Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Challenge - Build the Battlefield!

And pulling out nukes is a suckie move... unless you are the one doing it (or Ghandi).

-1 anything that further splits the pvp community = fail.

Instead of splitting the community you should just move all epic accounts to freedom/chaos and delete epic. Epics 10 year old month accounts won't be as strong as the chaos vets.

And instead of deleting accounts at the end of challenges convert them to chaos as well.

New players can use the challenge server as basic training. They wull get the increased skill gain allowing them to become competitive faster and they will have pvp experience at the end of the challenge ready to join chaos.

Edit. I can see then first challenge being successful but I doubt people will continue to do them with their characters reset every time.

Edited by Morrowen
  • Like 1

And totally ignoring the fact of the resources and time invested into a failed idea, without mentioning the reputation damage.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/01/eve-online-phoebe/

"Well this idea has a chance to fail, so let's just not bother doing it", seems a horrible way to go through life.

And I'd be very surprised if any improvements that come from this thing (e.g. the new siege weapons etc that were hinted in the announcement) didn't get transferred to the main servers if this idea does fail.

• Like 4

"Well this idea has a chance to fail, so let's just not bother doing it", seems a horrible way to go through life.

And I'd be very surprised if any improvements that come from this thing (e.g. the new siege weapons etc that were hinted in the announcement) didn't get transferred to the main servers if this idea does fail.

this seems like an okay idea but i think a pve version of this that allows people to use "challenge portal" or something to go to a pve challenge server with some kind of special events happening there would work much better.

but i guess im crazy for thinking its a good idea to focus on what most players want.

please budda finish upgrading the wurmplanner if you can,many of us are still waiting.

Edited by Tpikol

"a chance to fail" is a very good euphemism for "is very likely to fail".

Anyway, in the end it sums up as how you measure the success/fail chances, personally I would rate this with a 85% chance of failure.

Plus I didn't put the word to do that, thou I put part of the money that funded said idea.

But I have to say that I'm interested on the siege weapons, as right now deeds have dirtwalls, moats, minedoors and long houses as protection.

Also +1 for the rigorous testing procedure.

Edited by Alec

A lot of people are quite attached to their names and would like to use their current characters to get these cool titles/rewards, it also opens up a lot more options if it's linked to the current servers. I'll bullet proof a system that would work really well.

• Anybody from anywhere can enter the challenge.
  • Everyone gets the same skill set and same gear to start the challenge.
  • When you die, you go back to which server you're from and have to wait an hr before re-entering, upon which you get the new set of gear.
  • Throughout the challenge have goals that players can achieve, some examples of these are village/fortresses players can conquer to use as bases and to gain loot, towers, resource points with battle-camps on them, big bosses that give strong weapons/armour, farmlands which have a bunch of speedy horses etc...
  • Conquering these points and holding them will accumulate points throughout the challenge.
  • Team with most points at the end of the challenge win and get rewards (titles could be acquired after winning multiple challenges).
  • Recommended run time of 1 week-1month.

This is a far better system as it allows everyone to play together and just do the pvp without any of the slow crafting/skilling people do on the other servers. It also gives everyone a chance to compete and create teams, a great way to show freedom players what pvp is about and potentially gain new recruits for the current pvp servers. 

Even with your current suggestion, 1 month is just too short of time. Even with super speed skills people will still need to grind and to grind they must start from scratch each time which is going to be finding wemp and other seeds, setting up villages, getting all villages setup and by the time this is all done they've invested quite a lot of time for something that they're just going to have to re-do again in 3 weeks. Having everything preset like in my suggestion eliminates this and allows people to get straight into the fun, while being available for everybody, anywhere, anytime.

Hello Wurmians!

I do understand your skepticism of this and change is always a bit scary.

Let me just first underline that most things added to challenge would also be added to the epic cluster.

Challenge is something that is needed for several reasons and by being separate it does not need to follow the same rules.

