Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Tapestry Competition!

Which one?

Edited by Kegan

That is just sad, why only 1 winner? :huh:

I also thought you could at least clarify that you actually looking for textured screenshot? As you said before: "

The theme is as you might suspect to paint a new Tapestry motif or pattern.

You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself, in other words do not paint the painting on a tapestry.

What you want to paint is entirely up to you but we will of course be looking for the most suitable one for the game."

So screenshot is not new motif or pattern and why to pick some random one with really weak composition when there were much better ones ? :(

Just my opinion ...

I am VERY happy with the winner, I thought it had a very nice composition of elements!And even though we did not HAVE to have one showing ingame life, I really was rooting for one that represented own own daily activities ingame, so the winner was one I wanted very much.  But maybe we will still be able to get a new contest every month and entries can be resubmitted   :P One problem (as they learned) with original work, is having a method to prove the winner actually is the original artist (though you can ask Google to search for images that arre visually similar, so hard not to get "caught" these days).  I have about 8 other ones left on my "watch list", including Teal's lovely "dancing peasant women" but came in after the original deadline.

(The thing on texturing is, I am guessing it is more likely to work against you since its much easier for Wurm art department to add the exact texture they want, then to remove one they think wasn't quite right. So I think it is more a recommendation or advice, because it is MUCH more likely to hurt you than help you, overall. So the wording was "You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself"   Fellow players might like the texture but staff artists can visualize for themselves what it might look like and probably have to gauge whether it is too different from the style they prefer to add.) 

I was hoping there was a slim chance that Easter was also Moscow painter Victor Bykov, but unfortunately Easter's profile says he is from Iceland  :(

I hope we do this again!!! If not every month, then at least an annual tapestry contest?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I was hoping there was a slim chance that Easter was also Moscow painter Victor Bykov, but unfortunately Easter's profile says he is from Iceland :( 

Totally agree, just forgot to mention about it. It is real shame to post work that not yours :(

• Like 1

That is just sad, why only 1 winner? :huh:

I also thought you could at least clarify that you actually looking for textured screenshot? As you said before: "

The theme is as you might suspect to paint a new Tapestry motif or pattern.

You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself, in other words do not paint the painting on a tapestry.

What you want to paint is entirely up to you but we will of course be looking for the most suitable one for the game."

So screenshot is not new motif or pattern and why to pick some random one with really weak composition when there were much better ones ? :(

Just my opinion ...

The screenshot I provided as the announcement for the winner is the work of art director Wox.

He has used the winning contribution picture to show it already applied to the ingame asset as it will be implemented.

No need to attack the winning contribution because yours was not picked, there might be more chances ;)

• Like 2

I was quite surprised also... I mean... There were so many better ones then just some screenshot of a praying player.

Ah well.

• Like 4

The screenshot I provided as the announcement for the winner is the work of art director Wox.

He has used the winning contribution picture to show it already applied to the ingame asset as it will be implemented.

No need to attack the winning contribution because yours was not picked, there might be more chances ;)

As a contributor, I think it would have been nice to know you weren't looking for our artwork.  In the original post (before it was updated) and on the tag it said "get your work in the game".  I do not believe that using a screenshot of one of the Code Club's artists work qualifies.  That is my own opinion.  I am not upset that mine was not chosen, let me make that clear.  But there were several other contributions that were far better, and original.  By using a textured screenshot, you will likely have fewer artists interested in posting their own work should this be done again.

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 5

As a contributor, I think it would have been nice to know you weren't looking for our artwork.  In the original post (before it was updated) and on the tag it said "get your work in the game".  I do not believe that using a screenshot of one of the Code Club's artists qualifies.  That is my own opinion.  I am not upset that mine was not chosen, let me make that clear.  But there were several other contributions that were far better, and original.  By using a textured screenshot, you will likely have fewer artists interested in posting their own work should this be done again.

It was not one of our artists screenshots or work that won. That was by a player.

It was however a graphic artist that applied that winning contribution to a 3d model

It was not one of our artists screenshots or work that won. That was by a player.

It was however a graphic artist that applied that winning contribution to a 3d model

What people are getting at isn't that the 3D model is shown in the announcement post, it's the fact that the winning contribution is a screenshot or art that Wurm devs have created (player models, textures, altar model etc etc) and that it's simply been put into a Photoshop filter.

I want to extend my congratulations to the winner but at the same time I agree 100% with Lisabet on this one:

If not putting the effort into making something on your own gives extra credit in these competitions you are not likely to get very many contributions in upcoming competitions. It's just not worth people's time and effort. The competition rules before the OP was edited clearly stated that you were looking for paintings and yet a picture that had been put into Photoshop and to which a filter had been applied won.

