Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Challenge - Build the Battlefield!

-1, Spreading the PvP community even futher is a very bad idea.. Merge the pvp servers into one or improve on the existing servers.

Almost all of the PvP community is asking for these plea's to be heard, now complete opposite happens  :huh:.

Agreed.

Well this is gonna be a fairly large post, but hopefully it'll identify and help to explain stuff to people that in all honestly, are talking out of their ass about this.

First, I've played on epic from the start, and before that for about 2 or 3 week I was on wild, saw the new servers opening up so I just decided to wait a bit to play where everyone would be on a clean plate. 

The gigantic success of Epic in my mind and general idea, was that there wasn't problem items and 'window of opportunity' accounts. "Problem items" being defined as things like farwalkers and full scale and drake sets. That alone made epic just overall a lot more fun. Chaos and epic both have their bonuses, this isn't going to turn into a debate over the two, because since the opening of epic, specifically here recently, balancing has been done to take away some of the very hard to obtain bonuses of fighting and pvp.

Increased skillgain wasn't in my view one of the best points to epic. Put aside the fun and joy that comes with any new server, minus all those people you've drawn in, and you get the core crowd of that server. Now look at about a year down the road, okay everything's doing fine, on epic I remember there being around 50-70 people on elevation during the one year anniversary. Now look at it currently, around 20-30 or so. Obviously there's a handful of reasons that's accounting for this, schooltime and such always brings a down in the counts every year, but I truely believe it's honestly, a good chunk of the veterans just getting to the point of where they can't do much anymore. 

Look at me for example, i'm even a part of that group that's just gotten bored with grinding. This is usually argured against with "Well, why don't you just go fight people when you're bored?!"

Anyone that's ever been on a pvp server can probably pretty much tell you if you say that, you're dumb. That's not how the servers work, you grind and do stuff out of combat probably a good 90% of the time, but it's the rush and love of fighting for that 10% that make it worth it.

Okay now after all of that being said, just imagine epic opening up with still freedom skillgain, there still wouldn't be farwalkers, 50 deed guards, bugged deeds, accounts with stats now unobtainable, and dozens of other things, would you still think that it would have drawn the amount of people that it has? I certainly do.

That was a pretty good chunk of text, so sorry about it. I said it in some thread months ago, but in the end, one of the best long term solutions is just mix epic accounts to the freedom cluster/chaos, I'm very sure that the team could come up with some math that could easily convert skills, or if in the end, take them all down around 15 or 20 points.

Now if you're on epic and just read that, you're probably fuming, I get it, as I said i've played there from the start, for years. But just think for a second for the overall good of the game. You'd have around 200 people or more on one pvp server duking it out, making pmk's probably constantly, and truly having the player count to successfully use all of the amazing features we've been given to play. On top of that, imagine the marketing standpoint of the game. "You can make one account, and grind it up and take it with you to ANY server!" versus, "Well, if you start on freedom or epic and want to go to the other, you have to start completely over and pick a whole new server."

You can say "urgg fix all the stuff first!" but normally you're just falling into the bandwagon of whining and don't offer any solutions. The solution here is for sure not to open more servers dedicated to pvp, that's honestly the worst option in my opinion, the solution in my eyes is give all these fantastic new things you're talking of, and all the previous ones, to one dedicated server, weather it be chaos, or a brand new whiped map with everyone on chaos + epic teleported to, with those from epic having their new adjusted skills, nothing akward or uncalled for like skill resets or valrei meteor pits. This would truely be the ultimate fix forever for pvp.

If you read this all you're a real champ and probably a true bro, so thanks.

Edited by Cornchips
  • Like 14

delicious golden nectar

+1

However, an argument against that would be the merits of having two PvP clusters, as opposed to one.  If Epic had been done the way it was planned to be, the presence of two servers (one being faster-paced, and involving arena-type battles, and the other being like Wild) might be the better way to go, but honestly it seems to come down to what Rolf/devs/players prefer as a method for lasting PvP gameplay.

Is it two servers, where players are split between different play-styles; this is more easily done now because Epic could still be edited in some way, maybe?

Or is it one server, where Wild-type gameplay exists with some new twists or something, or different "zones" like in Eve (highsec, lowsec, nullsec.)

Tbh, the idea of one big PvP server with no preset kingdoms (or simply "factions" that don't really affect anything aside from RP) and villages/alliances being able to follow a PMK-style domain acquisition (with guard towers, or whatever) seems really appealing.

Ofc, the deletion of Chaos/Epic would probably piss people off so thoroughly that Rolf would be forced to hire trained security for Code Club, but it might be worth it if the end product is something that the majority can agree on as being stable, re-playable, and dynamic enough to flagship the PvP realm of Wurm.

• Like 1

I'm not going to quote New Unsleeps post, but I do agree with it. 

Am I the only one who is excited and thinks this is a good idea.

+1 Lets see where this goes fellas.

And to everyone being so negative. Why not give it a chance?

• Like 6

Soooo a seperate client to login like the test server?

Or Cluster swap through some ingame gate?

EDIT: Perhaps this as a replacement for the HOTA? Or more along the lines of an expansion. The current hota sites could serve as the login/embarkation points to this new deal.

Edited by Klaa

In my opinion this is to atrract new players, players who prefer fast type of playing and relativly short competition scenario games and not grindy wurm type, so i don't think it will affect the current playerdatabase that much players who already play wurm mostly play it for it's unique hard grind system. It's not a change it's an optional addition and if you don't like it you don't have to try it the ones who does won't be in any advantage to the ones who continue playing old way because servers are separated and you can't travel from one to another. And who knows maybe will some of that new players after few chalenges want to try the real wurm stuff and player database will grow. But with this, i don't realy see point of Epic anymore, with new fast pvp here, and pvp on chaos where you can easy switch from pvp to pve as you please(and i think that's awesome) Epic seems unnessecary...Or maybe the best thing would be to replace Chaos with Epic cluster(merge it with freedom so it's servers serve the role of Chaos or shut it down)

Wow, im sorry to say this but what the hell is this Dev team thinking with this?

