Sign in to follow this  
Wizlawz

ok so i see there are traps...i like traps.

i guess you could say i got spoiled with traps in GW, and then again in the Assasin Creed series with washington and Connor.

and i guess trapping is only for pvp here? why?

i asked about being a trapper in pvp...was told do Not do it, as there are enchantments, spells, whatever that will allow traps to be seen, avoided etc?

i would really like to see traps for pve for hunting....i mean we can track right?

idk a whole lot about this realm..... but i really dont want to do terraform traps, if even possible.

i guess i am not understanding why they are not able to be used pve.

if trapping is not a big thing in pvp, or so i have heard.....why is it in pvp?

i always thought when there was nothing else to hunt with, when all was to seem lost, and hope was only a whisper....a trap would save your life.

Edited by Wizlawz

Perhaps a new item that kind of works like the charcoal piles do? When left off deed in a area with trees within a certain distance of the trap it will produce a small game animal such as a rabbit that can be filleted for a small amount of meat. This would also provide newbies with much needed meat when most animals can kill them right off the bat.

Perhaps a new item that kind of works like the charcoal piles do? When left off deed in a area with trees within a certain distance of the trap it will produce a small game animal such as a rabbit that can be filleted for a small amount of meat. This would also provide newbies with much needed meat when most animals can kill them right off the bat.

+1 for the charcoal pile idea, and the must be left far from a deed (50 tiles?)

Traps work in both PvP and PvE, but the reason they're not used is more of an effort vs. reward thing. They're annoying to build, heavy, have a large volume, and you have to make the mob or player chase you onto the exact tile of the trap. Easier to just stick a sword in them and be done with it.

I want a trap that will kill a troll before it can bash my fences.  :ph34r:

Traps work in both PvP and PvE, but the reason they're not used is more of an effort vs. reward thing. They're annoying to build, heavy, have a large volume, and you have to make the mob or player chase you onto the exact tile of the trap. Easier to just stick a sword in them and be done with it.

ohh ok.

what about baiting the trap(s)? i read on the wurmpedia abut leaving seeds,meats,corpses, etc would attract animals?

that is what i was after...go set some traps put out some bait and check every  couple of days.

good to know they can be used pve for animals...i will start experimenting around then. was told you couldn't use em pve...so this suggestion surfaced. sry then if this is a wasted space. although it could change up to new traps? but idk how many traps there are or how many dif kinds.

There are already traps for PvP. And also for Pve called: armor and weapon or a bow. 

-1 from me

no need for more traps imo. If newbies need meat they can fish. if they want to kill animals they can train their fs to 20 on a doll then go hunt.

Edited by Stinky

There are already traps for PvP. And also for Pve called: armor and weapon or a bow. 

-1 from me

no need for more traps imo. If newbies need meat they can fish. if they want to kill animals they can train their fs to 20 on a doll then go hunt.

actually it wasn't a suggestion primarily for more traps just to use current traps as a trapper profession for hunting.....basically

Edited by Wizlawz

actually it wasn't a suggestion primarily for more traps just to use current traps as a trapper profession for hunting.....basically

still -1

there is like 12 type of weapons and 6 type of shields? for hunting + spirits + guard towers and i dont know what else, I get that idea but i dont agree with it.

It's sad that traps are not often used because they are hard to make and sometimes plant 

According to the wiki,

Allies, neutrals, and monsters remain unaffected.

So even if you can place a trap in PvE (never tried it), it wouldn't do anything.

According to the wiki,

So even if you can place a trap in PvE (never tried it), it wouldn't do anything.

exactly. let it be for PvE Hunting, baiting Traps as well

Edited by Wizlawz

+1 I always support making traps work on mobs (at least on PvE servers). I also always like the alternative suggestion for making an item that dummies capturing rabbits or whatever (without actually adding those small critters as mobs).

Traps do work on aggro mobs, they used to work on dragons but was nerfed after the famous Red Dragon 1 Hit Man trap, they now do very minimal damage to uniques IF THEY HIT (they have a high evade rate on traps)

The time and effort of making traps in hunting is not worth it as traps are a consumable item. They can give you edges in PvP if you know which traps to use but they are very situational.

I have 50+ traps skill

Traps do work on aggro mobs, they used to work on dragons but was nerfed after the famous Red Dragon 1 Hit Man trap, they now do very minimal damage to uniques IF THEY HIT (they have a high evade rate on traps)

The time and effort of making traps in hunting is not worth it as traps are a consumable item. They can give you edges in PvP if you know which traps to use but they are very situational.

I have 50+ traps skill

what defines an aggro mob? 1 or more thane 1? (idk here in this realm) and which ones?

i was a trapper in GW so i was going to apply what i learned there to here for trapping mobs..but not spamtraps.

we would pull them to the traps.{Ranger/Trapper}. i have heard that pulling werks here as well.

Aggro mob - anything that's red outlined

There's no "luring" or "baiting" mobs, although meat piles do attract creatures but you'll be waiting hours and if you were to trap a creature while you were away the mob would have ran off else where or died elsewhere.

In short, Traps in Wurm are situational and have very little purpose outside of PvP. While they do work outside of PvP - the time spent making and using them you could have killed 20 times more with a sword.

Aggro mob - anything that's red outlined

There's no "luring" or "baiting" mobs, although meat piles do attract creatures but you'll be waiting hours and if you were to trap a creature while you were away the mob would have ran off else where or died elsewhere.

In short, Traps in Wurm are situational and have very little purpose outside of PvP. While they do work outside of PvP - the time spent making and using them you could have killed 20 times more with a sword.

exactly why i would like to see them viable in pve, it is a survival sim as well is it not? and even the most basic survivial skill will tell you to trap.

why do they take so much time to set up? was it nerfed ages ago due to abuse or what?  is it starting to seem to me that traps here are like the snipers in other games?...the "camping" aspect? a trap is an lie and wait i agree.....and if it was abuse fine then leave as is for pvp but for pve let it have a viable use in hunting and survival.

Traps were put in game as a pvp item I believe. They are difficult to make as they give you a pvp advantage. The reason they are not worth the effort in PvP is you need high skill to make them, in order for them to be very effective you then need to improve them to high quality. Then you need to plant them (you can fail to plant, and destroy the whole thing) and they are a consumer able.

The Effort Vs Profit ratio for traps is very very very tiny for PvE which is why they're not worth it.

It would be cool if you could make a basic trap where mob could walk onto it and they would permanently be stuck there until you kill it.

It would be cool if you could make a basic trap where mob could walk onto it and they would permanently be stuck there until you kill it.

If by "permanent", you mean until the trap decays, perhaps with increased decay rate while something is caught, then I can agree to that.

Traps being workable in pve would be great.

However, they should still have minimal impact on uniques.

Traps being workable in pve would be great.

However, they should still have minimal impact on uniques.

idk anything about that as idk of it etc, but i can agree to that. with the pve trapping i was only thinking of the basic(?) mobs? like spiders, bears, deer etc, not the "fantasy " like ones: hell hound, fiend, unicorns, etc.