With the recent mention of bird cages I thought it would be nice if we could go a step further - Aviaries. My deed is near the steppe and there are plenty of hawks flying around and I can hear owls in the forest. But at the moment they are merely scenery. How about making them collectible animals such as the cows and horses? We would of course need to be able to keep them somewhere and that's where the aviary would come in. They would have their own skill lines of course. They could produce feathers to use in arrow fletching or down creation, even blankets or clothing perhaps.

What do you think?

Think I explained the point. What's the point of cows and horses, etc? Another venue for us to practice animal husbandry. I personally like birds and would much rather enjoy raising and breeding them in game. If they have to have a purpose... maybe they could be trained to carry mail? Or sent out to discover optimal places to set up a deed? Just thinking out loud here and dreaming big, lol.

birds only, can take chickens pheasants hawks owls DUCKS (also helps the chicken farmers keep their hens safe from rooster-poachers)  

if more than 2 per tile then birds need very frequent grooming as they are more suspectible to dying from disease. Predator birds will eat the others if hungry enough.

birds are caught by use of LEATHER SNARES, each bird type has a favored bait (corn=chicken, rye=pheasant, barley=duck, fish=hawk, raw hearts=owls) though you have a lesser chance to catch one not of the "right" bait type

tamed owls can hunt at night, tamed hawls by day,  and try to collect dead snakes, pheasants, rats. Hunting at the wrong time of day for that bird will get a "tamed X gives you a quizzical look and pecks at your X" usually hand but maybe not always

oh you probably SHOULD wear leather or studded gauntlets when handling these ^_^ though not required

file_25_1_1web.jpg

are these sturdy outdoor wood or elegant indoor matalwork,  matching the upcoming bird cages just larger?  Might also be an  interesting new use for tin, brass, bronze, silver & gold (jewelcraft skill to make?)

I am extremely curious to see where they plan to go with the bird cages, especially if some birds sing or can be taught to mimic emotes such as greet, insult, tease, flirt, curse  to random players who enter their range

(there is probably some audio filter they can use on current emote voices to give them a slightly "mimic" tone)

A-Chorus-Of-Song-Birds-In-An-Aviary.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Any mob that actually flies would be nice, not to mention domesticated varieties. Dont even see flying GMs much these days sadly... *polishes his longbow*

Also hawking/falconry for that matter.

EDIT: Perhaps even a special flying unique that only lands once in a while around volcanoes. A baby phoenix.

how-to-draw-a-baby-phoenix-phoenix-bird_

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

If this suggestion includes loading them into the cage and having the server no longer count them to the creature count, yes.

I think Falconry would be cool as well. Yet another skill line to become proficient in.

+1 to basically all the ideas in this thread.

I think aviaries would be a really cool addition to the game, and being able to have a tamed owl or hawk would be just as cool too! Especially if the tamed bird could go off flying from time to time (like the hunting Brand_Endeavors suggested for example); I can just imagine looking up at the sky and seeing my tamed bird flying around somewhere up there. It would be even cooler if we would also be able to call it back, so it would come back to us on command.

• Like 1