor should I have to.

Rolf can do whatever he wants with it, but he should do it on money that isn't revenue from Wurm Online because this isn't what we're paying for.

Besides, isn't the staff understaffed as it is with major bugs lurking around for months?