Ideally it could serve as a gateway to wurm pvp benefiting the epic cluster long term by providing a platform with a much lower threshold and plain leveled playing field for those interested in trying Wurm.

Because in reality, we would never get epics player base to agree to server cross wipes on both skills and land right?

What this also does is limit anything we want to drastically change to alter the recipe for skillgain etc as it affects the value and time investment in characters etc.

On challenge however with a clear mindset of initially having at least a monthly server wipe, we have the freedom to change anything to fit the specific challenge making things very interesting from both gameplay and gamedesign perspective.

Also, we can find an interesting dynamic formula for a more quick paced Wurm online experience to offer.

Talking about recipes and such, I see some are talking about having to grind from 0 each restart.

This is easily addressed and planned into the initial release.

Firstly, when I said ultra fast skill gain I truly mean it. You will not need to grind much at all.

Secondly, we can start out Challenge characters with a pre set skill level to already be sufficient to create ok armor and weapons etc.

I know it is not for everyone, but at least for me personally I have always wanted to try Wurm in such a game mode.

Knowing how it feels from the perspective of someone who has built allot with a dev character where you can build quickly and without much limitations.

It is a very interesting concept to truly unlock all that Wurm has to offer and letting loose a truly creative chaos in an MMO environment.

The thought here is also that even with a player population that does not come close to the freedom cluster it will still feel highly populated.

We are going to start out with having a pretty small and intimate environment where territorial control and struggle becomes more tangible.

Where travel distance/ time does not count much into the equation.

And the loss for dying in a raid is not bad enough to make you feel you have to prepare for days before trying again ;)

Where emphasis shift from grinding and gear to going into action and just having fun.

Why not try and help us make this into a truly fun experience?

Because player input will be much easier to include both on a scenario and gameplay level now that we will have a platform that is agile and not set in stone.

• Like 7

I want this to succeed, I really do. I always want Wurm to succeed in every way.

But I still don't understand who you are expecting to lure on this server.

Are you going to advertise it? More than for 1 day?

I don't enjoy PvP in general and Wurm's PvP in particular. When I have PvP'ed in other games, it has always been with the intent to somehow improve my main character (even battlegrounds and Arena fights in WoW do that), even if it is just to gain a title. Here you have to premium a different character to do it, and have nothing to show for it on my main, so I won't even try it casually. The initial free period, will not bring any money to the game, so for once this isn't even a cash grab, but how long can it stay free?

I am not naive enough to think that map and skill resets means we are all starting on a level playing field. Teamwork, allegiances, and PvP tactics is something we PvEers don't know much about, and without any documentation from the developers, the long-timers will always have the upper edge. When it comes to "catching up", people who start late will still find it impossible to catch up on the score boards.

What sort of prizes are you planning, that will be worth doing this for, but can't give you a functional advantage on the next round?

How do you expect people to be interested in joining this server in the middle of a battle? They can't possibly "win", so why start paying for it mid-battle? Do you expect people to wait for the next battle to start, without finding another game to suck them in, in the meantime? I mean, playing epic while you wait would be an option, if you didn't have to prem a different char to do it, but that is obviously not your plan, so how are you planning to get people to start playing mid-battle, or come back when the next one starts?

I for one am very interested

Now just add the popular suggestions from the PVP Feedback thread

• Like 1

you have my support Johan!

Dunno if he did it by accident, but said none of this would be added to Chaos if you noticed or not

• Like 1

Dunno if he did it by accident, but said none of this would be added to Chaos if you noticed or not

Nor did he address the current issues that plague other servers and why they are opening other servers instead of fixing the servers they already got. Chaos -influence. Xanadu -domains. Those are just to starts.

Nor did he address the current issues that plague other servers and why they are opening other servers instead of fixing the servers they already got. Chaos -influence. Xanadu -domains. Those are just to starts.

Or something as basic as fog/water getting inside houses.

Hello Wurmians!

I do understand your skepticism of this and change is always a bit scary.

