Sign in to follow this  
Aryon

Black Dragon Hatchling 22D

The dragon has been grabbed by a third party and penned on a deed. There is nothing we can do now but thank the jerks who did it. sigh.

well this saddens me, as i beleived the return of the uniques was to give many of us new players a chance to accumulate loot from dragons and other uniques ,amid patience and dedication to a gawd awful high number of slayings needed, a chance to make our own dragon hide/scale armor sets.  I gleefuly jumped at the chance to attend as many as i could.  Now, the spawn of uniques has once agains become a private affair leaving chance to such prized loot only to a few just as it was before.

public slayings with 40 fighters and 65+alts in local was not the answer yet surely privatizing slayings to a select and self annointed privileged few is not the answer either...

wonder if there is a solution..before there was hope to participate and partake in the prized loot too. moreover..next to impalong..it's one of the few times many of us get together in fellowship to do something in an organized goal setting..it's one of those wonderful parts of wurm

• Like 1

well this saddens me, as i beleived the return of the uniques was to give many of us new players a chance to accumulate loot from dragons and other uniques ,amid patience and dedication to a gawd awful high number of slayings needed, a chance to make our own dragon hide/scale armor sets.  I gleefuly jumped at the chance to attend as many as i could.  Now, the spawn of uniques has once agains become a private affair leaving chance to such prized loot only to a few just as it was before.

public slayings with 40 fighters and 65+alts in local was not the answer yet surely privatizing slayings to a select and self annointed privileged few is not the answer either...

wonder if there is a solution..before there was hope to participate and partake in the prized loot too. moreover..next to impalong..it's one of the few times many of us get together in fellowship to do something in an organized goal setting..it's one of those wonderful parts of wurm

thats the first private one since the respawns on both, Release and Pristine I believe. 

I think you are a bit quick here to say it's all just private now. Just wait and see what happens.

thats the first private one since the respawns on both, Release and Pristine I believe. 

I think you are a bit quick here to say it's all just private now. Just wait and see what happens.

i'm speaking for all servers.  pristine and release has has a long and gracious pattern of making them public.  Perhaps i should have been more clear.

there has been a sweeping trend to create private kill groups across most servers or locals only.  Pristine and release have been the exception.  this is just  an over arching observation.   having attended a good number of them on freedom servers and have many change to the format i have mentioned ie supra,  is just what it has changed to for most and we all know the motivating factor.  so i don't belive i'm rushing to any conclusions..its been happening

Edited by Greasygrundle

i'm speaking for all servers.  pristine and release has has a long and gracious pattern of making them public.  Perhaps i should have been more clear.

there has been a sweeping trend to create private kill groups across most servers or locals only.  Pristine and release have been the exception.  this is just  an over arching observation.   having attended a good number of them on freedom servers and have many go to the format i suggested is just what it has changed to for most and we all know the motivating factor.  so i don't belive i'm rushing to any conclusions..its been happening

alright then ;)

I agree with other server, majority there is private I think. It doesn't bother me at all. It wouldn't bother me if one on my server would be private. It is nice to make them public but not the only way IMO. Let people do what they want to. You'll get a hit on many uniques in the future anyways because it's always public somewhere :P

Edited by Capi

Well my definition of public is not telling a few friends and alliance about it, then 30min prior to hunt telling your server there will be a hunt happening.  That's private IMO.  Which is exactly how the last few on Release and Pristine happened.  I know on Pristine they announced it would happen and we had a boat full of people going over from release, they attacked the dragon before we arrived purposely to keep it local.  Entire pristine group wiped then everyone disbanded.  The time before on Release they didn't even announce it to the server until right before the hunt.  So its going exactly like Greasy said.

Then recently with the ROS cast that was sniped the night before on Xanadu.  A sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Both wouldn't even be a problem if for 2 things.  1) These events all were announced/organized in forums, but people purposely sniped them prior to the advertised plan.  and 2) The devs need to have way more of these opportunities more often.  Its ridiculous we have to wait so long between anything interesting to happen.  There should be multiple dragons alive plus other high end stuff all the time, like other games will have.  If there were many high end monsters to choose, I doubt people would even have a problem from occasional local kills that people would do.

