Sign in to follow this  
KryoKitten

KoS System on Freedom Servers

I did a search of the forums turned up nothing on the subject, so here I am. It was either here or suggestions and I thought this might belong here feel free to move.  I have only ever put someone on KoS twice, there was a 3rd time that I wanted to but he sliced through an alliance members deeds multiple Templars quickly so I found it pointless.

I currently have one GT and one Templar. The person I put on last night apparently has high FS as they "bragged" that they don't mind cutting through my guards when they want to pass through my deed (deed will have to get fenced off after I finish terraforming). Several griefers I have encountered since I started playing are older players with higher skill sets, most times it amounts to nothing as I keep my deed/writs locked down but when it is an issue due to server bugs or whatever I should be able to feel pretty confident that a KoS will prevent a known problem player from messing with my area.  

My understanding is that on Freedom players get a 3 minute warning before the Templar and Guards attack the player if still on deed. What I want to know is why players with higher end FS can plow through them like butter.  I understand beating down non-geared guards but the Templar should be able to give high FS players more of a challenge. I am guessing this is due to game mechanics as Templars are limited on bashing Champs and other high end mobs.  

TLDR: What's the point of being able to KoS if it's only good for low FS people?  Is this something that the settings can be tweaked on by Dev's if it's not operating as intended?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

It'd be nice for templars to actually represent a valid threat on freedom. Being on KOS might then mean something. As it is now, they take a few respawns to even take down an aged troll. I've seen them die to a lava spider before.

I heard they are stronger on the PVP servers. If that's the case, then 1) why only there? 2) lol if you can seperate templar code for the PVP/PVE split then give us our fast tower guards back and let the PVP have the lazy ones. 

For a laugh/test one of my alliance members put me on KOS, and I felt somewhat guilty about how fast I took down the templar - we also couldn't figure out a way to trigger the guard towers on me as I had assumed they'd just join in. How does that bit work?

• Like 1

I was KOS'd once with a new(ish) Xanadu character. i had around 40fs and an LT large maul and i plowed through a tower worth of guards and a templar with little trouble.

I heard they are stronger on the PVP servers. If that's the case, then 1) why only there? 2) lol if you can seperate templar code for the PVP/PVE split then give us our fast tower guards back and let the PVP have the lazy ones. 

For a laugh/test one of my alliance members put me on KOS, and I felt somewhat guilty about how fast I took down the templar - we also couldn't figure out a way to trigger the guard towers on me as I had assumed they'd just join in. How does that bit work?

A guard tower will only react to KOS if it is on deed and has a Templar to lead the tower guards.

If the guard tower is on deed, and there is a templar present, then tower guards will join in.

get more guards?

More guards against high lvl mobs sure. But not everyone can afford the cost of having more than one Templar and shouldn't have to in order to deal with problematic players. 

Edit: If you read my first paragraph more templars didn't do a thing for my alliance member in the past, and we are talking like 6 of them.

If the guard tower is on deed, and there is a templar present, then tower guards will join in.

In my case there is a GT on deed (ungeared which I should probably fix) but I expect them to be taken down by someone with high FS. It seems to me that their function is more to protect against mobs and that they are just a nice little bonus to the KoS system if on deed. 

Edited by KryoKitten

KOS is pointless on freedom. They cant pick up items on your deed, they cant destroy buildings on your deed. If you put a locked fence around your deed, they cant even enter it. Theres no reason for KOS.

• Like 3

I've got to agree with Judicator. With templars being so weak and the other protections available being absolute, it is far easier (and cheaper for you) to just limit access to all or at least parts of your deed.

Allow KoS to grant the player the ability to Attack the intruder as long as the Templar is engaged. This would help if it was someone trolling the deed by camping out and killing the Templar over and over, and hard to abuse because you can't attack them off deed/ without a templar

• Like 6

I can take 3 templars easily and I'm not particularly amazing (70fs). KOS is just a deterrent, and is still no substitute for proper deed settings that stop people griefing and taking stuff. Guard towers would help too and are free so long as you don't mind making them.

