Sign in to follow this  
Libila_Is_OP

[Chaos Only] Add Increasing Respawn Timer On Death

if you die 5-10 times on a character you really should have a respawn timer.

if you are a main and die that much you really do need the respawn timer to think how you will not die that much.

• Like 2

Letting yourself get killed over and over is a valid strategy to trick and lure your enemy into staying around. Just because these fools fell for it doesn't mean it should be removed from the game.

HEY MOM, REMEMBER THAT KID WHO I STOLE A PENCIL FROM?

HE STOLE A PENCIL FROM ME TODAY, AND IT HURT MY FEELINGS

I CANT STAND IT WHEN PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO DO WHAT I DO!

On a serious note, readd the bannable offense for using alts to intervene in PvP in any way shape or form, such as using alts to find enemies, using alts to log in and add people to deed so they can teleport, using alts to repair towers during bashes, etc...

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

So much +1 to this.

I have seen this been abused so many times. Just yesterday BL were using alts to be killed over and over again so that they could cast land of the dead. Personally i think that this is a bannable offence and is seriously abusing the use of f2p players.

As sugested above, if you die 3 times in an area, it takes 1 min to spawn again, die again, 10 mins, die again, 30mins... etc. 

Lol you lost a fight, so you want the opponents strategy taken away. Typical day in chaos.

No, we won the fight. The point remains that running no-risk alts for things like this is stupid.

Honestly making timers will just mean people make more alts and cycle through them and even if they need to prem them that won't stop it as you see with the local list change.

If you really want to stop people using alts in PvP just make it a bannable offense; but none of the bs rules that were in place before that were totally open to personal interpretation and were selectively enforced; just say there is zero logging in alternate characters in a PvP situation (unless it is your main character) or there is a reasonable explanation; ie;

- Your deed is being attacked so you login a deed/writ holding account and don't make a nuisance of yourself (ie sits in the deed just adding people to writs/village)

- The character is clearly not a alt; ie has a bunch of skills - if your deed is being raided you might login other peoples characters for various legitimate reasons and not know if it had lapsed it's premium.

And to clear those who might have multiple characters for priest/crafting any character that has enough fs (20,5+) to pop death tabs is declared NOT A ALT; if someone wants to grind a alts fs and hand over free fs to the enemy I don't think anyone cares.

bind the timer to IP and character, though have separate timers between Chaos and Epic, and perhaps no timer at all on freedom.    Also, building proxy detection into the game while it may be unpopular to some players, needs to happen.  There is too much room for abuse unless it is done and should be seen as unfairly bypassing game mechanics with third party programs anyways.   

Lol you lost a fight, so you want the opponents strategy taken away. Typical day in chaos.

Please actually educate yourself on a topic before posting nonsense. Thanks.

Your suggestion doesn't really make a difference between alts and "legit" players. 

[Along with some 5 other paragraphs which attempt to make the same point]

No, of course it doesn't. I never once said it did. BUT if you ARE a legit player and you DIE 5 times within 5 minutes I see no problem with you having a respawn timer and quite honestly I think you NEED one since you are not only acting like an alt at that point, but you clearly need a time-out to figure out what the hell you're actually doing.

bind the timer to IP and character, though have separate timers between Chaos and Epic, and perhaps no timer at all on freedom

You actually think Rolf has the ability to code such mechanics? Rofl. All I'm going say is, combat doesn't even work 100%. Just add a timer, simple solutions for simple problems. This is CHAOS ONLY, as clearly stated in the title. This isn't even an issue on Epic as far as I am aware but if they want it they can lobby for it. There is no need for something like this on Freedom whatsoever as it affects noone.

As for people using multiple alts, yes I could see that becoming an issue. But if you have to log in another alt chances are at the rate Wurm loads your timer would be up before you've loaded a new client so effectively it would still cause a delay which is fine with me.

Edited by Libila_Is_OP

You actually think Rolf has the ability to code such mechanics? Rofl. All I'm going say is, combat doesn't even work 100%. Just add a timer, simple solutions for simple problems. This is CHAOS ONLY, as clearly stated in the title. This isn't even an issue on Epic as far as I am aware but if they want it they can lobby for it. There is no need for something like this on Freedom whatsoever as it affects noone.

As for people using multiple alts, yes I could see that becoming an issue. But if you have to log in another alt chances are at the rate Wurm loads your timer would be up before you've loaded a new client so effectively it would still cause a delay which is fine with me.

Have to say, Rolf's ability to get coding right isn't exactly high on my expectations either, but there are a few other ways we could help mitigate the issue with alts.   

1.  List exactly what alts are disrupting. 

2. When you die, you get a debuff that keeps you from interupting any action, spells, bashing, anything.   This does not apply if you drop tabs upon death.    

One of the things I think Rolf has been getting right is responding to specific issues that alts are posing in pvp.    Personally I think it would be more successful to simply ban people using alts so abusively, but that isn't intended to be an actual suggestion or nor is it fair or practical.    Honestly anyone who is that abusive that use alts to the point that they can't maintain a war deed without abusing them simply shouldn't be playing the game.  They don't deserve to function in any gaming community, and are as bad as people who macro or exploit known game mechanic flaws, because that is exactly what they are doing.   They are exploiting a flaw in the core of our game mechanics.

Letting yourself get killed over and over is a valid strategy to trick and lure your enemy into staying around. Just because these fools fell for it doesn't mean it should be removed from the game.

