Sign in to follow this  
Araninke

Is It Possible? - Building Within a Hill

Before I put work into one, I figured I would ask first is this idea is even possible. I.e. dig down through a hill, build a structure of some sort, and then be able to fill over top with more dirt? Essentially having the building inside the hill. Or if not enclosed, then planned just right that the next floor would coincide with hilltop on each side enabling to continue building up with more levels. If that even makes sense.

Edited by Araninke

i guess you can dig down and do a basement type thing but it will have the gaps so it will just look like a house in a hole.  There is a very good tool you can use to test builds that has everything you need to test with that i would recommend and most of us use. 

Deedplanner..

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/79352-deedplanner-2-beta-1b-3d-house-and-deed-planner/

Thanks for the info and feedback. I'll take a look at that program as well! I have the road cut through the hill currently, with steep sides of about 75 or so. You're saying even with that there would be a gap between the building walls and the dirt wall?

Yes.  I advise you keep it grass or slab it behind you, if a tree grows on that dirt wall it will have branches poking into your building.

Aye one can make pretty steep holes depending on one's digging and mining skills; however, you will not be able to bury it, nor can one build structures currently on the underground map.

On a side note, it might be possible to use the coming bridges feature to gain entrance to such a writ from ontop of the dirt wall; however, as its not fully implemented yet... who knows.

Edited by Klaa

Darn, that's a bit disappointing. I'm also having difficulty opening the DeedPlanner program. At first I had outdated Java. So I updated that but now nothing happens when I try and open it.

Overall you can build anywhere above water as long as you can make a flat enough spot, even a 1x1 tile.

Also unfortunately buildings cannot currently exceed the width and length of their footprint or base level.

• Like 1

nope.  Can't put dirt on a structure or fence.

or even an adjoining tile

So no hobbit homes. I have always wished though for a nature-lovers alternative,  not as "square" in feeling, very warm and humble, like cob or adobe that has more gentle modest lines to it:

cob2.jpg

adobe-village-graham.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors