Sign in to follow this  
Ocean

Change Bayeux tapestries!

The addition of tapestries is really nice, however the use of the Bayeux tapestries just seems very out of place because Wurm is a world in itself and adding historical tapestries from real life just seems awkward!

It would be extra cool if these were changed to be unique to Wurm, Wurmian tapestries, instead of Earth tapestries!

• Like 2

Yep i feel the same....it would be cool if the devs made another competition for players to enter.

They could draw scenes from Wurm's history and backstory....The Library of Sorrow burns....A great disease,Pale Death......Jenn-Kellon wise men discover strange gateways in the Golden Valley......ect.

Then the Dev's could pick the best ones and convert them to look like the Bayeux Tapestries in colour and style.

We could also use the same way Dev's add Kingdom art to PMK banners and flags to make new Tapestries.

• Like 5

Personally I think it would be fine to have several designs. One doesn't have to remove the Bayeux ones to achieve that though.

Choice is good - as much choice as possible.

• Like 1

Are tapestries available yet ?  if so, where are the recipes?  or where on wurmpedia ?

• Like 1

Okay I want one of hundreds raising their fists in anger to the gods, standing on ships to the south as the lands they loved winked out of existence with another fleet of heavily armed ruffians sailing off to one side, mooning them from the decks.

Or we can just enjoy some nice real world tapestries and pretend we don't know about their real world history. I'd rather have the art be actual art instead of the nonsense "lore" or praising the exploits of players on one old server.

There are hundreds if not thousands of lovely tapestries they can import into the game in the time it would take to make one from scratch.

• Like 1

i agree - any one of the 100s of lovely ones available - starting from scratch would detract from other more important things the devs have to do...

As a placeholder they can do for now. I do like the idea of making it a contest.

EDIT Also come to think of it, this would be a good place for an aesthetic moneysink tailored to the player.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

My suggestion is to use actual scenes from Wurm daily life, maniulated with filters to look like a woven tapestries.

I am not very good with filters and I am sure your art team can do 1000 times better but here are some examples:

http://wurm.brashendeavors.net/tapestries/

A few random ones:

T004.jpg

T007.jpg

T009.jpg

T010.jpg

T016.jpg

T018.jpg

T020.jpg

T021.jpg

T022.jpg

sorry that's more than "a few", I suck at making decisions ^_^ probably need some with dragons, mounted platemail knights, combat, giant spiders, scary HOTS type stuff, "cow among pumpkins" etc. also some like still life flowerpot, a few of Kegan's house decor, a dog, cherry trees in bloom

make them 100 percent OUR world, and our lives

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 6

My suggestion is to use actual scenes from Wurm daily life, maniulated with filters to look like a woven tapestries.

I am not very good with filters and I am sure your art team can do 1000 times better but here are some examples:

http://wurm.brashendeavors.net/tapestries/

A few random ones:

T004.jpg

T007.jpg

T009.jpg

T010.jpg

T016.jpg

T018.jpg

T020.jpg

T021.jpg

T022.jpg

Those look fantastic.

Edited by Ocean

sorry that's more than "a few", I suck at making decisions ^_^ probably need some with dragons, mounted platemail knights, combat, giant spiders, scary HOTS type stuff, "cow among pumpkins" etc. also some like still life flowerpot, a few of Kegan's house decor, a dog, cherry trees in bloom

make them 100 percent OUR world, and our lives

+1

The filters used actually do a fair job.

Are those stock photoshop or adobe filters?

I used a very old (10 year old maybe?) copy of paintshop pro

My original idea long ago was for an "Artist" skill. The wannabe artist could go around the countryside with sketchbook and charcoal sticks doing landscapes of Wurm. The full process:

process_001.jpg

1) The travelling artist finds a scene they like

process_002.jpg

2) They "commit scene to memory" (only one scene can be held in memory at a time)

process_003.jpg

3) Sketch memorized scene on sketchpad with charcoal stick.

This takes a long time to do it right, especially if you are not very skilled. 

Sometimes it is ruined and they need to start over with a fresh page. 

Now, they need to take the sketch back to their home studio...

process_004a.jpg

4) Using an easel and watercolor tints made from dyes/botanized items, they make a watercolor sketch.

Also a very slow lengthy process!

This sketch can now be sold/traded to other players

(who might even hire the artist to make a sketch of their homestead)

process_005a.jpg

5) Once the tapestry maker has a colorized sketch, they can use it as the basis for a personalized tapestry

Players can thus make tapestries of their own "stories", for things like "Raid On The Enemy's Castle", "Slaying Of A Dragon", "Cow Among the Pumpkins", "My Own Home Sweet Home", "Portrait of ME!"

Artists can try to make a living off their skill (low skill might only be able to do distorted versions, fail often or take forever to do) though I would imagine we'd get a large enough number of excited "landscape artists" that it would be more "lowpaid hobby" than hardcore profession like weaponsmith. However poor starving artists might find rich patrons willing to support their drive to be an artist!

Back when I posted this before, Rolf had a tiny team and it seemed a complete fantasy to even suggest.

However, I am encouraged by the recent burst of development that, five years from now, something like this might be really possible to see in Wurm!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

I immediately recognized the tapestries from the middle school history books, I also know where the rest of them come from which isn't any better but /care