Sign in to follow this  
Pidgeoni

Combat System

Following discussions about how the current combat system is bad but lag issues don't allow twitch fighting...

Some ideas about spicing up our fights without changing the core.

Also some annoying details that would be nice to see fixed.

Combat Feedback

- A way to see where your combat target is aiming, his focus level and any action or combat ability he is currently doing, either at the target window or at the bottom of the combat tab

- Paint informative combat lines including your target's name in a special way, eg. with purple

Protecting an area

- Buff the current defensive bonus, reduce incoming damage to that area

- Areas opposite to what you are protecting get a minor defensive debuff

- Add a working visual timer when trying to protect, similar to aiming at an area

Shield Bashing

- Reduce maximum stun duration to four seconds

- Add a combat message for when someone starts bashing you

- Add an animation

Focusing

- Remove the initial delay before it is made available

- Add a cooldown of ten seconds

- Add an animation

Special moves

- Remove the initial delay before they are made available

- Add a proper animation for them, instead of just holding whatever item you have activated

- Add a combat message for when someone starts using a special move on you

- Stop randomizing the order in which they are listed

- Fix the keybinds so that they actually work for all special moves

- Order them so that special moves of different aiming positions but with similar effects have the same keybind

- Add a ten-second group cooldown for all special moves of the same aiming position

Interrupting

- New move similar to shield bashing, available for all weapons and stances

- One second timer, ten second cooldown, five stamina cost

- Just aiming at the same direction as your opponent no longer blocks special moves, you have to use this ability instead

- If you succeed and you were aiming at the same position as your target, immediately interrupt any action he is doing; if it was a combat ability or spell, send it into cooldown

- If your fail, your aim is off or the target wasn't in the middle of an action, you make a bad move, stunning yourself for one second

Resting (catching your breath)

- A toggle button similar to ranged mode

- Toggling it on prevents you from attacking

- Let's you replenish stamina even in mid fight but at a slower rate

- Getting hit resets the time you have to wait before gaining stamina

Dynamic cooldowns

- Smaller shields have a shorter cooldown for bashing

- Larger shields block arrows better

- Smaller weapons have a shorter cooldown for interrupting

- Larger weapons have special moves that are harder to stop and with buffed special effects

- Lighter armours have a shorter cooldown for special moves

- High mind speed reduces focusing cooldown

NPC AI

- Give creatures their own special attacks in a more structured manner than the current triple-hit moves

- Add a combat message for when they start using a special move

- Make it possible to interrupt them

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 1

Combat Feedback

- A way to see where your combat target is aiming, his focus level and any action or combat ability he is currently doing, either at the target window or at the bottom of the combat tab It'd be really nice to see where the opponent is aiming, but how would it work for multiple people/animals attacking?

- Paint informative combat lines including your target's name in a special way, eg. with purple  More colors might be good, too much white currently outside of pretty much just hit or get hit

Protecting an area

- Buff the current defensive bonus, reduce incoming damage to that area  Not really sure how it works as is, it's not really used so hard to say what needs changing

- Areas opposite to what you are protecting get a minor defensive debuff  I believe this is how protecting/aiming already works, but that's just belief and not proven

- Add a working visual timer when trying to protect, similar to aiming at an area

Shield Bashing

- Reduce maximum stun duration to four seconds  I would personally rather remove the curve from shield bashing.  Reward those that grind it high while not letting everyone be an uber basher in days

- Add a combat message for when someone starts bashing you  We actually used to have this, not sure why it was removed

- Add an animation  We had this too pre 1.0

Focusing

- Remove the initial delay before it is made available  50/50 on it, with cooldown it could maybe be ok.  Might change fights too much if everyone gets max level in a minute

- Add a cooldown of ten seconds

- Add an animation

Special moves

- Remove the initial delay before they are made available  Concerning how powerful some are I can't agree to this

- Add a proper animation for them, instead of just holding whatever item you have activated

- Add a combat message for when someone starts using a special move on you  This could be handy

- Stop randomizing the order in which they are listed

- Fix the keybinds so that they actually work for all special moves

- Order them so that special moves of different aiming positions but with similar effects have the same keybind

- Add a ten-second group cooldown for all special moves of the same aiming position  This is really necessary as is, someone can spam a stun special move and constantly hit and keep you stunned

Interrupting  Giving a general statement here, I'm not too fond of this.  Aiming is the only way to block more than one person that can do special moves to you in the same area, and a group doing this can purposely force you to try interupting and lose your stamina

- New move similar to shield bashing, available for all weapons and stances

- One second timer, ten second cooldown, five stamina cost

- Just aiming at the same direction as your opponent no longer blocks special moves, you have to use this ability instead 

- If you succeed and you were aiming at the same position as your target, immediately interrupt any action he is doing; if it was a combat ability or spell, send it into cooldown