• Like 3

I like the winning picture. And Boo Hoo to the losers who are complaining.

I'm glad I didn't enter, I'd hate to win, my feelings get hurt easily.

• Like 2

Well look at it this way it was the players interpretation of the screenshot that got them the win.  Much like a photo can be taken many different ways but only one be deemed art and not just a picture because of the way the photographer interpreted the shot with lighting and whatever other means they use. In this case the player chose the subject and the textures/filters/brushes..whatever so it is his interpretation of that screenshot and was found to be the winner in this case. 

Edited by Kegan

I am sorry if I made impression of "attacking",I just  confused here , the winner is screenshot not art work , I suppose it can be considered as art work if it was textured. And as Bash quoted : So the wording was "You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself" So the whole competition here doesn't make any sense because I personally had no idea what you looking for, the paining , the motif or pattern ( that is what you actually wrote in rules of competition ) . How it fits with screenshot submissions? Of course my art was not picked or anyone's other art because you wanted screenshot. So please be more clear next time! And advice regarding copyright issues , if you like someone's art send him form where he/she will sign  her name there as original artist or copyright owner. That standard license form , otherwise you actually have no right to use it for game or any other publications. Which I think the main reason why you probably changed your mind regarding picking winner as somebody's art - the copyright issues ! And even if it  easy to fix , it is easier and much better for game to use actually the work of 3d artists captured as screenshot. So when we make something nice out of game graphics as textured screenshot, the final result will be not our art work after all - it will be still your work ;)

Edited by Rhea
  • Like 1

I was quite looking forward to decorating with some of these paintings, but i really can't see me putting someones 5 second screenshot up though.

• Like 2

I like the winning picture. And Boo Hoo to the losers who are complaining.

Sure I lost, but I'm not complaining on account of being a loser. I'm merely explaining to Johan what people mean because the winning contribution actually doesn't follow the theme laid out by the OP. The competitions become pure nonsense once they don't even follow their own guidelines.

• Like 1

Well look at it this way it was the players interpretation of the screenshot that got them the win.  Much like a photo can be taken many different ways but only one be deemed art and not just a picture because of the way the photographer interpreted the shot with lighting and whatever other means they use. In this case the player chose the subject and the textures/filters/brushes..whatever so it is his interpretation of that screenshot and was found to be the winner in this case. 

*edited to remove; I do not want to cause further complications 

Edited by Lisabet

I think you guys are taking this way to far it is just a simple fun contest in a game that now will likely never happen again thanks to all this. 

• Like 2

Doesn't matter, people wouldn't want to participate with their work anyway after this.

I did both a real painting and a bunch of "take a screenie and slap a filter on", and I simply liked how the latter fitted the theme of wurm better. In the end it's not about getting people to feel good about making a nice painting, sorry. This isn't primary school where you get extra credits because you really tried, it's about the end result. It's about a piece of decoration in the game, that everyone is going to be using on their deeds. I personally prefer much better to see something actually from the game than a painting from outside of it. I'm guessing these lovely art devs we got realised the same thing, they simply prefered how the screenshot looked and fitted the game better than things that we do not have in the game, no matter how nice it could look in another situation. In the end, the only price you get is a decorational item ingame. To me it doesn;t matter how it was made or how long it took to make it, just how it looks in my house.

The one picked wasn't my favorite but at least the person who submitted the one I was hoping to see isn't commenting with snarky comments about poor composition and just slapping filters on like it takes no effort. I guess this is the last time we will get to see a nice competition like this due to poor sportsmanship from some of the contestants.

Congratulations to faeldray, though, because I do like the originality and theme of prayer, it can be used for a number of decorative purposes (particularly prayer sites).

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

Well to me, it is like saying Photography Is Not Art, Only Oil Painting! Then you start getting snobby and saying "Comicbooks are not true art! Paper collages are not true art! Welding chunks of car parts or plumbing,  is Not Art! Anything done with a computer is not true art! Whatever you think is 'Art,' is not TRUE ART. Only what I say, is."

I would have preferred original art -- and I think we GOT that.

I think it is silly to say "they lied to us, because they only wanted a screenshot all along."

They have already made it clear their original first choice was a painting that unfortunately, was not even made by the person. But they certainly would have LOVED a painting.  But they wanted in the end, what would serve best the community.

It's one reason I was in favor of categories with the #1 slot going to "Original Artwork (ie sketch or painting)" I'd like to see original traditional art like a painting, get special recognition. But never to LIMIT us. 

