Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 46

LssNW46L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

This is the day.

What day? Thursday?

Yes, but it is also the day to reveal the secret project.

I have been smiling at the threads trying to guess at what it might be.

But I will hold you in suspense no longer.

It is time to

Share some News!

Challenge - Build the Battlefield

A server with a new action packed, competitive version of Wurm!

Challenge is a very different platform where we will host competitive games with different themes and goals.

Each challenge ends in a Scoreboard of all participants, winners of prizes and a total reset of both World and Skills.

So each challenge we start will be unique and everyone starts with the same stats.

The only thing you keep between rounds is titles earned, any remaining currency you have and what you are refunded from deeds etc.

We will announce that, prizes and competitive categories later.

The aim with this very new take on Wurm is to have a place for those who want as little grind as possible and focus on fun and competitive play.

Keeping this in mind let me list some of the core features in the initial Challenge.

• New Raid functionality which will include things like more siege weapons, defensive turrets and expanded functionality for the guard towers.

• Ultra fast skilling even on failed actions.

• Super short timers.

• No repair for walls and fences while in combat.

• Strategic Resource spawn points which gives the kingdom that controls them an abundance of building and crafting materials.

• The first challenge will last one month and we’ll see how it feels

Initially we will make this available for you free of charge so everyone can try it out.

So every account will be premium on the challenge server.

It is completely separate from all other servers but we will try to enable you to teleport there.

It would work pretty much like the separation between epic and freedom, separate skills and inventory.

So either you create a new account specifically for the challenge server or play with your main but with nothing other then your name and look transfered.

To clarify, your character would only be wiped regularly on the challenge server.

Once you go back to your original server you will still have the same stats and inventory as when you left. Unaffected by the transfer in either direction.

Currency would be transferable between the servers with your account and any refunds etc you get on Challenge can be carried back.

If you have premium time on you account it will however stay on the same timer even if Challenge is on free premium.

Follow this Link to discuss Challenge more in depth.

Initial Release Date of Challenge and Bridges!

We are releasing Challenge and Bridges at the same time, along with some other things.

The plan is to release them both within a month from now!!

Get hyped Wurmians!

Skill Tracker

You will with the next client update be able to use the skill tracker in pretty much the same way as the toolbelt.

So basically you can save several presets for which skills you want to track.

Then just load them as you change your activities.

Convenient!

Medieval Bling

Rings.png

Wox contacted two interesting medieval craftsmen/ jewelers originally from Iceland but nowadays working out of the USA.

They agreed we could use their jewelry as models and textures in Wurm online and Wox is already working on making this possible.

The idea is to implement them in the way that you wear them on the outside of your armor or clothing so it is visual and appealing.

Also so no one will miss your obvious upgrade in status and fashion sensibility.

Primarily we are focusing on necklaces, bracelets and rings.

Bling1.pngBling2.png

Check out the very talented medieval craftsmen/ jewelers here!

http://www.urweg.com/

The Beauty of Battle

Animations

Some of you might have noticed that our creatures have a bit of “twitch†to them at times.

What I mean is that in certain cases they instantly change in between animations when finishing an attack and are already in the middle of the next one.

This causes the creature to snap to the middle of the next animation.

You might think this is because at times they get overly excited.

And who wouldn't with a tasty Wurmian on the menu?

But no, it is a matter of code.

So this is what we are looking into, but not only that.

We are also trying to see to it that we get a more even spread in what types of attacks are used.

Therefore we would get more variety in the creatures behavior.

Fighting Proximity

So this is another one of those things to make fighting a bit more enjoyable.

It has to do with the so called hitboxes.

To shortly explain that, think of your skin as your personal hitbox.

It is the proximity that determines when a hit comes in contact with your body.

This in games is usually a bit more simplified and we mostly use a an outer box around creatures to measure your range of attack.

This is then compared to optimal distance of attack which in turn affects your effectivity.

The problem currently is that the system does not always scale in an optimal way.

For those of you who have fought big foes like Spawn of Uttacha know this first hand.

You even know it intimately, because the fact is that you actually need to be inside the creature to achieve the optimal fighting distance.

Intimacy is all well but seriously, how about some personal space!

That is why our coder that needs the most personal space at the office is on the case.

ErikN, we humbly put our trust in your boundary issues.

Floor rotation

RotateFloors.jpg

As we all know about the Wurm community, why have it one way when you can have the other?

Therefore it is always at the heart of us devs to see to it that you may have a choice.

At least for the most part.

So we are working on enabling floor rotation for ladder openings and floors in general so you get that added control over your layout.