Let me just first underline that most things added to challenge would also be added to the epic cluster.

Challenge is something that is needed for several reasons and by being separate it does not need to follow the same rules.

Ideally it could serve as a gateway to wurm pvp benefiting the epic cluster long term by providing a platform with a much lower threshold and plain leveled playing field for those interested in trying Wurm.

Because in reality, we would never get epics player base to agree to server cross wipes on both skills and land right?

What this also does is limit anything we want to drastically change to alter the recipe for skillgain etc as it affects the value and time investment in characters etc.

On challenge however with a clear mindset of initially having at least a monthly server wipe, we have the freedom to change anything to fit the specific challenge making things very interesting from both gameplay and gamedesign perspective.

Also, we can find an interesting dynamic formula for a more quick paced Wurm online experience to offer.

Talking about recipes and such, I see some are talking about having to grind from 0 each restart.

This is easily addressed and planned into the initial release.

Firstly, when I said ultra fast skill gain I truly mean it. You will not need to grind much at all.

Secondly, we can start out Challenge characters with a pre set skill level to already be sufficient to create ok armor and weapons etc.

I know it is not for everyone, but at least for me personally I have always wanted to try Wurm in such a game mode.

Knowing how it feels from the perspective of someone who has built allot with a dev character where you can build quickly and without much limitations.

It is a very interesting concept to truly unlock all that Wurm has to offer and letting loose a truly creative chaos in an MMO environment.

The thought here is also that even with a player population that does not come close to the freedom cluster it will still feel highly populated.

We are going to start out with having a pretty small and intimate environment where territorial control and struggle becomes more tangible.

Where travel distance/ time does not count much into the equation.

And the loss for dying in a raid is not bad enough to make you feel you have to prepare for days before trying again ;)

Where emphasis shift from grinding and gear to going into action and just having fun.

Why not try and help us make this into a truly fun experience?

Because player input will be much easier to include both on a scenario and gameplay level now that we will have a platform that is agile and not set in stone.

Just stop. Nothing you say is going to get you support for killing off the population of our servers and for the time wasted spent on this project that could go elsewhere.

• Like 5

How does one merge epic skills with freedom skills when players have skills on both accounts?

Skill Freedom + Skill Epic*Curve = New Merge Skill

Example: Freedom Mining 70 + Epic mining 70 = Merge Mining 85

As long as the curve modifier is fair, so that your time invested in grinding skill on either or on both servers is somewhat equal.

Merge is just the way forward as I see it, since i want Wurm to be ONE Game, not 2 games, and not 3 games, and not 4 games 2015.

And i much rather the players would keep their time invested in the game if a merge happen, to avoid massive ragequits.

I cant see why epic players would wanna refuse a merge or a char transfer, if you compare the options.

And that alternative option is always available right now, that Epic cluster servers hit 0 Players online per day, and server gets shut down.

Then you r free to reroll a new char from skill 1.

I dont hate epic, it sounds like alot of the features over there sounds fun, so a compromise merge where we keep the best pieces.

• Like 6

Skill Freedom + Skill Epic*Curve = New Merge Skill

Example: Freedom Mining 70 + Epic mining 70 = Merge Mining 85

As long as the curve modifier is fair, so that your time invested in grinding skill on either or on both servers is somewhat equal.

Merge is just the way forward as I see it, since i want Wurm to be ONE Game, not 2 games, and not 3 games, and not 4 games 2015.

And i much rather the players would keep their time invested in the game if a merge happen, to avoid massive ragequits.

I cant see why epic players would wanna refuse a merge or a char transfer, if you compare the options.

And that alternative option is always available right now, that Epic cluster servers hit 0 Players online per day, and server gets shut down.

Then you r free to reroll a new char from skill 1.

I dont hate epic, it sounds like alot of the features over there sounds fun, so a compromise merge where we keep the best pieces.

Things like body stat(stamina mainly) would be hard to merge, and more if a player never played on Epic.