Failure Epic 2.0, have you guys not learned yet that the only thing that needs some changing is a bit in the combat style and some added fairness/benefits to a server like chaos and you would be able to bring some of your challenge ideas all to 1 server instead of yet again making a new money sink which will continue to split players, and Mark my words after a few months will become just as stagnate as Epic is.

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

3 changes i would make:

1. merge freedom + epic (skills readjusted with math based on curve)

a portal where we could teleport our main chars to new battle server with full gear and full skill

if u die on that server u cant reenter it for the duration. Hardcore perma death. All loot and reward u bring back to main server.

How does one merge epic skills with freedom skills when players have skills on both accounts?

Edited by demondan

How does one merge epic skills with freedom skills when players have skills on both accounts?

highest skill gets applied. simple.

The current hota sites could serve as the login/embarkation points to this new deal.

Lol, no

+1, good idea with the new PvP server.

I won't play on it but still a good idea. Yes, it's Wurm extra-lite, but that is exactly what can bring new players to the game. A server for people that like competitive gameplay, it's worth a try. Sure, it will hurt the existing PvP servers, but then there are few people left on them anyway and the current PvP servers don't attract many new people, even fewer of them stay for long.

Now I want my wilderness-survival server as well, one where terra-forming is very, very severely restricted and where building stuff is much harder than on the normal servers. :)

I was talking with some people over the situation of having skills on each side, but yea it sounds like if you find out the values on each side, and just apply the biggest one as your skill, instead of trying to merge both the skills to one. In most cases either way, it'll probably be still you gaining skill so it wouldn't really be unfair for the most part.

Also what about dirt walls? They take weeks to make.

Didn't you read the announcement? Super-fast timers, super-fast skilling. I would also remove items weight (players walking super-fast), hunger (super-nutrition), make attacks by super-fast clicking. Oh and make the graphics super-pixelated.

This post will likely get largely overlooked considering how large this thread is already, but here's my view on it:

Every time a new server or idea comes up, there are always a few posts asking for something like this, "Why not have a small server that resets every x months?". This is that.

In order to make the resets less harsh, there are largely sped up gains and action timers - this is great.

Back when Epic first came out, there were a TON of people that tried it our for a month or two, then slowly drifted away - so a server that is constantly reliving that first month might work, though this remains to be seen. What better way to figure it out than testing it though - I know I'll likely be heading over there with a new char to give it a go.

One final thought - I see a lot of posts fearing that this will split the PvP community more, but you're forgetting that this might be the thing to push some PvE players over to PvP for the first time. For myself personally, the idea of PvP in Wurm isn't appealing, simply because when you die, you're out of action for a week while you re-craft all of your lost items, armour, weapons. A server that resets monthly with faster gains/timers? That is pretty much the thing that would tip me towards giving PvP an honest try, because losing that stuff won't really matter in the long run since everything will be deleted anyway.

I think it's an interesting take on things, and will definitely be playing there for the first month at least - what's the worst that could happen, the server doesn't pan out and the idea is cancelled? Cool, then back to Freedom. No need to bash this thing into the ground immediately without being given the chance to experience it for ourselves.

• Like 23

It is a shame that the naysayers always have the loudest voice but i agree this could be a great thing and give us something to do that is fun without all the grind that we can do to take a break from...well the grind on our main characters/deeds without the worry about losing anything or outclassing someone else, 

Edited by Kegan

One final thought - I see a lot of posts fearing that this will split the PvP community more, but you're forgetting that this might be the thing to push some PvE players over to PvP for the first time. For myself personally, the idea of PvP in Wurm isn't appealing, simply because when you die, you're out of action for a week while you re-craft all of your lost items, armour, weapons. A server that resets monthly with faster gains/timers? That is pretty much the thing that would tip me towards giving PvP an honest try, because losing that stuff won't really matter in the long run since everything will be deleted anyway.

The logical aproach if anything would be to add something similar to battlegrounds for our already paying accounts where we can go and instantly pvp without delays/losses -.-'

Scoreboards, special rewards, special titles... All of it would perfectly fit in with what we already have.

But thats not the case here budda.

In the scenario presented we would be paying 8 euro a month to play a little pvp minigame. It's ###### at best.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

The logical aproach if anything would be to add something similar to battlegrounds for our already paying accounts where we can go and instantly pvp without delays/losses -.-'

Scoreboards, special rewards, special titles... All of it would perfectly fit in with what we already have.

But thats not the case here budda.

In the scenario presented we are paying 8 euro a month to play a little pvp minigame. It's ###### at best.

Does not cost you anything this time and if it goes well maybe he will think about allowing a portal later, 

Edit: I guess you will still need to pay a fee to tp there since it does cost to maintain but i am fine with that as it is just an option not a requirement. 

Edited by Kegan

Does not cost you anything this time and if it goes well maybe he will think about allowing a portal later, 

this time? its for a limited time kegan.

You will have to pay later on.

and no, there is no portals. you arent allowed to use your main account.

Everything and anything you gain will be unrelated to current servers.

Edited by Zekezor

I think this could only possibly be good if the "scenarios" were two weeks each or less. Any more and it leeches the player base.

If the missions were few and far between, it would act as a GOOD thing! It could bring the PvP community from all servers together for a short event and then they go home to their slower kingdom warfare.