Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Short "woodless" names for wood stuffs

Small Pinewood raft?  As opposed to the small pinerock raft?

Let's make our inventory windows just a little smaller and remove the needless "wood" from the names of wood products.

If a name starts with a type of wood, we can safely assume it is wood ;)

• Like 2

True for Pine Cedar Willow

Might get confusing with Apple Lemon Cherry Olive

Cherry Caravel sounds like a dessert

Apple Hunting Arrow puts funny pictures in my head ^_^

Same with Lemon Catapult

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Can see it as an optional toggle in settings for displaying the material type.

Although some of the older items may function differently regardless.

Can see it as an optional toggle in settings for displaying the material type.

Although some of the older items may function differently regardless.

Its not about displaying or not the material type but displaying Pine Large Cart instead of Pinewood Large Cart, for example.

Honestly, +0 It never really bothered me, plus i do believe that its more correct the way it is in Wurm atm. The native English speakers can comment on that.

Ah, aye I was thinking of it saying "Large Cart" instead of "Pinewood Large Cart"

Pinewood is techically fine; however, typically it is shortened to pine or just dropped entirely. At least where I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and working at lumber mills.

Every region has its own little idiosyncrasies.

Maybe get different shaded or colored icon's for each wood type?  Still a bit confusing but would be neat, can then just toggle the wood type option in gamesettings to turn wood type off.

• Like 1

For me, the main issue is when I have lots of inventory windows open, I have to make them just that much wider, for the extra description in the name.  Ability to turn off wood type in the inventory would be a huge plus.  When I sort my inventory by name, I may have named my rafts by "armor", "tools", etc, but the name sorting will sort the rafts by wood type first, then the names I give them, which is a bummer.  Means I have to make all my rafts, barrels, buckets the same wood types to avoid sorting issues.

Agreed, this isn't the game breaker like some other issues are, but it is the suggestions box and I believe all suggestions great and small get welcomed here.  It is especially important to share ideas here, because you never know when something is in development that falls right in line with a good suggestion here.

"Lemon Catapult"  I want one!  Agreed, some items are probably more suitable with wood in the name, for any new players that have no experience with what wood types exist.  "Apple FSB" might suggest only apples can be stored in them.

So maybe the best answer is a toggle in inventory window, to turn on or off the wood type in item name.

sad to see wood types go with the new boat models, but when they do i can hardly see a need for the wood type to remain in the name on catapults or caravels

or rafts, definitely hard to sort my rafts and crates currently, so im all in favor for a check box !

it would remove the "willow" or "pinewood" on the things it doesnt matter

it would stay on tools and bows, where type matters ofc,

There is already a setting to hide the material type. It's not just wood though. Just mentioning it because no one else has.

There is already a setting to hide the material type. It's not just wood though. Just mentioning it because no one else has.

However, on unchecking this, I still see the same wood descriptions, so am unsure what this check box actually does.

+1 Please remove all wood types, which can be shown on "examine" and...

- it would be great if the wood visuals/graphics were consistent throughout all wooden items, showing colour and texture.  (Btw, imo the oak visual is ugly)

Also, please rename certain items with shorter and more consistent names like cloth strings, cloth squares, etc, instead of strings of cloth and squares of cloth - this would also make for easier sorting in containers.

For me, the main issue is when I have lots of inventory windows open, I have to make them just that much wider, for the extra description in the name.  Ability to turn off wood type in the inventory would be a huge plus.  When I sort my inventory by name, I may have named my rafts by "armor", "tools", etc, but the name sorting will sort the rafts by wood type first, then the names I give them, which is a bummer.  Means I have to make all my rafts, barrels, buckets the same wood types to avoid sorting issues.

Agreed, this isn't the game breaker like some other issues are, but it is the suggestions box and I believe all suggestions great and small get welcomed here.  It is especially important to share ideas here, because you never know when something is in development that falls right in line with a good suggestion here.

"Lemon Catapult"  I want one!  Agreed, some items are probably more suitable with wood in the name, for any new players that have no experience with what wood types exist.  "Apple FSB" might suggest only apples can be stored in them.

So maybe the best answer is a toggle in inventory window, to turn on or off the wood type in item name.

Myabe add a new option on the window. We can pick "hide imp column" why not "hide material type"?

However, on unchecking this, I still see the same wood descriptions, so am unsure what this check box actually does.

I never actually tried it before, but I just did, what it's doing is when it's checked items are named like "pickaxe, iron" and unchecked items are named like "iron pickaxe". If it was a drop down select box with options for material before, after or hidden instead of a check box that would cover all bases. Also I agree with Baloo and renaming items to be more consistent with thought given to sorting.

Edited by NESGamepro