Sign in to follow this  
moon

Map star for us

;)First off, let me start by saying I love this game,it as all a person could want in creation and crafting,Great job to all producers :D

however the lack to find ones self on the map leaves us limited to where we can go,trading is almost impossible,and starting out on an adventure is a no no, cause you most likely will have to suicide just to get back home,Please will you add self markers,please? If you could,I would say that wurm online is prefect crafting mmo :wub: Best wish 

Moon

Noooooooo. After a few weeks of playing you will know your local area very well and after that you'll know the area outside of that. There's no real need for live locations on the map. This is a survival game, now go survive! :)

-1 Please, no GPS.

Oh, and welcome.

you can use the stars to find nwse.

You can also use  your compass or the compass on the top of a settlement token to find your direction.

Edited by bwg
  • Like 2

I once got lost in a big forest at night. I didnt have a compass with me cause I thought I was a badass ( I am a badass ). So I cut the area around me to have a view on the sky. I searched for the constelation of hippocampus. It rises North West at the start of the night and it leaves us South West to give space for the rise of Sol. Search for it ;) It's a very distinguisable patern in the wurm sky. And it's been there for at least the last 3 years.

• Like 1

Protip: Lost with no compass?

Check the wind direction using ./weather

If the wind is strong watch which way the grass is blowing. If not - make a campfire and watch the smoke.

• Like 7

It is illogical to oppose suggestions that help players enjoy Wurm, especially when using the feature can be optional.  If you enjoy surviving, leave your compass at home and play the game the way you like.  But if someone else prefers to always have their compass and/or would like to have a little pixel light up on the ingame map to tell them where they are (GPS), there is no reason to argue against it.  

I think if Rolf added a setting to turn on a GPS feature, it would help to eliminate new players getting disoriented and lost, especially when trying to find their body - what some consider to be a joy but others a headache.

• Like 3

It is illogical to oppose suggestions that help players enjoy Wurm, especially when using the feature can be optional. If you enjoy surviving, leave your compass at home and play the game the way you like. But if someone else prefers to always have their compass and/or would like to have a little pixel light up on the ingame map to tell them where they are (GPS), there is no reason to argue against it.

I think if Rolf added a setting to turn on a GPS feature, it would help to eliminate new players getting disoriented and lost, especially when trying to find their body - what some consider to be a joy but others a headache.

It could be part of the 24 hour newbie package!

• Like 2

It is illogical to oppose suggestions that help players enjoy Wurm, especially when using the feature can be optional.  If you enjoy surviving, leave your compass at home and play the game the way you like.  But if someone else prefers to always have their compass and/or would like to have a little pixel light up on the ingame map to tell them where they are (GPS), there is no reason to argue against it.  

yes this ^ and next step could be NPCs everywhere with stupid quests for coins and equipment ... and another day we will login into another "World of Warcraft" like crap game

NO THANKS

if you have brain, you will find ways to locate yourself, ask in local in worse ... if not, you are logged into wrong game, relog please immediately

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 3

"map star for us"?

...the stars are up there, like clockwork..as are the planets.

Make your own "star map"..don't plead for a "GPS star" on the maps

of Wurm.  If you want a "direction gadget"...make a compass.

Or buy one.  Or steal one.  Whatever it takes.  No need for

a magical moving dot on a map. 

*grumble* ..wasn't that far back there were no maps of Wurm..other

than the ones that the players penciled up.

No GPS for meeee...I like it the way it beeee.

No.

Also, move this to suggestions forum, where bad suggestions go to die.

• Like 1

This is a survival game, now go survive! :)

Actually it was supposed to be a PvP game, so go PvP.

• Like 1

Actually it was supposed to be a PvP game, so go PvP.

..........sorry...the mobs have first dibs on the noobians.

..............whatever survives that can go PVP...[briefly]

Edited by Grimleaper

Make it toggleable so those who don't like it don't need to use it.