What situations cause this to not function?

On the for-fun KOS we did, he had 4 towers on deed, 50ql+. I figured it would be a fun fight, as I assumed they'd all aggro me. They just stood there while I butchered the templar. I even had the mayor try calling the guards on me while I stood fighting the templar at one tower when he respawned, and that didn't work either.

If players are truly griefing your deed, call a GM. If a GM wont do anything, they're not griefing and you're just being antisocial.

People keep saying, permissions, hire more templars etc. The intention of my thread is to figure out if the KoS system on Freedom is broken and if not why do we even have KoS if it doesn't function in a proper manner?  

Not broken far as I know.

As was said, KOS is more a deterrent than anything. If you want it to be a complete block then wall off your deed, or get more templars.

I wouldn't call it a deterrent when people know they can just slaughter right through them. I don't say this with any condescension or anger.  Thank you all for the replies! 

Edited by KryoKitten

KOS is pointless on freedom. They cant pick up items on your deed, they cant destroy buildings on your deed. If you put a locked fence around your deed, they cant even enter it. Theres no reason for KOS.

Come on down to my area and I'll show you what can happen in perimeter. People can dig death ditches, mine glitchy holes, cut all the trees, cover long-existing one-lane paths, fill bays with dirt, kill animals in that last square you can't deed due to perimeter restriction, etc.

Personally I think KoS shouldn't work on roads or highways; if a person stays totally on the road and just passes through without digging to the sides/bashing/dumping dirt/building fences/cutting trees, it shouldn't even kick in. That way the "do not KoS on highways" rule would be unnecessary. A person minding their business wouldn't even know they were KoSed (unless they received a server message). KoS shouldn't mean "I want to kill you;" it should mean "Stop messing with my area," or "We're aware of the theft/griefing you've done on the server." A lot of fights would be avoided if it didn't work on roads.

• Like 1

guard tower could also be in perimeter....  templar normaly follow you till you are not out of deed....   guards min 50 tiles away from tower....

also perimeter is not yours... deed it or loose it...  

Edited by RockyBalboa

Allow KoS to grant the player the ability to Attack the intruder as long as the Templar is engaged. This would help if it was someone trolling the deed by camping out and killing the Templar over and over, and hard to abuse because you can't attack them off deed/ without a templar

The better way is put mechanics of home servers from Epic to freedom. This is the best solution. There is no griefers ;)

Greetings 4 all

What situations cause this to not function?

On the for-fun KOS we did, he had 4 towers on deed, 50ql+. I figured it would be a fun fight, as I assumed they'd all aggro me. They just stood there while I butchered the templar. I even had the mayor try calling the guards on me while I stood fighting the templar at one tower when he respawned, and that didn't work either.

If you have four guard towers and each is 50 tiles apart,  and you were fighting a templar in the middle of them, you were probably out of range (20tiles) of all four towerrs. 

If you have four guard towers and each is 50 tiles apart,  and you were fighting a templar in the middle of them, you were probably out of range (20tiles) of all four towerrs. 

Yep, but I did specify I was standing at a tower. =)

They at no point joined in when I was standing right next to a tower, ondeed, fighting the templar.

Either buggy, or not working as people think it does. Either way, not good.

Yep, but I did specify I was standing at a tower. =) 

Clearly you were too close =)

(that's a joke)

There is always another option - move to Chaos.

Then you are free to make bounce pits, plant traps, hire guards, attack the other person, etc - with no GMs being called.  You can protect yourself there.

• Like 2

There is always another option - move to Chaos.

Then you are free to make bounce pits, plant traps, hire guards, attack the other person, etc - with no GMs being called.  You can protect yourself there.

That's a wonderfully constructive opinion within a thread where even the title is specifically addressing Freedom. TYVM. =P