In the end, a screenshot is really the same as Photography, you have to think about composition and color and subject and arrangement (and I made clear mine were more examples of what I wanted to see as even the screenshots were not my own work) and many screenshots can be considered "art" too. The textures and filters mean little since we know the Wurm art team can add those themselves just fine, to complete the concept of "tapestry". Some added filters to provide a bit more abstract or emotional  feeling -- at that point it transforms into art

Art is ... what my HEART tells me is Art.  

And I think the winner was a GREAT piece of art. 

To say that this below is not "art" because it was done with a camera and not a paintbrush, is to limit us:

r-BEST-PHOTOS-2012-large570.jpg

after all, "god created the lady and the rain and the night lights, not the photographer!!"

But an Artist gave us the "Art."

• Like 2

Well in case there were any misunderstandings:

I have nothing against the way in which the art piece was created, don't get that part wrong, it just didn't follow the rules that were set up for the competition. If the devs didn't think that any of the current contributions that did follow the rules were good enough they should've either sucked it up or extended the competition until something that met their requirements came along.

For the next competition:

Perhaps set up rules that you follow and we'll all be happy regardless of who wins.

In response to Brash_Endeavours' post below:

I know that you might find it hard to agree on this since you had lots of personal preferences regarding the Photoshop contributions, but rules are there for a reason. You can insinuate that I hear voices all you want if you think that's entertaining or that it will ultimately win over my respect or agreement. See if you manage to intimidate me by insulting my character, though I can tell you right now that it won't.

Edited by Aeris

I think you read and interpreted  "rules" much different than I did (and apparently, as most others did.) 

We can all make up rules in our head of how we think things Are "SUPPOSED" to be, and call those "the rules". Although I suppose now the lawyers will start mincepiecing every exact term used, like it is a lawsuit in court. 

• They did not want us to focus on filers -- since they could do that.
  • They wanted some original imagery. Some creativity. 

Other than that I recall no real "rules". They did not say, "draw a picture at home, on canvas, using oilpaints or charcoals or other traditional mainstream medium, then add a photograph here of that work. Do not use any sort of digital manipulation of images or you will be disqualified."

They made recommendations that we not focus on filters (they can do that, duh!). They told us examples of what they would like to see. 

I think some of these "rules" are ones you said inside your own head. And none of the rest of us, heard those voices. 

• Like 1

Well in case there were any misunderstandings:

I have nothing against the way in which the art piece was created, don't get that part wrong, it just didn't follow the rules that were set up for the competition. If the devs didn't think that any of the current contributions that did follow the rules were good enough they should've either sucked it up or extended the competition until something that met their requirements came along.

For the next competition:

Perhaps set up rules that you follow and we'll all be happy regardless of who wins.

In response to Brash_Endeavours' post below:

I know that you might find it hard to agree on this since you had lots of personal preferences regarding the Photoshop contributions, but rules are there for a reason. You can insinuate that I hear voices all you want if you think that's entertaining or that it will ultimately win over my respect or agreement. See if you manage to intimidate me by insulting my character, though I can tell you right now that it won't.

The rules just said contribute your work and get it ingame. It didnt say 'no screenshots allowed' or 'only real paintings are permitted'. It really didnt.

tapestries.png

There were no "rules", other than that what would be picked would be whatever is most suitable for the game - which I believe they did. Unless you want to be nitpicky, and wanna read it as "paintings only" - then you can also disqualify the other computer rendered "original artwork", pencil drawings, and penworks. it also doesnt say "if you put a tapestry filter on it you will be disqualified. " it just says that you don't NEED to focus on anything but the painting (because it is easier for the art devs to altar/edit it with their own tapestry texture that way)

. Hell, it doesn't have any rules, at all, other than to just be creative and see what you can come up with! "it's entirely up to you" The people who just get around to be angry about "broken rules" from a friendly competition to let people be creative, maybe it's better they don't take part next time anyway. The point was to have fun and get creative and help add decoration to the game, not to pick out and chew on the devs when your favorite doesn't win.Ain't no real prize involved, anyways. Seriously.

All I read is "provide a nice image we can put on a tapestry that suits the game".

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 3

You do not need to focus on anything other than the painting itself, in other words to not paint the painting on a tapestry.

What you want to paint is entirely up you....

This suggests to me that actual real artistic talent was required, whatever the medium may be, not simply slapping a few filters on a screenshot. Had this been openly labelled as a simple screenshot competition i'd imagine there would have been many, many more suitable entries.

• Like 3

This suggests to me that actual real artistic talent was required, whatever the medium may be, not simply slapping a few filters on a screenshot. Had this been openly labelled as a simple screenshot competition i'd imagine there would have been many, many more suitable entries.

Whatever the medium may be, except the ones that I don't like. Okay!