• Like 1

i have held the past 2 dragon fights on release, the ones that may be know as the "private" release killings.  They were not private invite but i would tell 5 people to bring 4 people they know and any fo priest that could make it.  But seeing as i have left to enjoy the chaos life and this Dragon drama is uprising really makes me sad how release was once again targeted.

• Like 1

Public slayings with over a hundred people? Hardly worth bothering with tbh, I am all for including people but as far as I can tell the last few release ones were mainly done with the intention of keeping it known by releasians only. I stopped heading to fights because you would get there, try and land a hit and then just retreat back again. It is less a community event but more a lot of effort for a bit of hide and some blood.

Public slayings with over a hundred people? Hardly worth bothering with tbh, I am all for including people but as far as I can tell the last few release ones were mainly done with the intention of keeping it known by releasians only. I stopped heading to fights because you would get there, try and land a hit and then just retreat back again. It is less a community event but more a lot of effort for a bit of hide and some blood.

This. 

Ought to remove the blood and hide for everyone in local, and have it awarded to the people that actually kill it. It's just a zerg in the current state, no player-skill is required at all. It just adds another layer of pointlessness to the PVE aspect.

I'd much rather be part of a team of 10-15 people instead of a crowd of every guy with a weapon on the server, with 5 alts each in local to scrape together more than 0.005 hide out of the fight.

Edited by Delakar

Unique fights, the loot, and the bystanders is very similar to the endless trader debate.  No matter how you change it, someone's unhappy.   Haves and have-nots.

More loot for the fighters?  You'd better get used to private groups killing them for you.

No loot for the locals?  That'll sit well.

More rare bones?  Sure, lets drop the value of one of the most special items in the game... /endsarcasm

Change the bosses to require more people?  OK, but that's not always an option for low population servers.

I think, since they know they can't please everyone, the devs aren't bothering to try.  Just like all the forum theories about traders being stealth nerfed. 

Me personally?  I'd love to have a drake set.  Who wouldn't?  All the slayings happen while I'm asleep, so if I attend 10% of the fights, I'll have enough of one color in about what... ten years? 

just fixing penning so they really can't be penned would be an excellent start.

• Like 2

Well penning has been my way of holding them till the fight, its just very expensive with the cost of a shaker orb, the deed, and the time needed to pen it just for it to be killed. As panda said, even making it so they can enter caves would be a start but it would make it hard to get a working group ready.

• Like 1

Everything is a trade off any way.  The people who could not care two hoots about killing dragons, and who would prefer to stay on their deeds and have a peaceful existence, now have to wonder about dragons because in the past some other people penned dragons and then other people who wanted to kill these dragons, got upset.  A huge drama enfolded on forums to the point where dragons were changed so they can now bash walls and basically enter even locked houses on deeds, of course, so people could no longer pen them and harvest their eggs or kill them privately.  Remember that if a dragon destroys your deed, no amount of spirits or tower guards will  protect you or your deed, as spirits and tower guards do not attack dragons.  So now the group who does not want to have anything to do with dragons, and pay for a protected deed with a paid for spirit or three, are not protected any more.  This shows how changing one thing to accommodate people can hurt others and influence game play for many.  

I used to think the uniques were a terrible idea, then the new system of respanws came and people held public hunts. Seemed like such a fantastic community event and I never saw problems, other than it gets laggy.  But every big gathering is laggy in wurm, so we just deal with it as always.

Loot?  Yes, loot is fun, but it was more fun being part of something big - much like an impalong.  Those are big, lots of people, lots of lag.  Worth it!

Taking them private is certainly allowed, but it isn't going to win friends or respect on your server.  If the best loot and most silver is your only goal, then pen your uniques and enjoy being lonely.

I hold the belief that rare and wonderful things are meant to be shared.  Otherwise, what is the point?

• Like 11