Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

let a compass work on moving ships

I would rather have a special higher quality type compass like they had on ships in the old days.

http://www.compassmuseum.com/nautical/nautical.htm

I like that link in particular. It clearly shows how nautical compasses have been useful for a very long time.

+1 for a nautical compass. May be a multi-skill endeavor (like so much of ship building is already). Use the current system to assemble the compass, BS or Carp for the nautical mounting system, Shipbuilding to attach.

(main point in bold for tl;dr purposes)

Maaay be overcomplicating in terms of coding, awesome as mounting the compass on the ship would be.  Specially in coding the part where embarking overrides your existing compass.  "Easy" fix to that part would be a second compass on your screen which may turn out annoying enough for one to stash the normal one in the ship's hold.... so that said... 

I'd favor the carry-on nautical compass ... now since QL would be moot as they don't fade off and we don't want people replacing real compasses with those hmmmmmm..... for one i'd say make it 5kg.. needle should be steel btw (just saying lol) .... 

Gotta activate it and rightclick your boat/ship for the "navigate" option which'll make the compass show on screen like a normal one, vanishes when you disembark, won't activate on carts and wagons (since you can just stop on those without hassle).

+1 for some form of ship only compass, Mordraug's idea is pretty good.

Seems to be the easiest direction to work such a feature in.