Sign in to follow this  
WojorowskiPL

About Wurm's Heavenly Spheres

Greetings fellow Wurmians! Last time, when I was sailed on my boat I looked at the sky. Valrei and Seris were within my sight and the Jackal was a few meters to the left. After a while I asked myself: I wonder if there’s any way to make a map of Wurm's Sky? Without needless thinking, I decided to spend a lot of time looking at skies. Now, I think, that I can tell you a few things that I saw:

1. Heavenly Spheres of Wurm's Solar System:

xBX49hk.png

- First, "Why do you think that there is only one planet in whole Solar System?!". It's easy. As you can... Or better: As you CAN'T see on Wurm skies is that there’s no any other planets that'll be closer to Sol than Wurm whatsoever  (I mean any single points with other colour than stars), and that should mean Wurm's Planet is the closest, or maybe even the only planet in Wurm's Solar System.

- You may think, that information above means that we have to be a pretty long way from any other Solar System. But it's wrong. If that would be the case, then we'll just be under steady meteor shower 360 days per year. And Wurm's Planet will look mostly like moon. I think that somewhere near to Sol is much bigger sun, which pulls everything to it. That's why you cannot see any shooting stars, or meteor showers.  

- "You've made a mistake! Jackal is the biggest moon, but here as I can see, Valrei is just the same size!" Nope... And yes. Jackal is the biggest one, but only from Wurm's Planet. I think that Valrei have the same size, or maybe it's even bigger, but it's just a little bit further away than Jackal is. Just perspective.

- "Why do you put frozen poles at north and south of Wurm's Planet? They are not added to game, and they aren’t shown on the map!". Yeaaaaah... But if you think so, then tell me: Did America wasn't existing before Columbus get there? ;)

2. Map of orbits in Wurm's Solar System:

2JHSX0A.png

- "I heard that Valrei can be a planet. Why do you call it moon then?" It's simple logic. If Valrei would be planet on another orbit, even really close to Wurm's Planet, then it would be visible only from one side of Wurm's Planet. I saw Valrei even at day time, a lot of times. The second thing is: Why Valrei don’t have any moons, if Wurm's Planet got two of them?

- "Earth's orbit is ellipse. You make Wurm's Planet orbit as pretty circle. Why?". Another simple thing. Sol is all the time same big. If Wurm's Planet orbit would be an ellipse,  then Sol would get bigger, and smaller. Bigger, and smaller. It doesn't happens, so I think, that orbit is just circle.

- "No one ever said, that Seris raises at east, and sets at west!" Well,  yeah. I spended a lot of time, just looking at this little white bastard, trying to see what's going on. I think, that Seris is raising near to Valrei, but a little bit more to north, and sets little bit more to south.

Of course everything in here is about KNOWNED heavenly spheres. It's very possible, that there are many others planets, but I just decided to focus on knowned heavenly spheres. Now I think about even spending a one day of every wurm's month, to see more accurate movements of planets, or maybe even find method to guide by moons in Wurm! 

Past Sol's Eclipses:

Year 1045

23'rd Digging Starfall 1045

19'th Snake Starfall 1045

15'th Fire Starfall 1045

11'th Dancer Starfall 1045

Year 1046

7'th Diamond Starfall 1046

3'rd Leaf Starfall 1046

27'th Snake Starfall 1046

23'rd Raven Starfall 1046

19'th Silent Starfall 1046 

15'th Digging Starfall

Upcoming Sol's Eclipses:

(IT SHOWS DATE OF START, NOT OF FULL ECLIPSE! FULL ECLIPSE HAPPENS AROUND 2 DAYS LATER)

Year 1047

11'th Bear Starfall

7'th Fire Starfall

3'rd Omen Starfall 

Year 1048

27'th Diamond Starfall

23'rd Leaf Starfall

19'th White Shark Starfall

15'th Dancer Starfall

Year 1049

11'th Diamond Starfall

7'th Leaf Starfall

3'rd Snake Starfall

27'th Fire Starfall

23'rd Silent

Year 1050

19'th Digging Starfall

15'th Snake Starfall

11'th Raven Starfall

So? What do you think about it? Do you have any questions, or opinions? Maybe you think, that I'd make a mistake somewhere? 