- If your fail, your aim is off or the target wasn't in the middle of an action, you make a bad move, stunning yourself for one second

Resting (catching your breath)    It's interesting, but I'm not sure.  Not much thought

- A toggle button similar to ranged mode

- Toggling it on prevents you from attacking

- Let's you replenish stamina even in mid fight but at a slower rate

- Getting hit resets the time you have to wait before gaining stamina

Dynamic cooldowns

- Smaller shields have a shorter cooldown for bashing  I think cooldown should be the same for all shields, it wouldn't accomplish much as people would just use small shields for bashing instead, since small shields can still block arrows fine as long as you aim properly

- Larger shields block arrows better

- Smaller weapons have a shorter cooldown for interrupting

- Larger weapons have special moves that are harder to stop and with buffed special effects 

- Lighter armours have a shorter cooldown for special moves

- High mind speed reduces focusing cooldown

NPC AI

- Give creatures their own special attacks in a more structured manner than the current triple-hit moves

- Add a combat message for when they start using a special move

- Make it possible to interrupt them

Mmm granted lag doesn't allow for much twitch fighting (not to mention other issues); however, that's not to say the devs can't cheat and make it look like twitch fighting while still based on stats and pseudo rng.

Oblivion and Skyrim are possibly two good examples of this. Granted those are single player... outside of mods.

It'd be really nice to see where the opponent is aiming, but how would it work for multiple people/animals attacking?

When someone who targets you aims, write a coloured line in combat log. For your target only, constantly display aim/focus/action at the bottom of the tab, next to where it writes stance and target name.

Not really sure how it works as is, it's not really used so hard to say what needs changing

I believe this is how protecting/aiming already works, but that's just belief and not proven

The attacker can change his aim before you can change yours, easily landing a hit when timed right. Protecting an area should have a very obvious effect to counter this. Make it twice as hard to hit an enemy who is protecting the area you are aiming, for hitting, bashing and special moves alike.

I would personally rather remove the curve from shield bashing.  Reward those that grind it high while not letting everyone be an uber basher in days

Removing the curve sounds good, but long stuns are never a good thing, since being stunned practically makes you a spectator of the fight for its duration. Perhaps something like eight seconds maximum then?

50/50 on it, with cooldown it could maybe be ok.  Might change fights too much if everyone gets max level in a minute

I would really like to see a different and viable way to start a fight other than bashing. With special moves also available immediately and the ability to interrupt focusing, I don't think focusing to the maximum will be a problem.

Concerning how powerful some are I can't agree to this

If something is too powerful right now, it should be toned down anyway. I guess you are talking about moves like the triple-hit-to-the-head or throwing-up, which someone could quickly perform then ride out of the fight until they are available again. Giving those a longer timer and with the ability to bash/interrupt them, I don't think it would be much of a problem, just something your opponent should look out for.

This is really necessary as is, someone can spam a stun special move and constantly hit and keep you stunned

Thinking more about this, a cooldown for specific special moves rather than for specific position would be better. So you cannot for example aim center-high, do a stun, then aim right-up and do another.

Giving a general statement here, I'm not too fond of this.  Aiming is the only way to block more than one person that can do special moves to you in the same area, and a group doing this can purposely force you to try interupting and lose your stamina

If protecting an area is buffed to make special moves much harder to hit but not completely prevent them this wouldn't be much of a problem. If you have to worry about multiple people aiming you, your fate is probably sealed anyway.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure.  Not much thought

The idea is to give people caught without stamina a chance to get into the fight. It would also encourage using abilities like focusing and special moves knowing you could get the stamina back later if needed. You'd have to catch your breath before you completely run out of stamina though, as getting hit at no stamina is easier and it would interrupt regeneration.

I think cooldown should be the same for all shields, it wouldn't accomplish much as people would just use small shields for bashing instead, since small shields can still block arrows fine as long as you aim properly

True, it was a bad idea. Perhaps shorter cooldown for smaller shields and longer stuns for larger shields would add variety more properly.

Mmm granted lag doesn't allow for much twitch fighting (not to mention other issues); however, that's not to say the devs can't cheat and make it look like twitch fighting while still based on stats and pseudo rng.

I was trying to think of ways to make combat more interesting without a complete engine overhaul.

Edited by Pidgeoni

wish it were more of the fps type fighting system instead of that click fight window.

can't stand that thing

Edited by Wizlawz

Heh was reading an article in PC Gamer about an old rpg Silver. I had pretty much forgotten about it till now, it had a pretty limited release and very lackluster marketing.

However, it was a pretty good game, especially for the time.

For anyone not familiar with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_(video_game)

http://www.pcgamer.com/reinstall-silver/

One thing the wiki article fails to point out is the fighting controls were more mouse-based. Make a gesture with the mouse and the sword swings that way, and so on.