• Like 1

yes this ^ and next step could be NPCs everywhere with stupid quests for coins and equipment ... and another day we will login into another "World of Warcraft" like crap game

NO THANKS

if you have brain, you will find ways to locate yourself, ask in local in worse ... if not, you are logged into wrong game, relog please immediately

ok frist of all some of us for what ever reson do not have the abilty to find ones way around in rl let alone in a massive game such wurm.

i really like this suggestion,are even a package to buy,are an enchanted item that can me made =)

ok frist of all some of us for what ever reson do not have the abilty to find ones way around in rl let alone in a massive game such wurm.

They should use the same techniques as in RL. Idk, dropping bread crumbs to find the way back?

If Rolf was going to put this in, he'd have done it when the new maps came out.

Once again, no thanks to this suggestion. To many stories come from getting lost, good and bad. Down the track they are fun to laugh about.

NO THANKS

Are you actually comparing Wurm and WOW?  If every suggestion ever offered were implemented, Wurm would not be WOW.  Wurm could never be WOW.

Here's the amazing part.  I am a 5-year vet of this game.  I certainly do not need a DOT on the map to tell me where I am.  You might also be a veteran of this game.  So actually, this suggestion has nothing to do with either of us, except that I just bet A DOT on a newbie map is not going to kill your fun or mine.

These shout-out NO WAY posts from vets about suggestions that could not possibly harm them are just.... I don't even know what to call them... childish maybe???

I actually like the map just how it is! 

I live on Xanadu.. Which is quite frankly gigantic! But adding something like this into the game would kinda ruin the fun of it..

I go off on hunting trips A LOT! And I get lost A LOT! But.. I learn to recognize my surroundings and compare area's like a huge desert or a mountain with the player map then judge the size of Xanadu and say Ok.. If I started at R11 and I can see a huge desert and some mountains near by I must be around P10 or P11. 

Pretend it was real life back in that time and age.. GPS didn't exist and there was no magic map's which said "You are here" you had to look at maps and compare your surroundings! 

Personally I enjoy that aspect of the game. 

• Like 1

They should use the same techniques as in RL. Idk, dropping bread crumbs to find the way back?

[12:32:07] Old fat dog eats a bread crumb.

-1 The compass and the player-made pristine map is all I needed to get oriented. It's really not that difficult.

Edited by Karthannar

Yes, because who cares about PvE.

PvN is waaay better.

...walk a few paces..."pack the dirt"...

.........walk a few paces..."pack the dirt"...

................walk a few paces..."pack the dirt".

........ever see a looong line of packed tiles?

[No, they were not created by the dirt faeries...they are the visible evidence

that someone is using their "shovel compass".]

I'm against the inclusion of magical navigation. All for the addition of actual navigation tools like sextants or astrolabes (even if their use is grossly simplified and enhanced). At best a tool should give you an approximate and somewhat uncertain answer of roughly what your coordinates are, which you can then reference on the map.

I disagree with the argument that those that don't want it can just not use it and not be affected. Reliable navigation limits the flows of people over distance and thus affects hunting and settlement patterns. People that wanted some sense of isolation and chose to settle in an out of the way location (without going to the extreme of having a private island of mountain sanctuary) shouldn't have their isolation threatened by any passerby using a GPS system.

As to lost newbies, I highly encourage you t use the packed dirt method Grim mentioned above, or some variation. When entering a new area you should always keep an eye on landmarks in the distance such as mountains or bays and constantly look for good vantage points to check those landmarks. In a situation where there are no good markers, make some (chop trees, pack dirt etc). Before you leave camp make a fire (or even better, coalpile - it lasts days) so you can see the smoke if nearby. Take bearings with your compass from camp to major landmarks so you always know, for instance, that the sea is to the south and the mountain to the east.

the sun rises in the east and sets in the west

at mid day it is closest to the south

download the map dumps for a more accurate indication of the clay, marsh, mountains etc which you can use as landmarks

http://www.wurmonline.com/Maps

wiki doesn't seem to be working at the moment

As was shown in many posts in this thread, there are an abundance of ways to find direction and location on a map without having to include a GPS-like system. Use those, it isn't too hard; let us not follow the path of other MMO's, let us be unique.