Alts when used responsibly, help encourage more diversity in PvP by allowing players to use their priest, or switch to their fighter, but that isn't what is going on in this post.    What is going on is the core of the game mechanics are being abused.    This isn't fair to the players that want to legitimately play the game and have fun under the intended mechanics.    Many responses to these alt issues I've seen by Rolf over the years indicates to me that he considers this a serious problem, as many of the issues with tower repair, spy alts, etc have been responded to.  If he didn't care or thought it was an intended mechanic we would not see such a response.   

Edited by Battlepaw

No, of course it doesn't. I never once said it did. BUT if you ARE a legit player and you DIE 5 times within 5 minutes I see no problem with you having a respawn timer and quite honestly I think you NEED one since you are not only acting like an alt at that point, but you clearly need a time-out to figure out what the hell you're actually doing.

yay for restricting legit players? O.o

Why does someone care if I would throw myself into a fight that often, specially when it comes to defending a deed I belong to.

I'm all fine with putting in some mechanics for restricting abuse, but if we would start arguing that "stupidity" or "inexperience" or "having no plan of pvp" or simply "chosen playstyle" to be reasons to restrict players, then this game suddenly becomes as hand holding as a themepark mmo....

+1

But, I would say only for non-prem characters. This may affect main characters who have run out of premium temporarily, however if that's the case a minute timer (or whatever) won't affect them too much as they probably won't be going out and running into enemy lines.

An ever increasing timer for F2P characters to respawn would mean they either have to have a lot more alts, as Gavin said, or wait between respawning. 

Does no one else find that list Aamanus posted absolutely ridiculous? There is absolutely no intent to "defend" from those alts. 

Alternate idea, make alt abuse a bannable offence. Every kingdom complains about it, every kingdom is affected. 

Not sure about the other "alts" that were there, but my "alt" piggybank, is premium and I'll use it how I see fit.

Perhaps check your facts before you start complaining about "f2p's"

Not sure about the other "alts" that were there, but my "alt" piggybank, is premium and I'll use it how I see fit.

Perhaps check your facts before you start complaining about "f2p's"

That is exactly the reason why this cannot just be added for F2P accounts, it has to be global, for everyone. Because only adding it for F2P will not fix a single thing, since all the rich kids are already bypassing this by just preming their suicide / local alts.

When rolf starts to inhibit peoples respawn times thus their play times, his subscribers will drop quite a bit.

I pay for a character to play the game, not wait for a respawn timer. 

If I want to kill my character 100 times, i'll kill my character 100 times, who the hell are you hiding behind an alt yourself, to judge me or anyone else for how we choose to play our characters?

There is no rule stating you cannot suicide, if you don't like it, don't kill the alts, theres already a 5 minute cooldown.  

That is exactly the reason why this cannot just be added for F2P accounts, it has to be global, for everyone. Because only adding it for F2P will not fix a single thing, since all the rich kids are already bypassing this by just preming their suicide / local alts.

I pay premium for an account and my money is worth exactly the same worth as yours, so I should be able to do anything I want to with it.

Edited by Fooligun
  • Like 1

Rolf has always displayed a tendency to prefer hard-coded solutions over methods that require GM monitoring and interference.

One such solution would be as the OP mentions, placing a cumulative cooldown on respawning. Especially after the first ten to twenty deaths, which is pretty high for a regular char.

Killing an alt char a few hundred times to spam corpses for an enchant does seem offhand to be exploiting, especially as the usage of an alt allows one to ignore the skill penalties on death. However, ultimately it is up to a Dev to decide that.

• Like 2

Rolf has always displayed a tendency to prefer hard-coded solutions over methods that require GM monitoring and interference.

One such solution would be as the OP mentions, placing a cumulative cooldown on respawning. Especially after the first ten to twenty deaths, which is pretty high for a regular char.

Killing an alt char a few hundred times to spam corpses for an enchant does seem offhand to be exploiting, especially as the usage of an alt allows one to ignore the skill penalties on death. However, ultimately it is up to a Dev to decide that.

If a character is paid for, it is not an alt, it is a main.

On to your point of "Killing an alt char a few hundred times...."

I suicided my alt a grand total of 0 times yesterday, all the killing was done by the enemy.  

So if its such a problem, ignore the chars, don't kill them just for a reason to whine.

Im sorry was there a point in there somewhere?

Or simply making unsubstantiated claims?

• Like 1

Please define an alt.

The point was the alt suiciding comments are invalid as the suicide command was not used yesterday, which is what spurred this "suggestion".

Besides, there are way more exploitable issues going on on this server right now that should have the devs attention, instead of trying to control how people use paid accounts.

When rolf starts to inhibit peoples respawn times thus their play times, his subscribers will drop quite a bit.

Which is why the first two words of the title of this topic are "Chaos Only." I don't know many people who like alts in any aspect of PvP, be it as scouts or for FS gains or for zombiez. I'd argue that such a change would make PvP better and increase subscribers if anything.

Edited by Docterchese

Which is why the first two words of the title of this topic are "Chaos Only." I don't know many people who like alts in any aspect of PvP, be it as scouts or for FS gains or for zombiez. I'd argue that such a change would make PvP better and increase subscribers if anything.

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Did I say suiciding? Did I ever say a prem char was an alt?

Funny... I dont recall such statements. Must have missed my comments and views over the years regarding prem chars.

I do recall making the point that the mass killing of alternative characters seems like a workaround of the death penalties to skills.

Not to mention an accumulating cooldown timer on respawns after say, fifteen deaths would have little impact on most players. Course the exact numbers would be up to the devs.

Its like a broken record... I'm just gonna bow out with a big -1