Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Start issuing warnings in forums

When people derail WTS and Auction posts. It might get folks to start PMing their opinions to the OP, rather than publically posting comments that are harmful to the selling process.

• Like 1

Sometimes "derailing" is required to prevent people from getting scammed badly.

• Like 18

If an item normalls sells for 100s and I post one for 150s, that is not a scam. It is likely a deal that won't close. But if someone really wants it and are willing to pay that price, to have one right now, then I and my buyer are both happy.

Does anypne here think it appropriate to plaster bit signs on the front door of a retail business, saying their prices are too high? Then why on earth do people feel the need to do that to forum merchants?

There are years of history for any would be buyer to research here. Price opinions should only be offer on PC posts.

• Like 6

It can be a bit rude if done flippantly or maliciously, but there is nothing particularly wrong with expressing an opinion on a price or good. Some one with a stall at a flea market can't rightly silence me when I interfere in their sales pitch to tell the buyer it's shoddy workmanship and a grocery store can't eject someone merely for saying the price of avacados is too high.

I will stand behind the policy, as I understand it, that just about any non-trade post made in a trade thread will be removed if the thread creator reports it.

• Like 6

Sometimes "derailing" is required to prevent people from getting scammed badly.

How is that so? I can tell you that not everyone values something the same. I sold one of the smallest deeds i ever owned for 250e to a guy. Sure it had a trader on it but the deed itself was only a 1s upkeep deed and i had never advertised it. He sent me a forum pm and asked if i wanted to sell it and i told him no but then he messages me back saying "not even for 250euro because that is what i was going to offer you" well i sold it needless to say. 

Anyway just because you think something is to high does not mean another person would think so. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

You want to issue warnings to people who are trying to warn others that a sale has issues?

• Like 2

i think this is not necessarily something mods should have to deal with....best thing to do as a seller who is affected by it, is answering calmly to such posts, like as example what you said above: "I'm simply offering a sale for a price I see fit, nothing more, nothing less, if you think, that this is a scam, you can try to report me, but in my knowledge I'm not doing anything wrong here"

and if that person starts arguing or derailing it more, even after you telling them kindly to not derail the thread further, you can still just click the report button and explain the situation to a mod.

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 3

Don't feed the trolls, simple.

Can we talk about coffee or something in this thread?

When people derail WTS and Auction posts. It might get folks to start PMing their opinions to the OP, rather than publically posting comments that are harmful to the selling process.

They are looking for new mods i hear  :)

so now the topic is new mods? can we stop derailing this poor guy's thread, about derailing other poor guys threads. :)

• Like 5

I see nothing wrong with posting comments within the Merchant section for sales, auctions, etc. of those who are selling items. Pointing out overpriced or just plain bad deals only give others something to consider in respect to the sales. Of course this can only be a problem to the seller who has priced something excessively, so I am sure they would not like to have these comments within their sales/auction threads.

If the comments made are not insulting to the seller, I think anyone should have the right to make them. Is it better to have a forum policy of squelched silence wherein the seller can make any inflated comments about their items without others being able to point out the hype? I think not.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

so now the topic is new mods? can we stop derailing this poor guy's thread, about derailing other poor guys threads. :)

I was merely offering a suggestion on how he could help fix the problem by applying to be a moderator. 

Instead ban players that use alt forum accounts to start a thread, then using other alts and main accounts to agree to what they said themself.

• Like 2

Instead ban players that use alt forum accounts to start a thread, then using other alts and main accounts to agree to what they said themself.

How does that apply here? I can see maybe other friends and alts bidding up players on auctions but not about derailing a sales thread but nothing you can do about that really. Just don't pay more then you think the item is worth. 

Edit: Well unless you think Wurmhole is an alt forum account of mine since we are the only ones so far that think derailing a sales thread is wrong it seems and that is not the case at all. 

Edited by Kegan

+1, I'm sick of guys who think they know it all, and that they know what is good for me. When I go to an expensive store, and some punk fools around "don;t buye hieere too muchos monies!", I just call the security.

• Like 1

Well to be fair most of it around here has nothing to do with price it is not liking the person that is selling the item. Just like the scale set i had not long ago and priced at a "high price" and was told that the price was bad and given a value the item should sell for. Then a few weeks later the very same guy turns around and puts his set on sale for about the same "high price" or very close to it as i had asked, lol

I guess a lot of it stems from pvp conflicts and just general jealousy i guess but it has carried over to the new players too and for them not knowing how things are around here probably take it much harder then the rest of us do when they get attacked for trying to sell something.  Like the spin wheel guy that is asking 1s for the item yet to read the post you would think he wanted your soul for it or something. Let is be if he sells it for 1s then great it is not hurting me any and the person buying was fine with it so.... 

Anyway i am moving on now have fun with it i guess. I can deal with my own postings and most of it is coming from my fan club anyways so no big deal... i love them too. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

We need more derailers to derail topics about derailing and moderators to mod the moderators...

I'm sorry I can't shut up when someone is asking 20 s buyout for a rare cauldron.

In cases like that the force is way stronger than me.

If you want to be nanny and warn people about the danger their bulging wallet is in, that is your right. However, if the people doing the transaction tell you to stay out of their business, that is their right as well. 

Don't feed the trolls, simple.

Can we talk about coffee or something in this thread?

*offers bwg a cup of chocolate silk coffee*

• Like 2

Well, if I started a trolling thread, it is not my fault.  My first deed was on Troll Mountain (Pristine) and I was raised by them.

I guess the bottom line is we just report trolling on our sales threads after the fact and hope for the best.  I've had folks tell me my prices were high before, on alts I've sold, then end up selling them within minutes, having multiple buyers to sort through.  So it is what it is.  Just been frustrated with the number of derailing posts I've been seeing lately, doing nothing but damage to the seller and providing no benefit to any potential buyers.

• Like 1

Tbh I think the only really bad thing in the Auctions forums are all the people padding their post count by giving "posting advice" in the thread instead of PMing the OP. You're not helping anyone, you only manage to look like a post hoarder while making the thread starter look sloppy. There's no reason to spam up threads with advice on how to improve the thread, just shoot the OP a PM and get it over with,

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

Games like EVE are good at keeping their WTS forum free of derailing discussion - but they still allow comments on the price if it is from potential buyers, like "The last ship of that type sold for only XXX"

Edited by Cista