Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Committee Appreciation Thread: Part Two - The Lulling

Didnt we get bl home server reset directly thanks to the committee?

Theres being done no doubt, but not all of it is super visual and most of it never gets credit where credit due.

Didnt we get bl home server reset directly thanks to the committee?

Source?

THE COMMITTEE

Oh that is just screaming for cracks about shadow governments and conspiracies... however I shall restrain myself and be nice  :P

coughrolfwhispererscough

If we're talking about the suggestions committee, I can confirm that it exists and actively refines suggestions so that they are feasible for implementation.

This is the first time in recent history that I have read a statement from a reliable source that this "secret" committee even exists. Being that no other information concerning it has been released, there is no way to comment about it in terms of the OP's inquiries. It is all just a free-for-all of conjectures according to one's own personal way of thinking.

A few suggestions presented would let the members retain their anonymity and yet give the player base some insight into what this committee was actually doing. Until then, I have absolutely no idea of any suggestions that they have reviewed in a positive manner or otherwise and the associated end results.

If this committee is serving the Dev's well in some respects, I will just have to settle for that.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

True Xandra...  ability to view what been pushed to devs and how they been pushed will be nice instead secret cult that control how the game run while also playing it-- which means accidentally or not, there will be biases, especially if it even goes with pvp suggestions. Don't care with their identities, if we can see theirs work, we can call out what missing and devs who know these anonymous committee will be able to take action if the committee slack or being biased. 

• Like 1

By questioning his intel about the committee you're confirming that you yourself know something about it

• Like 2

On a partly related note, I have been thinking about helping to establish an independent but structured suggestions group (not affiliated with the Wurm team) but I was unsure what kind of interest there would be in something like that. This suggestions group could work as a unit to put together suggestions using properly evidenced reasoning and "publish" them to the Suggestions forum. It would be different from the main suggestions forum because it would be far more structured. I personally could care less about putting forward my own ideas, but in facilitating others to have a structured debate and conclusions about theirs.

Making the suggestions public just ensure that the public get outraged. 

If the compilation of suggestions are well thought out, and genuinely beneficial, you might as well directly PM them to someone in power rather than let the rabid -1 crowd tear into the post without consideration. 

I'd be surprised if there wasn't the obligatory NDA attached.

I wouldn't...

Besides what does a NDA do. "I promiss i won't tell" is the phrase that starts the spreading of any secret.

A Secret committee that has no accountability is not a positive thing. Wurm has too much of a history with players with influence having severe negative impact in the game by persuading changes that are only of advantage to themselves and their clique.

What we need is when the committee tweaks a suggestion players, specially the ones that suggested it should have some feedback.

Second yeah, even if we don't know the names we should at least be made aware of the composition of said committee (servers and kingdoms of the members in it).

Finally if you don't want any blow-back associated with the job, don't do it.

• Like 1

Wasnt that disbanded a month after it was created because they were terrible?

it was more like

we said no to a huge change, we got told we didnt know what we were talking about, they did it anyway, it was massively disliked and was later reverted, we stopped commenting on anything,

Edited by Propheteer

One of the greatest presidents of my country once said : If you want to get nothing done, form a comitee.

• Like 3

it was more like

we said no to a huge change, we got told we didnt know what we were talking about, they did it anyway, it was massively disliked and was later reverted, we stopped commenting on anything,

Mind explaining that story please?

I didn't knew of that one and I would like to know more.

it was more like

Lol. Classic Code Club

Well, objectively, how do we know that even those people on the committee have not been restricted from telling even close friends? I'd wager those on said committee realize the gravity of such a position and understand to keep it to themselves. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Im pretty sure staff is told not to discuss what goes on behind staff only boards either but many know this isn't always the case.

Wurm staff are players first before staff, they have bonds formed with players that run deeper then their connections to the game as a staff member.

As far as an Obligatory NDA all I can say is... lol? 

New art guy has leaked images to the facepunch forums of upcoming models and such for awhile. Want to see some the artifacts before they get in or other changes? Head over to their latest wurm invasion thread, and don't say it's not him. He posts a screenshot of a message between him and wox + his name and intro... Then he just posted under his "new forum account" and just so happens to be using the same name from facepunch. I was born at night (well at like 3am but it was dark) but it wasn't last night.

So .. yeah. lol

Edit: For the "accusation against asXas" see: http://lab.facepunch.com/thread/1398888/29/ for where he showed off a change to pile for axe trap as well as the artifacts before they were changed: ;http://lab.facepunch.com/thread/1398888/26/

Not gonna dig time for any more but Im sure you guys get the point. 

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 2

Wait there's a committee? I mean besides the one Wossoo and Ocean are on of course ;)

Edited by Pingpong
  • Like 1

If it was publicly known, can you imagine the thing that would come of that? Them getting constantly harassed in public, threads, players not agreeing with choices made, getting spammed with PMs on why they did/didn't do something.

In my opinion there are two sides in this game: Rolf & Co. and the players. The players (and their suggestions) are being represented by this comittee. If I am being represented I would like to know by whom and also what they exactly pass on to the devs for a review. I understand the concern about their identity being compromised and I also understand that they would like not to be harassed by the rest of the players.

But still i think creating an anonymus forum account (pretty much like the "Dev Blog" one) and reporting in on their work once a month wouldn't be too much to ask for. Maybe that would keep the rest of players guessing on what they are doing exactly.

Wow, seems some people got somehow offended because I mentioned they might be under an NDA. I guess it never occurred to any of you that being under one, and actually following it are two different things. But I guess 'snarky' is still cooler than 'rational', so lol on my little ones.

Edited by Othob Rithol

If it was publicly known, can you imagine the thing that would come of that? Them getting constantly harassed in public, threads, players not agreeing with choices made, getting spammed with PMs on why they did/didn't do something.

Seems to work fine over at Eve online, where they have the CSM: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/What_is_the_CSM

A committee of 14 players, democratically elected by the players of EvE every year. Now that's something which Wurm could learn from.

So if it works fine for them, even to the point where the members of the committee are elected every year by the players, then why would it not work fine for Wurm?

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

New art guy has leaked images to the facepunch forums

The fact that he associates with that forum and those people raises my brow. 

Seriously, every version of that thread has circle jerked about how the game is filled with "elitist s who are fun to piss off" and "how easy it is to macro"... for years now. As far as I am concerned, dirtbags hang around in that community/thread. 

As for the release of information topic, I can tell you that I have had access to the CA/CM/FM team boards before (and the player files found within them), and never did I have to sign any NDA, in any type of fashion. There is a general "ruleset" among the team, and one of those rules is/was that you are not to disclose any behind-the-scenes info, and if you do, you're subject to being dismissed. We all know that info gets out though, and most times it's impossible to trace back to the source of the leak, so goes unpunished. This would happen even if an NDA was signed, as Othob pointed out in his last post.

Of course I am going back a couple/few years, the team might operate differently these days.

It does certainly feel odd that he's releasing things/info to that community, things that haven't been shared yet here. 

• Like 1

The sole fact that there is a committee supposed to represent players but at the same time the players base not only don´t know who are this representatives or what are the things they are working on, or how they are organized, etc just make it totally invalid.

I see this is in fact more like a marketing strategy, and a good excuse for wen some damage control is required. I doubt this committee ever existed or worked as advertised.

• Like 1