Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Tapestry Competition!

actually it means (if you want to play LAWYER) that unless you used a PHYSICAL PAINTBRUSH on a PHYSICAL CANVAS using PHYSICAL OIL OR WATER PAINTS, that it does not qualify. And if that was the rule, it would have been an explicit rule not an implied rule. Charcoals, colored pencils, items handdrawn on a computer tablet, all do not meet your standard.   But "painting" also for many in general conversation means -- "Picture." "Artwork."  Many of the "paintings" in a museum are not, technically, even paintings (Braques and Picasso’s collages). And since there were no formal rules defining a painting (no charcoal! No colored pencils! No other media but physical paint! It must be on a canvas! No digital use of computer tablets or drawing stylus! It must use physical paint! ) then it means that it was never intended as a "rule".

It was just a sentence. 

Possibly a carelessly worded sentence at its worst.  It was not under "CONTEST RULES"   You do not get to decide what "whatever the medium may be" to include any items you deem are creative and exclude those which you deem are not. 

They probably wanted a traditional painting, and so they implied that, and in fact their original choice WAS a traditional classic painting. So they were clearly giving some advantage to painting but left themselves some open ground to use their own discretion. There was never a section on rules. No one probably wanted to hardcore any official RULES (like, "real paint only!").

They just wanted to see ... what creative things players would come up with. Sadly, I think it is the last time they will ever ask. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Can't make the point clear if people will only apply the word "art" to fit their own ideas. Technically, paint means paint, that rules out a lot of the submissions here, not just the photoshopped screenshots. Not any medium that you consider artistic, just paint... That leaves out a LOT of people from entering, making it a very exclusive (and limited) party here... which would be a shame.

You might not consider a photoshopped image art. You might not consider woodworking, or pottery, or anything an art. For me, a photoshopped image is just as much art as a pencil drawing or an oilpainting, but that is personal preference. As long as it looks nice on a tapestry. In the end, it mainly matters that what wins here is what is going to be seen ingame, so I could care less what medium was used to create it - aslong as it looks good.

I'm still hoping that they'll pick one each month, or add more for special occasions, including all types of mediums used. Then again, I don't know, maybe it's better if they would just create their own rt to avoid stepping on toes.

Upon reading the post for this contest I imagined all kinds of scenes in my head that I would love to see.  Many of those things I envisioned had they been put down on canvas or any medium would be awesome scenes.But would the items/armor/buildings/ships/people truly reflect what we find in Wurm? Perhaps being so different they might standout like when a cartoon has a scene with a painting in it and they use a actual photograph in a cartoon frame.

In retrospect I believe a screenshot did a wonderful job fitting in since its in the same style and format as we are accustomed to seeing in game. While to some its just a screen shot but its no less powerful at evoking emotions as any other medium. While anyone can press print screen its about capturing the right moment the same as a painting or photograph. The result of which is subjective. Some may smile, laugh,cry, become sad or have no effect at all. I myself enjoyed the winning tapestry and look forward to using it in game.

While I almost never participate in contests such as these I hope we continue to have more in the future.

• Like 3

I had no idea that my submissions would cause so much controversy. :-/

I honestly didn't think I was going to win when I submitted them. I wasn't even going to enter until I saw others submitting their own screenshots. While I can't draw or paint, I am good with Photoshop so I decided to take a shot at it for fun. It did not take 5 seconds to create them. It took several hours to go through my years of screenshots to find a few with good composition, find the right filters and settings to bring out the colours, find the right woven cloth texture that could overlay the screenshots to make it look like a tapestry without taking away the detail, add more layers to create a more old/distressed look, and find a suitable border that fit with the Wurm theme and added something without distracting from the image. The images that were partially in grayscale took even longer because I "handpainted" the areas where the colour came through. And there was also a lot of tweaking and testing with things that ended up not working, so I'd often end up right back at the beginning. But I had fun and I was proud with how in the end they looked quite a bit like real tapestries.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...well so is art. What some people consider art, others don't. I don't understand abstract paintings and sculptures but a lot of people do and I don't begrudge them for it.I think that video games and web design are art in their own way but there are plenty who would disagree with me. Just different strokes for different folks (pun intended). Like Brash mentioned, what if I had used one of my many wildflower/prairie landscape photos instead of a screenshot and went through the same process in Photoshop? Would that have been a more "valid" entry? The photos took even less effort to take since they were taking while I was on the job and just happened across something that looked pretty.

It's particularly disheartening for me to hear some of these comments because I'm a web designer by trade and so many people think that my job is easy, that it's not worth much because it's just "computer stuff", and that they can just do it themselves for free. It may all look like colourful boxes and text to them, but they don't know how I sketch out several designs looking for one that catches the eye and conveys the message, then translate it into a Photoshop mockup, and then implement it with code as a working website while keeping in mind brand/colour guidelines, functionality, accessibility, SEO, and cross-browser compatibility. This is not including the (many) revisions and spec changes I often have to deal with. I spent years designing websites as a hobby before taking a web design college course and turning it into a career, yet there are people who think that all they need is a free tool to create a website to do my job. Then they come up with something that is truly cringe-worth and most of the time, I am then asked to fix it.

Just because something is "digital" and may look easy to you doesn't mean that it isn't. Just like how painting, drawing, carving, sculpting, wood burning, game designing, coding, writing etc. also isn't easy and there's likely hundreds if not thousands of hours of work of practicing and perfecting technique behind doing any one of those activities. I have the greatest respect for any sort of artist/writer/coder/designer because they work hard at what they do, at what they love, and not everyone appreciates it. Someone mentioned that "real artists" will now be more disinclined to submit their work. Well I know I'll be more disinclined to submit my own because it's not "real" to some people.

Like I said, I didn't think I was going to win. And if I had, I would have guessed it would have been one of many because there were a lot of really beautiful submissions. Heck, there are others that I think should have won instead of mine. But just because you don't agree with the winning choice doesn't mean you should completely disregard the time I spent on my submissions. If a "real painting" had won, I wouldn't have come in here saying that a five-year-old could have done it with fingerpaints.

I'd just like to end with saying that I really hope that they put more into the game because I want to cover my stone walls with all the amazing tapestries I can get my hands on. Wurm is a beautiful game and the players make beautiful things within it, and more tapestries can only improve it.

/end soapbox

• Like 8

Well said!!!.. Faeldray :)

I'm glad some ppl in Wurm have class.

Edited by Windeee

Doesn't matter, people wouldn't want to participate with their work anyway after this.

Wow.....pram......toys.......out........

Tools are tools. It isn't about what they are...it's about how they are used.