Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Freedom hunting server

I'm aware this has been suggested before. Please feel free to link old threads here, and like OP to vote for this on principle.

My take on this:

A small (Chaos-sized) PvE server below Chaos itself. Maybe reinstate the server-name 'Wild'.

• No player-made deeds or writs enabled. I'm guessing people will still be willing to build pens and breed riding horses here without the benefit of deeds as they can ship high-QL materials in.
  • Guard towers enabled.
  • Valrei creature spawns enabled.
  • Respawn town inaccessible from tutorial, and on the east-coast. GM/built-in terraforming for docks, to negate the need for players to modify the landscape.
  • No trader in starter town.

This would allow spawnable-PvE to remain a non-Valrei creature area, whilst allowing strict PvE players a chance to use their high FS in a PvE environment and get Valrei creature drops.

If terraforming is disabled on this server, veins and tile-collapses should be disabled but there should be cave-systems to explore.

I would like to see this taken one step further, and have the landscape frozen. No packing of steppe or grasslands, no spreading of marsh or trees. This may mean no roads, harvest-seasons, sprouts or flower picking.

Basically you could interact with creatures, but not with the landscape beyond being able to build a few fences that would rot over time.

The respawn town could provide an Inn for those who want to sleep there, so they can tend penned creatures, and ovens for reheating meals (bring your own woodscrap). As there would be no other beds available on-server, there shouldn't be a problem with spawn-town minimum bed rents. Altars for priests, and an Epic portal are standard features. Players can build market-stalls for placing their merchants in perimeter. Spirit Templars may need a buff on this server, or the whole place could get levelled by angry mobs slaughtering player-respawns or trying to bash down their hiding place.

• Like 1

i woul never use it,but if it means they will change the insany mob population on freedom servers back to normal,or even remove hell mobs on other freedom servers to make it easier for new players.

• Like 1

or even remove hell mobs on other freedom servers

that would be horrible ... the hell scorps are the only "challenging" mobs on Xanadu ... never saw any trolls around our deed and every mob can kill a newby so who cares (at least hell mobs don't torture them but kill them fast without pain .p)

Edited by Calimdor

or rather weak mobs around newbie spawn and the further away the harder they get

About servers, aren't they currently just too many? Like if someone would take their time for example to sail to Cele, that isn't populated that much, you could easily get from 1-50fs in few days, except lately community is organising hunts, and on any other low populated server there could be something still to hunt.

Edited by necromancer
  • Like 4

Not really a fan of servers where inhabitants are "artificially-restricted" (yeah yeah its all ones and zeroes), now if some severe condition existed on the server such as freezing cold or arid desert... that would be fine imho.

I really would like a server that provides a wilderness survival feeling, but I don't think the usual suggestions of a hunting server fit. Thus -1 from me.

I'm patiently waiting for a server where terraforming is disabled or very, very severely restricted and building is made more difficult. Also no mail on this server and only brand-new characters can join. No connection to the other servers. And yes, please with Valrei mobs.

Okay, there's no chance for that sort of server anyway, but I can dream. :)

• Like 1

Really if you think about this is not needed, the only think we need right now is fixing the spawn rates on old servers.

I live in the desert @Cele, and is a low pop area, like a month ago or so the spawns where enjoyable, all kind of creatures free roaming, lots of potential for hunters, then after they announced the spawn fixing on Xana things stop spawning, there is even several spawners in the area but nothing spawns.

Fix the spawns on old servers and you have plenty of places to hunt.

• Like 3

Spawns are fine only while added by dev's after the restart manually. It's enjoyable untill they all are killed. Then its the same again

Fix the spawns on old servers and you have plenty of places to hunt.

+1 a server with no houses or anything, clean server with mobs and mobs only.
There should be symbols on server maps showing the strength of mobs in various regions, so that if someone wants to find trolls, they can find them by just looking at the server map. Similarly symbols for mobs.

Xanadu has at least two good hunting servers already... Release and Pristine. There are mobs everywhere.

so you want to put this server south of Chaos, thus if PvE players wish to hunt there they must first go through a PvP server? Chaos sized also isn't exactly small, small would probably be something like Deliverance. I'd also not allow the construction of fences, mine doors, forges/ovens, carts, etc. Make it a real survival server where you've got to use a campfire, etc.

