Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Oak Tools

Well in another topic there was talk about if the tool was oak or not and it got me wondering has anyone ever tested the oak vs the other woods? I would guess they must have since it is in the wiki but is it really that big of a difference and is this test posted someplace?

I have just always preferred the oak on just blind faith in that the wiki is right and that there must have been some test done at some point on it.  I never have given it much thought but it seems to me it would be like the ships and you would hardly ever notice anything anyway.  We are so keen on it now though that if the item is not oak it becomes less valuable and sometimes not deemed as having any value to some players. It just makes me wonder how big of a difference it really does make.  

Edited by Kegan

Afaik it's been tested; though, never bothered personally. I always made mine from oak as a personal preference as an aesthetic and oaks being more rare (well they use to be).

Now cedar and maple in fletching, I have seen the behavior first hand.

EDIT for practical purposes, other wood tools are fine. Oak just has a slight bonus to dmg resistance... afaik

Edited by Klaa

Well i did a bit of a search and have found this from 2008 and it was even said back then from what i have read so far that the oak was not believed to have any advantage yet years later it is still on the wiki and now more of a fact that it does than ever. 

Granted i have not read much in the topic yet but the first few post seemed to be what i had expected..

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/5818-age-old-question-oak-and-other-woods-effects-in-crafting/

Edited by Kegan

Oh yeah in the beginning it was just a myth that even I argued against.

However at some point it supposedly was made truth.

Years ago, I casually observed my QL40 oak dummies taking markedly less damage from decay than my QL40 pine dummies, but never did try a real test until sometime last year.

http://pastebin.com/58ETHF4c

Working with tools at creation QL was the best way I found for controlling QL, so long as skill didn't go up while making the tools.  I could probably follow up by popping out mallets at the same QL, but this was good enough for me.  Seems that oak items take 20% less damage whenever they do take damage.

• Like 1

Yeah it seems someone posted patch notes so i guess it must be true somewhat anyway, lol

Edited by Kegan

I do a lot of rope making and rotate between two rare rope tools, one is oak and the other is maple. I wont go into detail about my routine, but its enough to say that it is very consistent. The oak rope tool takes quite a bit less damage than the maple rope tool when used for the exact same number of actions. It is significant enough that the oak tool lasts much longer before it needs to get sent for repairs. I haven't calculated the exact difference between the rope tools but it is enough that it is clearly noticeable. I would estimate that it probably takes more than 20% less damage over the same number of actions.

• Like 1

It makes sense logically that Oaken items would have a stronger durability. But, I'm not sure that carries over into Wogic, as they say. Personally I'm fond of cedar for storage pieces, birch for furniture and chestnut for buildings since that is the most plentiful around my deed. Probably boils down to personal preference/availability, other than cedarwood since it is known for having reduced decay rates.

Edited by Araninke

From my experience, wooden tools made of oak do suffer less damage in use than wooden tools made of other woods.

Similarly, cedar items suffer less decay over time (not less damage per use) so that's why often items like storage containers are preferred to be made of cedar.

So oak items don't have less decay rate, but they do suffer less damage per use.

• Like 1

Being oakenwood (or steel) reduces perishability of most items by 20% to 80% of what it would otherwise be (with fishing rods being an exception, as for them it's a reduction of 30% for being willowwood instead).  This stacks multiplicatively with the reduction in perishability from rarity.  This reduces damage per use tick by 20%, and for items with normal QL-based decay (There are other decay types, but it's one of the most common.) it also reduces damage per decay tick by 20%.  Cedarwood slows decay tick frequency, but does not impact damage per decay tick.

Comparing damage over multiple ticks (or multiple actions, which implies multiple use ticks) will produce inconsistent results.  If the number of ticks being compared is the same, the apparent reduction will be greater than or equal to the reduction per tick (though the exact value can vary due to the building effect of the reduction over multiple ticks).  The effective overall reduction will tend to be close to the reduction per tick for small equal numbers of ticks, but can be significantly higher for large equal numbers of ticks.  If the number of ticks is different, the result could be just about anything.  The number of use ticks in an action varies depending on the type of action and length of the action (How the number of ticks relates to the length of an action can be changed separately for different action types in updates, but should generally be consistent for an action type between two server restarts.), and most actions have an initial use tick at the start of them.

The formula for damage per decay tick from normal QL-based decay is ( Perishability / EffectiveQL ).  The formula for damage per use tick is similar, but a little more complex.  It actually contains the formula for damage per decay tick from normal QL-based decay, but multiplies and/or divides it by one or more values (determined based on the basic item type used as the tool in an action and the type of action, with creation actions for different types of items counting as different types of actions).  You can actually approximate damage from use ticks using the formula for damage from decay ticks for normal QL-based decay by providing an adjusted perishability value, though when doing so the results will tend to be a little off.

The initial use ticks on actions can be useful for isolating individual use ticks, as you can start an action and then stop it immediately to trigger a single use tick for such actions.  Equipping items in your hands and mousing over them in the "Character" window can be helpful also when studying decay and use ticks, as it lets you see the exact QL and damage for items, instead of just the rounded values that show up in inventories.  Items that show their QL and damage when examined (which will also show the exact values instead of rounded ones) can also be helpful when studying damage from decay and use, and prior to the introduction of the "Character" window those were the only items you could see exact QL and damage values for.

I actually released my decay calculator a while back.  You can use it to calculate decay patterns for various things.  It has several built-in presets for certain item types and also allows custom perishability settings.  It should work for non-PvP servers, but I haven't gotten around to testing it on PvP servers, so it may be inaccurate for them (In particular, I suspect it may be inaccurate for the Epic cluster, as there was some discussion of possibly using a different formula for effective QL there around the time of Epic's release.  A different formula for effective QL would impact the results, but I don't know if there actually is a different formula for effective QL in use on the Epic cluster or not.).  It factors in some of the material and rarity modifiers also, though my information on them is incomplete (In particular, I lack data on fantastic items, seryll, adamantine, and glimmersteel.).  I would guess based on the pattern of perishability reduction from rare and supreme items that being fantastic might reduce perishability by 27.1% to 72.9% of what it would otherwise be, but I do not have any fantastic items to test with for confirmation (Tools would be ideal, as I could determine it quickly using use ticks, but just about any item type that uses normal QL-based decay could also be used.).

Technically, you could also approximate use tick patterns with my decay calculator using custom perishability settings, but you'd have to calculate the perishability setting to use separately for each combination of basic item type and action type (and for creation actions, separately for each basic type of item being created).  It would take a ridiculous amount of time/effort to make a complete list of such settings for approximating use ticks, and an update could potentially change the settings needed later.  Additionally, the patterns calculated for use ticks this way would be expected to be a little off due to floating point rounding error.  For small numbers of use ticks, the margin of error would likely be acceptable, but it would tend to build over multiple ticks and likely be unacceptably large for large numbers of use ticks.

If you want to try my decay calculator, a link to it (and also links to some of my other tools) can be found in the following thread:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/112192-telurian-tools/

• Like 1