Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Holiday JAR files

Dear development team,

Please, make holiday .jar files separate. Much like we can select sound or experimental. Can you make it so we have the option to download and use a file that overwrites the Graphic.jar or not.

This will save you bandwidth, petitions and make some of us happier. 

Thank you,

Baloo 

and 

Disgruntled-Cub-who-is-fixing-her-install-due-to-a-bug

Edited by Baloo
  • Like 5

Lol, i was thinking the exact same things. It should be optional to have all packages downloaded (every season) to save bandwith etc.

ppl who dont have the diskspace shouldnt have to

Edited by whykillme

For Devs:

Its not so difficult have seasonal graphics inside normal jar or outside and hardcoded seasonal switch.

As said in this thread save bandwidth and less headaches.

Great suggestion Baloo! Another way to avoid these unwanted intrusions into Wurm's more stable visual environment. Heck, I would just have summer season displayed all year, as it was some years back but that is another matter, I suppose.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Uhm regular changing seasons is such a big part of Wurm it add so much on realism, and i would hate to see option to turn it off or be manipulated in anyway. But for holidays definetly should be optional because we don't all celebrate same holydays in same manner. Hollowen is not a thing in Serbia, well it's being pushed by the process of Americanisation lately but no such holiday exist in Serbian tradition, and i to be honest I kinda hate it. Ofc i respect other people that celebrate it but and i think it's nice that devs are putting  an effort to mark it but it there should be an option for people who doesn't celebrate holidays.

+1

Holiday events based on RL time-of-year should be something you can opt-out of, even though I wouldn't personally choose to.

This sounds a very neat way to make that option available.

controversial comment i know but...

i tend to think earthbound festivities have no place in wurm. Game rules dictate that we cannot discuss out-of-game religions and the like, but we're forced to endure updates for halloween, etc. contradiction in rules? ...and my poor niece is petrified of carved pumpkins and spooks. (but thinks trolls are 'cute')

personally i don't mind it all, but in the end, it would be nice to have a choice whether to display it, just like the phobia toggle in settings.

...theres nothing worse than logging out all your alts, and sitting for 5 mins to update when you really wanted to relog just one that has an embarking bug.

• Like 2

For Devs:

Its not so difficult have seasonal graphics inside normal jar or outside and hardcoded seasonal switch.

As said in this thread save bandwidth and less headaches.

Shouldn't be, but I noticed they experimented with this in the past which made my client crash repeatedly and rendered it unable to decide which seasonal pack to load. Guessing they decided to not go with that