Sign in to follow this  
ZaZ213

Public Mumble server

As sterlingdragon has done for Release, I am hoping to do for Xanadu.I have a powerful server hosted in our datacenter and I have been running a mumble server for a bit now for other games so I am offering it to the community to use and if it works well here I have no issue with opening it to the entirety of wurm. For those of you who are not familiar, Mumble is a low latency, positional VoIP system that has very low resource usage and a good reputation for having high voice quality. You are welcome to use this server for other games all I ask is that you stick to the appropriate channels so we can keep the cross-game chatter to a minimum, if you do not have an appropriate channel, or would like your own private channel for your village or kingdom feel free to PM me, all members of the channel will need to be registered with the server for access to said private channel. CM/GMs and other community staff are welcome to help administrate the wurm sections of the server, please PM me to set up access if you like.

The software you need is here: http://www.mumble.com/mumble-download.php it is cross platform so no matter what you play on you can get connected, they're even working on a phone app

If you need help learning how to connect to the server there is a nice guide here: http://www.mumble.com/support/how-to-connect-to-a-mumble-server.php

Our server's address is play2.earf2.net (earf2.net is also the site that I run for our minecraft servers /shamelessplug )

The port is: 64738

If you want to know how to register yourself on the server, allowing you to enter private channels you have access to, you can follow this quick guide here: http://www.typefrag.com/mumble/frequently-asked-questions/#A6

Currently the server is at a max of 100 users, this is not a hard limit and can certainly be increased if the server has popularity.

Please enjoy and let me know if any of you have issues, PM is best as I get emailed for it and it generates an alert for me but you can reply here as well. Mods feel free to sticky this as you like, I appreciate it.

• Like 2

Well I joined and there is no one in here lol! Great idea though

• Like 1

Well I joined and there is no one in here lol! Great idea though

Thanks for trying, I'm hoping it will pick up in popularity as more people know about it. I should be in most of the weekend to assist people in getting their own channels etc.

I'm a mumble gal myself but since I started playing Wurm it seems that most of the ppl I've spoken with around here still prefer TS and have existing servers set up. 

I'm a mumble gal myself but since I started playing Wurm it seems that most of the ppl I've spoken with around here still prefer TS and have existing servers set up. 

Thats fine, I'm offering this as an option for people who don't want or can't spend the money to set up a larger server for their village, as well as have a centralized point of communication between villages, if wanted.

Nice of you to take the initiative though. I hope it gains more popularity.  We have a TS server for the NW Deli server and it works great and saves a ton of typing.

Thats fine, I'm offering this as an option for people who don't want or can't spend the money to set up a larger server for their village, as well as have a centralized point of communication between villages, if wanted.

Oh I didn't mean that it was a bad idea and you shouldn't  do it. It was just an observation from trying to get ppl onto our own Mumble. Personally I'd rather stick a fork in an electrical socket before having to pay for a server or use Vent and TS (unless its been severely updated since last time I tried to use it) again but each to their own. :)

Edited by KryoKitten

My son says that the latest patch causes some ppl to have trouble connecting to Mumble.  He uses it a lot on EvE.

My son says that the latest patch causes some ppl to have trouble connecting to Mumble.  He uses it a lot on EvE.

Thats interesting and its true its used tons in eve, but I haven't had an issue yet

For those who were having issues earlier connecting the murmur server did not autostart at boot and I didn't realize after I had done some maintenance, its back up now.