Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Challenge - Build the Battlefield!

I think it's an interesting take on things, and will definitely be playing there for the first month at least - what's the worst that could happen, the server doesn't pan out and the idea is cancelled? Cool, then back to Freedom. No need to bash this thing into the ground immediately without being given the chance to experience it for ourselves.

Also, this.

If it doesn't work there will be no consequence for removing it after one of the resets! No resources lost or time 'wasted'.

• Like 1

It could remove the PvP community from all servers for a short event and then they go home to their usual kingdom warfare.

fixed that for ya.

except... its not a short event... a half month isn't "short"....

If it doesn't work there will be no consequence for removing it after one of the resets! No resources lost or time 'wasted'.

This is downright inaccurate.

The devs are diverting their time and attention to create the game mode.

That time and attention could have been spent making new features for the already excisting servers or fixing bugs.

Edited by Zekezor

Give it a chance first guys but it is a pvp server so don't think i will be joining. It is an interesting idea anyway and hope it brings in more players to the mix and more money for the game.  

If Wurm hasn't brought in more players by now, after what 6 years plus?, its not gonna happen.

Might be what wurm pvp needed...

I just think that since it seasonal, what you should do is allow people to join the challenge server from current servers (like moving from freedom to Epic), participate there, gain whichever rewards, then go back to their other mode.

Would make it more rewarding and appealing by not having to have a account just for that mode, and being able to chill out on your normal "home" between rounds, or even skip a round or two.

Other than that, looks to be a nice idea.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

I don't get why freedom people are thinking this is a good idea.

Skills don't make you a good player, teamwork and communication does.

The reason so many people left epic early on is because they honestly were shat on, and noone finds that fun.

If you honestly believe skill resets are going to make this server viable for new people, I feel bad for you.

• Like 8

Unless you see people training weapon smithing every 4 weeks in order to use even medium quality weapons and not do much else? Every month you need to train shield smithing, weapon smithing, chain smithing, fighting, weapon skills, shield skills, fighting sub skills, every month? Just, failure, it'll be people fighting with sticks and shod clubs and that'll last for 2 months before people go "what a waste of my time".

This is exactly what I think we all envisioned Epic to be before it was released.

Epic turned out to just be wild with faster skillgain and something called valrei (?)

Just a shame this couldn't have been done before :)

Could call this the actual Valrei map for that matter... maybe even toss in the god avatars as combat mobs instead of mere quest goals? Pure AI or some kind of player control there even, such as a champ obtaining their gods' artifact.

Not to mention the other moons...

• Like 2

As a new player, I gotta say that what brought me to Wurm is a possibility of experiencing the game when you are just being a crafter, living the life, helping the community when suddenly the war comes and everybody's got to defend their land. That's why I created account on PvP server - that's where everything is real, and you can lose everything you've worked for in an instance. But you've got to work for it first. See what I mean? No? :)

I, as a new player, think that this game doesn't need to try to become simpler like any other mmorpg, it needs to emphasize the hardcore of it! Just an opinion.

+1

• Like 1

I think the first questions which comes to mind is this:

Why are you splitting the PvP community even more considering it is already stretched far enough between two clusters?

Why dont you improve the Epic so that it represents something more like this rather then making a completely new cluster?

redd you aren't allowed to use logic in a game such as this

• Like 1

I think this is solves alot of the problems that cause epic t o be stale. As of now there really is no way to say x kingdom is better than y . Ya one kingdom may be killing more than the other but there is no official game mechanic to track this. The closest thing there is now is land control which is pointless. The PVP aspect of this game needs a way to gauge who is better, and it needs an end game with goals, otherwise it becomes boring cause everyone is just going back and forth for no reason. 

I however think this should of been done with epic from the start like intended and releasing another server isn't going to help epic (not commenting on chaos because i know nothing about it.) but meh you can only sink so much time and resources into something that's broken before you gotta call it quits and start fresh.  With all that being said I still think there are some major bugs with PVP and lag that hopefully are being addressed to cause if I do recall like 6-8 months ago epic was at a boom and there was a huge battle(60ish people possibly?) and everyone lagged out and chaos insued and alot of players left and epic hasn't really been the same since. 

Overall I think this is a step in the right direction for the game.

Fix current PvP servers i.e. consolidate them.. do not split the community further

Honestly I can see this causing a lot of players to quit. Myself included if it lowes our player base even more. In no way am I interested in PvP "scenarios" that start me off back at square 1.

Honestly I can see this causing a lot of players to quit. Myself included if it lowes our player base even more. In no way am I interested in PvP "scenarios" that start me off back at square 1.

Don't play the scenarios then, No one is making you. If you still like epic play it, and from what I'm seeing and from what you said alot of people on epic aren't going to play this server there going to stay on epic so you'll be alright.

... WHY are you making a whole nother server for PvP again? Did you guys not learn the first time with Epic? Why would younot add all this functionality to the existing servers and fix what you already have instead of making more stuff somewhere else?

Seriously HIRE A PROJECT MANAGER!

Edit: Okay now that Ive had a small breather.

Your chaos server has serious issues with the influence which has caused a pretty big issue lately (see enki's chaos issue - it started over an influence bug) how bout you fix chaos? How bout you add all these new battlefield things to Chaos and not screw the PvP servers over further? Why would you continue to split the player base across many different servers? Your player base is already small, why split that? Why not fix Epic to what it was promised to be? I for see this becoming another project that rolf thought of and being swept under the rug because he screwed it up from jump. You know I bet if you made a whole new PvP map on freedom the size of chaos is now, fixed all the issues and then told everyone they needed to move there and then close down people would be happier. Seriously -.-

Edited by Ruger

i dont give two ###### about another new server other than the possibility that it will bring in new players and more revenue for producing more content.  i really like my current island and setup but sounds like it might solve the problems a lot of other people have with wurm lets just not end up with 5 different clusters.

