Sign in to follow this  
KunAlt

We need a new way for fine tuning position of items.

I know a lot of people is ok with the current push/pull/rotate, but for me its just a nightmare.

We really need a new way to fine position planted stuff like lamps, furniture, etc. It doesn´t need to work in a huge radius, same as current move commands its ok, but maybe a free drag/rotate activated with a bindable set of keys, or maybe a single command that binds the object/item to the cursor, so while you are in this mode You can´t walk, and you use the scroll well in the mouse (or same keys used to glance left/right) to rotate the object, if you right click the object is planted in the cursor position, if you left click the action is canceled and the item/object reverts to the original position.

Lets discuss it.

• Like 5

How about something like this: When you stay on tile, you can click on any object near > "set position" and GUI window with grid and button "accept" appears. You can select any not taken place on grid and then accept - this triggers one minute action after which the object is moved to the correct place.

• Like 7

The placement interface would be nice (like other games EQ2 etc), but I believe that would require a serious undertaking in coding.

Alternatively, they may be able to add a new command, nudge! half a push, pull, or turn! :)

However, more commands = more menu items. :P

+1

This will be necessary if we ever get the ability to stack items on top of tables, bookcases and such. The current workaround of pull -- rotate slightly -- push into place, to move an item a fraction of a push/pull interval, is a pain.

I concu that we need something like this,even if it does have a clunky menu driven interface. What I would also like to see is the ability to raise items into the air and/or lock them in place within buildings. Adding this provides a sloppy but effective workaround to placing items on tables etc because we can raise the items to the height appropriate and lock them in midair.

Some pretty amazing art has been made in games like Ultima Online or A Tale in the Desert with that sort control.

• Like 2

How about the skyrim method - pick it up and swing it around!

• Like 1

For that you need an actual physics engine. Skyrim used Havok for instance. It would represent a significant rebuild to integrate something like that into a homespun java engine... not to mention licensing fees.

+1.

I agree, fine tuning position of items is very much needed. Like when you make two beds or several BSBs or lamps, or any items really, and you spend half an hour or longer dragging and pushing them back and forth just trying to get them to line up... And then in the end they still don't really line up no matter how much you try. Decorating would be so much easier if there wasn't that problem, so I'd definitely love to see a solution!

+1. Fine tuning the position of item is really a nightmere, push, pull, push again, pull.. nooo, push.... please, add the possibility to move freely an object in a small radius, binding it for example to the mouse. You right click on an object, select "Position" or something like that, the object sticks to mouse so you can position it and rotate it (with or without snapping) as you like, then left click to finalize action.

I think it should be easy to code, a small work for a huge improvement in functionality.

• Like 2

Friendly bump - a new way for fine tuning position of items is really needed IMO.

What about just being able to move objects like you would a cart except in front of you? Not the best solution but probably easy compared to some suggestions and would be a lot faster than the current push push push push pull push pull pull turn etc.

Since this thread already exists on the topic of fine tuning push and pull, I will post this little infographic and idea I whipped up here instead of starting a new thread.

Oh and be sure to also check out Fairyshine's post which had the same complaint.

So yeah guys. I have an idea! I am no programmer so if there are any coders out there, would they be able to say whether this is most likely feasible or not?

pushpull.jpg

Oh yeah and btw, this push pull thing has been a huge irritation of mine since I'm a decorator type, but I was finally inspired to think of a simple solution when I saw the Factional Fight brothers complaining about it too in

They were suggesting having a "nudge" action, however the problem I see in that is that you would then have two actions you need to be alternating with. Trying to imagine the situation, I think it would be much more convenient to simply walk around while spamming your push or pull key.

+1. Fine tuning the position of item is really a nightmere, push, pull, push again, pull.. nooo, push.... please, add the possibility to move freely an object in a small radius, binding it for example to the mouse. You right click on an object, select "Position" or something like that, the object sticks to mouse so you can position it and rotate it (with or without snapping) as you like, then left click to finalize action.

I think it should be easy to code, a small work for a huge improvement in functionality.

This makes it easy and uncomplicated.

Another thought is "plant" coords.  Make a 10x10 imaginary grid on the tile.  In settings you now choose your default for planting items and dropping items. For instance, for center of tile you would set to 5,5, or for the NW corner it could be 1,1.  Make a key bind for drop/plant positions.  When dropping, items with "snap" to be perfectly parallel to the edge of the tile you are closest to, to reduce the need for extra turning.  Would finally make it possible to make just 3 metal altars, rather than 30, to get them right.  Altar positioning is still the stupidest thing ever.

Yes, a way to fine tune object placement would be very helpful. This suggestion seems a good way of doing so, if possible.

=Ayes=

How about something like this: When you stay on tile, you can click on any object near > "set position" and GUI window with grid and button "accept" appears. You can select any not taken place on grid and then accept - this triggers one minute action after which the object is moved to the correct place.

I like this idea a lot. +1

Alternatively, I thought perhaps when dropping an item, it could turn your mouse pointer into a crosshair. select the spot you want to drop your item on and it goes there.

Ok, so... Not a final solution, but should be enough until there is no better way:

8QGUUzD.png

(naturally I didn't forgot about keybinds :))

• Like 2

Ok, so... Not a final solution, but should be enough until there is no better way:

8QGUUzD.png

(naturally I didn't forgot about keybinds :))

Great! is a steep in the right direction!

TYVM!