Pretty neat huh?

Tapestry Competition

It is time for another competition!

So after last weeks reveal of the tapestries we had many suggestions for new motifs.

But the best suggestion of them all was to have a competition between you Wurmians, you know how I love to make you work a bit.

The theme is as you might suspect to paint a new Tapestry motif or pattern.

You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself, in other words do not paint the painting on a tapestry.

What you want to paint is entirely up to you but we will of course be looking for the most suitable one for the game.

Because the winning contribution will be added to the game!

Competition starts today and we will choose a winner which will be announced in the weekly update 2 weeks from now so week 48.

So make sure your contribution is in at the latest Wednesday 26th of November.

Follow this Link to get to the competition submissions page.

This is for real Wurmians, can you believe it?

Bridges is almost within your grasp and the countdown is short!

And Challenge? It will be so exciting!

Not only for players but for us as developers to be creative with setting up different challenges.

There is so much potential in this!

I need a moment to compose myself, sorry.

Ok, I remember.

There is only one thing left to say

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 34

Can't wait to see bridges and new animations. Good Job guys!  B)

second!

on the other hand, nice going! :)

Edited by Elwood2

Can't wait to see bridges and new animations. Good Job guys!  B)

It is not really new animations. It is a matter of well functioning animations ;)

wow that sounds like a new wave of fun already.

I hope the battlefield will integrate well and bring more revenue to the game for those gamers that like it more fast paced and competitive.

Aye!  Terrific additions!

However...

A server with a new action packed, competitive version of Wurm!

Challenge is a very different platform where we will host competitive games with different themes and goals.

Each challenge ends in a Scoreboard of all participants, winners of prizes and a total reset of both World and Skills.

So each challenge we start will be unique and everyone starts with the same stats.

The only thing you keep between rounds is titles earned, any remaining currency you have and what you are refunded from deeds etc.

We will announce that, prizes and competitive categories later.

Some questions:

1.  Players will have to spend silver to plop down a deed which will then be wiped 30 days later?  Will refunds be the complete 10s?

2.  Will players have access to the bank so they can store their accumulated wealth?  If so, will the bank be connected to the rest of FA?

3.  Will players eventually be able to leave Challenge and go to the rest of Wurm or will they be forever locked into Challenge?

Edited by Eyesgood

OKay a new dawn for wurm will this kill the other pvp servers? 

Interesting update. Is it weird that the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the ability to rotate ladders?

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1

Bridges! Finally.

Not so impressed by the "Challenge"-stuff. Kinda looks like its finally become obvious that Epic failed and this is just a new attempt.

I'd rather see new siege weapons on the current PvP servers.

• Like 6

I am really happy for the bridges! Great news. 

Also love the furniture and tapestry.

The idea of making hats, and new bling, all good, the only thing that might enhance the value of these new items would be to the ability to see your toon in the game.

Perhaps one day?

Can we pleace have some tapestries for walls that are double height also? :P

• Like 2

Bridges - Awesome

Animations - Awesome

Introducing a new server aka Minecraft Moba - le sigh 

• Like 2

I am really happy for the bridges! Great news. 

Also love the furniture and tapestry.

The idea of making hats, and new bling, all good, the only thing that might enhance the value of these new items would be to the ability to see your toon in the game.

Perhaps one day?

I could swear that there used to be a third person camera mode, I'm sure i'm not just imagining this, does anyone else remember it or not?

Can't they just disconnect the banking system and let people port over to the new server?

Firestarter a almost 3rd person view snuck onto live for a few days. It is still on test but it's considered for testing and not for live at the moment.

Wow bridges within a month ?!?! I'm still not holding my breath :P

• Like 3

Looking forward to the Challenge server.

But a bit disappointed if this was the "Secret Project".

• Like 1

See, this is what we want from updates. Content announced, release dates announced, shiny fluff additions and teased future features all in one go.  All boxes are ticked.

Do it like this always for maximum Wurmian happiness.

Oh, I don't want to jinx it but I haven't noticed any problem with religious domains so far today so fingers crossed that got fixed today on the down low.

Edited by Busted
  • Like 2

Cool on the bridges soon, and the other stuff, but isn't a ramped-up version of Epic just going to spread the players even thinner?

• Like 1

Interesting update. Is it weird that the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the ability to rotate ladders?

Me too. Challenges zzzz

Cool on the bridges soon, and the other stuff, but isn't a ramped-up version of Epic just going to spread the players even thinner?

Exactly, bridges are just being used to gain brownie points while they commit another huge server mistake!!

• Like 4