Though I'd rather just see them fix the spawns on existing servers and equalize creature density between them all. Combat isn't all that interesting either, so I'd rather see them improve that too.

I really would like a server that provides a wilderness survival feeling, but I don't think the usual suggestions of a hunting server fit. Thus -1 from me.

I'm patiently waiting for a server where terraforming is disabled or very, very severely restricted and building is made more difficult. Also no mail on this server and only brand-new characters can join. No connection to the other servers. And yes, please with Valrei mobs.

Okay, there's no chance for that sort of server anyway, but I can dream. :)

I like your dream ^_^

so you want to put this server south of Chaos, thus if PvE players wish to hunt there they must first go through a PvP server?

No-no, of course not. I meant merely below Chaos on the World map.

I live on Pristine and I have no reason to travel all that way as I don't want to play PvP, but I'd happily travel across the whole of Freedom to go on a hunting adventure. It just seemed a convenient space to put it, and loosely grouping it with Chaos as a category seemed sensible.

I'm not even sure I'd support direct travel between Chaos and a PvE hunting server. It's easy enough for PvPers to border-hop a couple of servers, and I don't want people to worry about ending up in PvP territory by mistake.

I used to support this suggestion due to the over population (and over hording) on the past servers, but I see this being entirely unnecessary now that we have Xanadu.

How about temporary Instance Server that you teleport to via a Portal, once per day event to slay monsters.

A new random generated small island map, once per day, and everyone can portal in to PVE in groups.

And if the map is full cleared, or any scenario quest is completed, a Unique Boss will spawn at the end.

After 2 hours the map is deleted at dusk, and everyone gets teleported back to their main server portal.

I also picture myself it to be The Island of Giants, or Land of the Beasts, where the normal wurm monsters are humoungus biggus increased in SIZE

Edited by Tissotx
  • Like 1

I used to support this suggestion due to the over population (and over hording) on the past servers, but I see this being entirely unnecessary now that we have Xanadu.

I would agree this isn't a pressing issue right now. But there is a difference between new land being throw open for development and a national park. In terms of tiles per head of population, Xanadu decreased the pressure on Freedom a lot, and for the foreseeable future we don't need it in terms of normal hunting opportunities.

But I wouldn't make any bets that now that people have got space, that that space won't fill up to capacity as it has done in the past. Especially since people much prefer green-field sites to brown-field sites, and yet are not willing to give up the time and investment on non-Xanadu deeds, so the other servers will remain deed-crowded if not people-crowded.

It's really a question of infrastructure. Do we want a true hunting preserve that will always be available, and could support creatures more challenging than we would want on newbie-spawn maps to give people with high fighting skill something to feel enthusiastic about, or not ?

How about temporary Instance Server that you teleport to via a Portal, once per day event to slay monsters.

A new random generated small island map, once per day, and everyone can portal in to PVE in groups.

And if the map is full cleared, or any scenario quest is completed, a Unique Boss will spawn at the end.

After 2 hours the map is deleted at dusk, and everyone gets teleported back to their main server portal.

I also picture myself it to be The Island of Giants, or Land of the Beasts, where the normal wurm monsters are humoungus biggus increased in SIZE

It's a nice idea that the map would reset based on player actions.

Not sure about portalling, since that's accepted as an account switch mechanism (Freedom/Epic) but I can see why you've included it since with such a small opportunity window, you couldn't expect people to safely clear out in time.

I personally find it has a little too many overtones of a mini-game, rather than being a cohesive part of Freedom.

However, I do think the concept has great merit. I would support enormously a PvE version of the Battle of the Deities, including map resets, on a dedicated server. Valrei is already a mini-game within Wurm, and it would be nice to give it more scope and influence on PvE lives, and overhaul it somewhat for PvP also.

In terms of huge critters, why not a high population of Champion/Greenish size/strength creatures amongst the normal animals ?

For the Unique Boss idea, how about a Champion Avatar of Fo/Vyn/Mag spawn ? Kill that mob and trigger server reset in 24 hours coundown ? Or spawn all 3 and Followers/Priests can only attack a deity not their own. When 2 champ-avatars die, the map resets to a style reflecting the surviving deity's avatar.

More lava tiles and lava creatures for Magranon's victory. +gorrilla spawn

More sharks and sea-serpents for Vynora's victory. +anaconda spawn

More thick forests to hunt in upon Fo's victory. +boar spawn