Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 45

LssNW45L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

There are several sneaky things going on behind the curtains of the backstage area.

There is a steady sound of "clickety clackety" resonating in Motala.

People raise their heads in passing, wondering.

Is it a chisel hacking away at some unknown ore, steadily shaping it from an abstract into a masterpiece?

A dawn of recognition.

It is indeed Rolf and his team of coders letting their fingers dance upon their keyboards, heads bowed in deep concentration.

Or is it in respect to some mysterious machine god?

A manifestation and possession of the elusive Wurm?

Only they know.

And what this intricate dance will lead to is soon to be revealed.

But for now, let me indulge you in the things on display and

Share some News!

Bridges

RopeBridgeS.jpg

Click image for a Larger Version

We are continuing working on bridges, adding and testing functionality.

Our main points of interest currently is collision detection which of course is pivotal to the bridges implementation and functionality.

There is allot to take into consideration with many situations that make for very specific circumstances.

Also, we are working on adding the functionality for continuing work on bridges via the crafting interface.

This is proving to be a bit of a challenge though as the bridges are not as pre set in terms of how much material each piece takes to complete.

For example there is calculations taking place concerning how big a bridge support is to determine its height and with that material requirement.

So there is a need to add some further dynamic updating to the crafting interface before it will work as intended.

Sound

Sound Falloff

With the new focus on sound we have also been taking some time looking at the system behind it.

One of the most noticeable things we addressed is the sound falloff.

The distance and falloff of sound will now be more natural and the difference is mainly that it will be much shorter.

So comparatively it is much easier to judge the distance of a sound whilst at the same time limiting sound cluttering from far away sources.

Creatures

I have been testing what possibilities we have with the current systems and got some added functionality compliments of our lovely coder Haradur.

So let me tell what type of sound you can expect from creatures in the future.

First of they will have an idle sound triggered by the special idle animations so they will only be triggered sporadically.

This will only be true for non farm animals.

They will have attack sounds for the different type of attacks.

Additionally some are getting aggressive sounds which will be triggered by the fight stance that is activated when a creature spots you and give chase.

These aggressive sounds will also fill the silence in between attacks where the creature goes back into ready stance.

Updated Get hit sounds.

Updated death sounds.

New interior items live

Like I said in last weeks post the new items went live with the update.

So some of you might already have them crafted and incorporated on your deed.

Please feel free to share some screens in the comments so we can check it out!

Check out the posts from week 44 and 43 if you are unsure what has been added.

Just search your crafting recipes for their names and you will find everything you need to get crafting.

Tapestry

TapestryFiguresS.png

New decorative items heading your way once more!

These tapestries are a bit special however as they are partly meant to be pushed into walls.

This is not as weird as it sounds as they are created for this purpose and will collide with our collision detection perfectly.

Perfectly meaning when the stand holding it disappears into the wall and only reveals itself as a wall mount holding the tapestry.

Genius in its own simplicity and something that will truly lively up walls in the homes of many Wurmians humble abodes.

They will be available in 6 different motifs and you see some more of them below.

TapestryPatternS.png

Vynora and Fo God Statuette Update

VynStatuetteS.pngFoStatuetteS.png

An update to the somewhat forgotten old statuettes from the dawn of Wurm creation.

If you check out the comparison below, I think you will understand what I mean.

FoIngame.jpg

Definitely No need for a larger version

Alright Wurmians, that is all for this weeks news!

Hope you liked this update, I have as always enjoyed sharing it with you all.

I have so much anticipation for revealing some of the new things going on!

Soon there will be something revealed I am pretty sure no one expects.

Anyhow, you know what to do until next time right?

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 36

Don't forget to add in the move function on the statuettes :)

• Like 1

nice ...ok I have to hit the lottery and play wurm fulltime.

Love the tapestries!  Finally something to help break up the brick walls and add some comfort to my Wurm house!

I've been wishing for tapestries and worried about them getting lost in the wall like my first banner did. Thank you for the great addition of tapestries and for considering the collision aspect! I can't wait :)

Yay! More non bridge news reworded so it doesn't look like a cut and paste of the last 12 months progress updates. Awesome.

Hows about some fixes to the utterly broken religious domains on Xanadu instead of tapestry fluff and slightly less ugly statuettes to distract us all with?

• Like 5

Is it a chisel hacking away at some unknown ore, steadily shaping it from an abstract into a masterpiece?

Nice Bayeux tapestries. Do these maybe open the option for more wall mountes stuff like shields, weapons, armor, stuffed animals, animal heads or even unique heads (dragon anyone?)?

Edited by Bekador

New decorative items heading your way once more!

These tapestries are a bit special however as they are partly meant to be pushed into walls.

This is not as weird as it sounds as they are created for this purpose and will collide with our collision detection perfectly.

Perfectly meaning when the stand holding it disappears into the wall and only reveals itself as a wall mount holding the tapestry.

Genius in its own simplicity and something that will truly lively up walls in the homes of many Wurmians humble abodes.

Soon there will be something revealed I am pretty sure no one expects.

I just want to say that every Thursday at work during my lunch (which is about exactly the same time you post) I eat my lunch and read your news.  It is something I have grown to expect and look forward to every week.  You are doing a fine job of not only delivering updates on what the devs are doing, but you are also providing an entertaining element that is really terrific!  I also love the way you manipulate our imaginations with little handfuls of purpose dropped here and there in your posts.  

Thanks for keeping us entertained and informed!  I really do appreciate it and I know many others do as well.

• Like 13

would much prefer the time wasted on crap like tapestries was spent fixing bugs, maybe player retention would improve.

Next week: 10 new bugs but here have some hanging lamps!

• Like 1

Yay! More non bridge news reworded so it doesn't look like a cut and paste of the last 12 months progress updates. Awesome.

Hows about some fixes to the utterly broken religious domains on Xanadu instead of tapestry fluff and slightly less ugly statuettes to distract us all with?

Bitter and negative! Why are you even here?

• Like 2

Very cool!

Would love to see crafting themed tapestries, so we could place in our crafting areas.

Leatherworkers tanning leather, miners, farmers, tailors, weaponsmithing, the list goes on. :D

• Like 3

Bitter and negative! Why are you even here?

likely the same reason as many are, in the hopes that they actually fix one of the countless problems in the game instead of pushing through stupid updates that add seals and rugs

• Like 3