Edited by WojorowskiPL
  • Like 5

Players have considered the dynamics of the planet Wurm and its solar system in the past. And it does run on the assumption the system is a single star system with properties and similarities to our own solar system, which is no surprise given most of the RL stellar theories are derived from thus.

For example iirc the planetary tilt exhibited would in theory kill most of us.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/AstroResearch_1

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/AstroResearch_2

Granted its so old, the gfx links are broken.

Anyways... magic... and wizards did it.  ;)

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Do we know what moons eclipse each other? That way we can know which one is closest and farther one.

As someone looking to do a degree in Physics/Astronomy, I'm looking to do a big, big study of Wurm's solar system (eventually.) There's a lot more to know really :D nice work though!

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 1

Do we know what moons eclipse each other?

Well, we're sure, that Jackal eclipses Valrei sometimes and Seris eclipses Valrei.

It might be a mistake to assume a copernican model. 

Well, let me relate to Liber Quintus De revolutionibus orbium coelestium by Nicolaus Copernicus: 

Every observed change of place is caused by a motion of either the observed 

object or the observer or, of course, by an unequal displacement of each. For when 

things move with equal speed in the same direction, the motion is not perceived, as 

between the observed object and the observer, I mean It is the earth, however, 

from which the celestial ballet is beheld in its repeated performances before our 

eyes. Therefore, if any motion is ascribed to the earth, in all things outside it the 

same motion will appear, but in the opposite direction, as though they were 

moving past it. Such in particular is the daily rotation, since it seems to involve the 

entire universe except the earth and what is around it. However, if you grant that 

the heavens have no part in this motion but that the earth rotates from west to east, 

upon earnest consideration you will find that this is the actual situation concerning 

the apparent rising and setting of the sun, moon, stars and planets.

I think, that heliocentric model works here too, becauste of the mentioned above principle of relativity.

As someone looking to do a degree in Physics/Astronomy, I'm looking to do a big, big study of Wurm's solar system (eventually.) There's a lot more to know really :D nice work though!

Edited by WojorowskiPL

Wait... so the world is not flat? When have we made that discovery!?

• Like 3

I've looked over the edge and seen the turtle... :ph34r:

• Like 7

Updated, added list of upcoming Sol's Eclipses for next two Wurm's Years and seasons during them. Now I'm trying to understand how does Seris+Valrei Eclipse works and trying to make starmap, but I think, that the second thing will take longer than I've been expecting earlier.

• Like 2

I have also often wondered about and about taking the time to chart the night sky of Wurm Online. Like Docterchese, I also have a degree in Physics/Astronomy and am very interested in putting in some work towards this endeavour. A couple of things I would like to add for now:

1. The assumption that there is no other planet in the solar system seems to be based on the fact that we can't see another planet. But in real life, if you look up at the night sky, you can't really distinguish planets from stars at a glance. But planets can be distinguished from other stars because they travel differently compared to the stars. For example, it is clear that the moon is not a star because it covers different stars at different times. It is as if the stars are a background upon which the sun, moon and planets move relative to. So we should be able to spot another planet if we can find a "star" that moves differently than the rest. In other words, if we could map out some constellations, then notice that one of the stars in a constellation was not where it was before, then it may be a planet (I am guessing this is how the ancients noticed the planets). Another characteristic of planets is that they undergo retrograde motion. If we find a planet and if it is undergoing retrograde motion, then it would prove that the planet is indeed orbiting Sol and that the wurm world is also orbiting Sol.

2. I had taken a screen shot a long time ago of two of the moons undergoing an eclipse with one another. Now, looking at the picture, I can't figure out if the smaller moon is Seris or Jackal. Any ideas which it is?

rhf9AxM.jpg

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 1

I am looking through the "Give Us Your Best Screen Shots" thread and it looks like someone just recently took a screenshot similar to mine. They identified the smaller moon as Seris.

The world is actually flat, but the atmosphere is round.