But it is Math Alec.

Your mining, digging, woodcutting crafting skill etc, it all adds up with math and can be calculated.

I could take a Epic char right now, remove the body stamina to 0.

And by using the other stats you have calculate what stamina you should have.

Its just to know math and the calculations.

Right, didn't thought about it.

But still, there are ways to get more body stat per action thou.

But if u get more body stat per action, in whatever u mean CoC or lower ql tools, or sleepbonus or death and x3 regain factor, that would mean

you also get more skill in the main crafting or resource skill.

even random can be calculated, since random over a greater sample, is not really random at all, it follows probability%.

Example: i can curse how unlucky i am at meditating, but over 1000 meditation attempts, any variention is minor to anyone else experience. Using same low ql and high coc rug.

Edited by Tissotx

All I can say, is that if epic were merged with freedom and I lost my 2x skill gain id probably quit. It's slow enough already as it is

• Like 1

But if u get more body stat per action, in whatever u mean CoC or lower ql tools, or sleepbonus or death and x3 regain factor, that would mean

you also get more skill in the main crafting or resource skill.

even random can be calculated, since random over a greater sample, is not really random at all, it follows probability%.

Example: i can curse how unlucky i am at meditating, but over 1000 meditation attempts, any variention is minor to anyone else experience. Using same low ql and high coc rug.

The thing is, its pretty much impossibly to link stats to skills.

Someone can get 70 woodcutting and have 25 body stam, while someone else could have 70 and 30.

Calculating it off the other stats really can't work either, there isn't any way to tell how much of each stat was from things that should give body stam.

Hello again Wurmians!

I have updated with some new information.

But might as well add it here as well ;)

It is completely separate from all other servers but we will try to enable you to teleport there.

It would work pretty much like the separation between epic and freedom, separate skills and inventory.

So either you create a new account specifically for the challenge server or play with your main but with nothing other then your name and look transfered.

To clarify, your character would only be wiped regularly on the challenge server.

Once you go back to your original server you will still have the same stats and inventory as when you left. Unaffected by the transfer in either direction.

Currency would be transferable between the servers with your account and any refunds etc you get on Challenge can be carried back.

If you have premium time on you account it will however stay on the same timer even if Challenge is on free premium.

• Like 2

Hello again Wurmians!

I have updated with some new information.

But might as well add it here as well ;)

It is completely separate from all other servers but we will try to enable you to teleport there.

It would work pretty much like the separation between epic and freedom, separate skills and inventory.

So either you create a new account specifically for the challenge server or play with your main but with nothing other then your name and look transfered.

To clarify, your character would only be wiped regularly on the challenge server.

Once you go back to your original server you will still have the same stats and inventory as when you left. Unaffected by the transfer in either direction.

The same is of course true with any currency. It is not transfered between and any refunds etc you get on Challenge is refunded there only.

If you have premium time on you account it will however stay on the same timer even if Challenge is on free premium.

We don't care. Our main concern is how it will split up the PvP population even more. Just don't add the ####### new server and put the features and events on current PvP servers. Any other option is plain stupid. Edited by New_Unsleep
  • Like 1

We don't care. Our main concern is how it will split up the PvP population even more. Just don't add the ####### new server and put the features and events on current PvP servers. Any other option is plain stupid.

Rather than stupid I would said un-wanted.

So I have a few questions :) It was mentioned that players will start potentially (i stress) with skills? Does this mean the devs are considering doing away with timers altogether on challenge or making them .1 seconds ? I am simply wondering is all, wurm is known for A grinding and B timers. You have elimated A from this new server, challenge is essentially 50% wurm? To me it appears you are simply trying to copy other games to become "wurm of duty" or something similiar? Don't misunderstand me, I am intrigued by the idea, most of us have wondered how this would play out. But I am scratching my head at the bugs in the current game and you are releasing a new pvp server when 70%? of the customers play on bugged pve servers. Enlightenment would be most gratifying.

Pingpong