Edited by rare

TERRIBLE IDEA BIG -100

I could care less about a test server with PvP bring the new PvP content too Epic where it should be!!!

Major Problems with this concept

1) Its a new server for PvP- Chaos and Epic already exist!!! I do not want to leave epic to go play on a test server to experience PvP and new PvP features!

2) You will no doubt lure people from Chaos and Epic to your 1 month test server BS taking people away from where they need to be...

3) You have to create a new account?!?!?!?!?  This is BS

The Only way I support this Currently FAILED CONCEPT

Is:

If you can travel to this Event Map via a gate From Chaos/Freedom/Epic (Any Server)

And you bring your Skills with you!!!  (Just no gear)

Then You can have some real reindeer games where Epic can beat up on Freedom and vice versa

But creating a new account and a new server just pulls players away from the old ones and that is a big whooping NEGATIVE

I have too much to do in Epic to care about a Test server....  *** So just don't play then is what people will respond***

And what if the content on this Test server is good?!?  ***Now I have to abandon Epic to enjoy it???*** 

****NO just play both you silly ****  Because wurm life makes it so easy to have two wurm lives... I already spend 2 hours tending fields and grooming horses...

Xanadu has serious issues that need fixed pronto. Domains anyone? We need fixes to existing servers in the old clusters also, not just Xanadu. Positioning bug anyone?We need the game to actually recognize what type of armor you have on for priests. You know a mag can't even wear chain again? Now I'm even getting medium armor penalties of -15% and no bonus for light or no armor. I would also like be able to place items onto some of our tables and maybe sit in a seat. I appreciate the enthusiasm but I cringe at bridges being less than a month away. I know I will get stuck in, on, or under one almost immediately since I can't even go through a gate half the time and a new server with Xanadu not working right still is just going to be even less attention to it and none at all to the old cluster unless it's a system-wide addition.

The logical aproach if anything would be to add something similar to battlegrounds for our already paying accounts where we can go and instantly pvp without delays/losses -.-'

Scoreboards, special rewards, special titles... All of it would perfectly fit in with what we already have.

But thats not the case here budda.

In the scenario presented we would be paying 8 euro a month to play a little pvp minigame. It's ###### at best.

I agree, but the problem with that is you're taking out 95% of Wurm for some quick PvP action, and I think I'm not alone in saying that combat in Wurm really isn't a strong point.

If I want quick jump in and out PvP action, I'd play Chivalry.

• Like 2

This post will likely get largely overlooked considering how large this thread is already, but here's my view on it:

Every time a new server or idea comes up, there are always a few posts asking for something like this, "Why not have a small server that resets every x months?". This is that.

In order to make the resets less harsh, there are largely sped up gains and action timers - this is great.

Back when Epic first came out, there were a TON of people that tried it our for a month or two, then slowly drifted away - so a server that is constantly reliving that first month might work, though this remains to be seen. What better way to figure it out than testing it though - I know I'll likely be heading over there with a new char to give it a go.

One final thought - I see a lot of posts fearing that this will split the PvP community more, but you're forgetting that this might be the thing to push some PvE players over to PvP for the first time. For myself personally, the idea of PvP in Wurm isn't appealing, simply because when you die, you're out of action for a week while you re-craft all of your lost items, armour, weapons. A server that resets monthly with faster gains/timers? That is pretty much the thing that would tip me towards giving PvP an honest try, because losing that stuff won't really matter in the long run since everything will be deleted anyway.

I think it's an interesting take on things, and will definitely be playing there for the first month at least - what's the worst that could happen, the server doesn't pan out and the idea is cancelled? Cool, then back to Freedom. No need to bash this thing into the ground immediately without being given the chance to experience it for ourselves.

Quoting for people to read...

• Like 1

+100000000

​I don't know why everyone is crying...  Its not like there is pvp on epic anyways  :D

This post will likely get largely overlooked considering how large this thread is already, but here's my view on it:

Every time a new server or idea comes up, there are always a few posts asking for something like this, "Why not have a small server that resets every x months?". This is that.

In order to make the resets less harsh, there are largely sped up gains and action timers - this is great.

Back when Epic first came out, there were a TON of people that tried it our for a month or two, then slowly drifted away - so a server that is constantly reliving that first month might work, though this remains to be seen. What better way to figure it out than testing it though - I know I'll likely be heading over there with a new char to give it a go.

One final thought - I see a lot of posts fearing that this will split the PvP community more, but you're forgetting that this might be the thing to push some PvE players over to PvP for the first time. For myself personally, the idea of PvP in Wurm isn't appealing, simply because when you die, you're out of action for a week while you re-craft all of your lost items, armour, weapons. A server that resets monthly with faster gains/timers? That is pretty much the thing that would tip me towards giving PvP an honest try, because losing that stuff won't really matter in the long run since everything will be deleted anyway.

And totally ignoring the fact of the resources and time invested into a failed idea, without mentioning the reputation damage.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/01/eve-online-phoebe/

See, the wonderful thing about video games is war can change, but only when it optimises fun levels and has been through rigorous testing procedures.

• Like 1