The world is actually flat, but the atmosphere is round.

It just seems that way because our planet is comprised by billions of cubes held together by our heliocentric orbit. It is believed in the past that at one point our orbit had a hiccup and some cubes separated but not enough to lose planet mass but enough to cause some to appear as floating. These following cave paintings seem to substantiate this data.

Paintings found on Elevation.

ZGCyYuw.png

Paintings found on Deliverance even depict some early life forms.

87u5otT.png

This one suggests more advanced races maybe out there

RbPLxC0.png

• Like 1

i wonder if we will ever be able to go to those celestials and colonize them.

maybe through some random portal malfunction event or something, until another portal is built on whichever one one might end up on due to the malfunction/ interference so that there would be a way there and back.

but that is probably a whole different world/ story.

Edited by Wizlawz

I would just like to say that Sol is the wrong colour. If it was really white and that diameter in the sky, the planet Wurm would be molten.

To be that diameter it needs to be yellow or more likely orange or red.

I'd be interested in reading a more up to date study of the planets and stars along the lines of the old wiki articles, always liked reading those ones.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in reading a more up to date study of the planets and stars along the lines of the old wiki articles, always liked reading those ones.

We (a small group of astrophysicists) are currently running an extensive research program, covering many topics starting with basic metrics (scales and angles) and fundamental Wurm astronomy and (hopefully) leading to a consistent understanding of the celestial mechanics of the Wurm universe. The results will be published on the forums and on Wurmpedia.

• Like 1

It just seems that way because our planet is comprised by billions of cubes held together by our heliocentric orbit. It is believed in the past that at one point our orbit had a hiccup and some cubes separated but not enough to lose planet mass but enough to cause some to appear as floating. These following cave paintings seem to substantiate this data.

Then, how could I fall off the world when I traveled to the end of it? :)

This is a very cool project. I have been tracking the Wurm skies for quite some time now and have a rudimentary understanding of it, but would love to know more.

Very busy with RL right now, but as soon as it loosens up, I'll join you and take on a research project along this line.

• Like 1

This is a very cool project. I have been tracking the Wurm skies for quite some time now and have a rudimentary understanding of it, but would love to know more.

Very busy with RL right now, but as soon as it loosens up, I'll join you and take on a research project along this line.

Just send me a short note whenever you are ready, and I'll add you to our private discussion group.

After seeing a near eclipse of Sol and Jackyl on Saturday morning while Sol was setting, I was gobsmacked when observed a perfect total eclipse of them on Sunday afternoon while Sol was rising. My wife was sailing at the time and captured a wonderful picture of the event and posted it in the screenshot thread. In announcing it on server chat, I talked with others that are equally fascinated by the beauty of this amazing feature. I believe the wurmiverse is one of the most fascinating and under-rated features of wurm. I constantly find myself stopping and staring in total awe at the moons as they path across the sky. I've spent hours chasing them across the server, trying to get the best view as they tease a dance of eclipse. My screenshot folder is packed with memories. For me, they provide a feeling that the wurmiverse is alive and breathing.

These events led me to begin searching for more information, and so I found this thread and also this site : https://sites.google.com/site/universityofwurmatrelease/wurm-astronomy

A huge thank you to all involved! Your knowledge and precise observations absolutely blew me away. As a complete novice observer, is there any basic help you can provide to myself and other moon gazers? Is there a basic formula to predict when the eclipses will occur? For example, the info on the University page says that Jackyl is on an 80 day period. Does that indicate that in 80 wurm days, the eclipse will occur again in the same location? Is there any current listing of future eclipses between the moons? Any information that can be provided would be *extremely* appreciated.

Thank you for your time spent researching, your time reading, and any information you can provide! Have an awesome day!

• Like 4

often wondered myself.. u need the dev's to make tools so you can measure the longitude and latitude.  the biggest question is there a north star

( or equivalent )  there is a game on steam called sail wind that shows hows it is done. the dev's could get alot from this game. However, unless the world dynamic is already in the game i doubt they could implement this without a core re write. dev's ! Is this a thing or is random square digging all we can really now expect?