Sign in to follow this  
Karthannar

Infrastructure adjustments L/M 13/14 area

Hey server peeps, I just wanted to inform you folks of some adjustments to the road infrastructure I would like to make in this area. There used to be a fair number of deeds in this area. However a lot of people in the area have either moved to other servers (*cough*Xanadu*cough*) or stopped playing. As a result, there are a fair number of "roads to nowhere" and the road situation is generally a mess.

Here's a not-entirely-comprehensive list of changes that I would like to make over time:

• Flattening the tar pit south of Karthwasten to make it more newbie friendly. As well building a public safe house next to it to keep people from immediately deeding over it.
  • Finishing the road around the penninsula at the M14 area.
  • Creation of a more straightforward route to the land bridge through Paramount Lake starting from M13 and going to N13. Perhaps adjusting it so the N13 side doesn't go over clay at that end.
  • Destroying the random gravel road just south of Karthwasten. (You can thank a villager of mine for that bit of randomness) Converting that gravel road into cobble.
  • Restoration of the road that previously went through the former deed of Woodhelvenin.
  • Making a pass of the more commonly used roads to ensure they are flat horizontally, and are not greater than 20 slope vertically.
  • Making an easy route to the now public trader at N14.

That's all I can think of right now. I may add more as I take a better survey of the area. If you have any questions, would like to contribute or have concerns- PM on the forums, post here, or /tell me in-game as Karthannar.

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for intrusion, this realy doesn't concern me at all and maybe i don't realy understand the situation corectly but I don't really get it why are people so upset with roads that are no longer frequently used and have the urge to destroy them? Does they really do so much harm or maybe can mean the difference beetween life and death for some newb who decide to wonder into wilderness providing him faster escape from beasts. Imho you'll never know when will someone need them.

My biggest issue is with roads that don't lead to anywhere useful or to someone's deed. I don't have issue with multiple roads that lead to the same place for convenience or safety. Some of the "roads" I'm looking to eliminate are ones like these:

f952f1393f.jpg

There are quite a few of them around here. These are helping no one and are ugly as hell.

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for intrusion, this realy doesn't concern me at all and maybe i don't realy understand the situation corectly but I don't really get it why are people so upset with roads that are no longer frequently used and have the urge to destroy them? Does they really do so much harm or maybe can mean the difference beetween life and death for some newb who decide to wonder into wilderness providing him faster escape from beasts. Imho you'll never know when will someone need them.

A road to nowhere is a deathtrap for those who are running from mobs. (And they look bad.) :P

I'm guessing the dark forrest maze of roads to nowhere is probably the leading cause of lost items for players as well. (Edit: At least is was for me when I first started)

But hey, its a fun (although ugly) treasure hunt for the rest of us. :D

I'm all for keeping returning Pristine to being "pristine".

Edited by Tuanta
  • Like 1

I'm all in favour of a server wide tidy up. there's a lot of ugly places that need sorting, and roads that are stupidly steep.

and if we all picked up litter (woodscraps and corpses) as we went it'd be a nicer place, invite more settlers, and in turn boost the economy by having local community people who would buy our items :)

• Like 1

All sounds good Karth except the removal of the gravel road (I used that regularly to get to the lake and the tar but guess it's cool if you want it gone as it's so near to your place). I too like to clean up messes when I can, I agree we had a ton of bits and pieces of roads or 'driveways' to nowhere in the area, so good on you for doing what you can.

All sounds good Karth except the removal of the gravel road (I used that regularly to get to the lake and the tar but guess it's cool if you want it gone as it's so near to your place). I too like to clean up messes when I can, I agree we had a ton of bits and pieces of roads or 'driveways' to nowhere in the area, so good on you for doing what you can.

Excellent, exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! I'll probably just convert it to cobble then- although getting to the tar is faster if you just continue south on the road that goes through my deed.

Karthannar, 

Ozzland and I were the ones who made the land bridge across Lake Paramount.  We are not happy with it and have plans to get rid of the corners.  We didn't know it turned into a main use road.

Today I took my catapult out and started removing fences in that are in the way.  I'm hoping to be able to do more tonight.

Frog

As Frogilla said we are not happy with the land bridge to say the least, and a little embarrassed.  We built that months ago and I have learned to count much better i swear.

We have been talking to URB about extending the highway down to the water and across the lake. When you have time Karthannar send me a tell as we are willing to help do the change or extension we just recently moved back across the lake to South Shore where we were before.

Ozzland

• Like 2

A BIG thank you to both Frogilla and Ozzland for making that land bridge!

You may want to wait a month(ish) for bridges as that may offer more options while allowing boat access.

I'd be happy to help in the reconstruction.

• Like 2

Once bridges are in game I'd like to dredge part of the land bridge and bridge over it so there can be large ship access.

Hey Karthannar can you hit me up(Online on Urb) whenever your in game i want to talk to you about the cleaning up of the area, I've already slowly started on it and just want to hear what your exact plans are.

Edited by urban

Better highway south from Karthwasten to land bridge will be done in the next couple days.

Special thanks to Urb and Frogilla for the help.

Hey if anyone is bored Your welcome to come and give us a hand i hope to expand this project out to more of pristine.

I'll make sure to have decent meals and such down here.

A BIG thank you to both Frogilla and Ozzland for making that land bridge!

You may want to wait a month(ish) for bridges as that may offer more options while allowing boat access.

I'd be happy to help in the reconstruction.

Count me in :-)

Better highway south from Karthwasten to land bridge will be done in the next couple days.

Special thanks to Urb and Frogilla for the help.

Awesome!

As far as my end goes, I've repaved part of the gravel road south of Karthwasten so far. I've had a bunch of hours unexpectedly dumped on me this week at work. So I'm not progressing on my end as much as I would like. I plan on converting the rest of the gravel road into cobble tomorrow. If I have time after that I will connect the section of road Urb was working on to the road going to the now public trader. I've also levelled 4 of the 6 tiles of the nearby tar pit. The deed coc safehouse next to it will come sometime soon.

As far as that trader goes, Lisabet built an open wooden shack around him. I'll get in contact with her after the road bit is done to get that shack converted into something that won't disintegrate in a couple of weeks :P

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1

I lied, got home early last night.

Double wide highway is now in place all the way to the land bridge partly packed and not paved but in place.

Well, the gravel road is all cobble and nice and flat horizontally. I'm nearly done with the digging part with the road going to the trader- I will be widening the road going through Karthwasten to be two tiles. There's a lot of bashing/catapulting I need to do, so that will likely happen later on down the line.

In the meantime I'll also start working on a road update for the community map. I don't think the roads in this area have changed much since I last updated the map. So I can provide Capi with a nice transparent .png to paste on to the road layer in the photoshop file. (Once everything is finalized, anyway.)

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1