Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Committee Appreciation Thread: Part Two - The Lulling

Deer lord! almost 7-8 month has passed since the establishment of the committee. And so much has happen since then.

Anyway, due to this thread I was remembered that we had a committee, so I have questions for all of you smallfractionofwurmplayersthatusetheforums:

Did you guys, girls and Radni notice any sensible improvements to Wurm since then?

And what do you think of the updates and events of these past months?

Please, I want to hear your opinions, comments, rants and thoughts about it.

Also, the A key on my keyboard has completely fade away since then.

• Like 2

Wasnt that disbanded a month after it was created because they were terrible?

Edited by Judicator

This is the first I've heard about the committee since the initial thread. Also curious as to how it's going.

As far as I know the committee never actually made it to formation....

Or if it did it lives in Area 51 or someplace.

• Like 2

As far as I know the committee never actually made it to formation....

Or if it did it lives in Area 51 or someplace.

Here and here you can see that the committee is up and running from quite some time now.

I have seen more things being added that the players want in the last year and at a faster pace but not sure if that is this committee or just the newer developers being added in the mix with a better understanding of what the game needs/wants.  

Either way i think things are fine we are getting steady updates and the newer things have been just great...IMO

I like they are adding new things like the furniture creatures hopefully bridges... But what i dont like they listen to all QQ on the forums and are nerfing some things that makes one group advantaged while the others suffer. Almost no opinions of veteran players are accepted than from newer players. But it was always like that

Here and here you can see that the committee is up and running from quite some time now.

That probably depends on what you understand from:

"still in the process of formally starting"

I haven't seen many good changes at all to pvp honestly. Steps in the right direction but nothing really good.

I doubt they have a committee at all.

Also is it a wurm committee or pvp?

Overall the development of Wurm has been lackluster to me recently.  They've done a great job for those people who are into decorating, but that has very little appeal to me personally.  Changes seem to be implemented so haphazardly, and with little apparent thought it just baffles me sometimes.  I've been playing much less recently, although I don't see myself leaving the game for good for quite awhile.

I suppose newer changes might be intended to appeal toward new players more, but for me they seem more like getting stabbed in the back.

• Like 2

Overall the development of Wurm has been lackluster to me recently.  They've done a great job for those people who are into decorating, but that has very little appeal to me personally.  Changes seem to be implemented so haphazardly, and with little apparent thought it just baffles me sometimes.  I've been playing much less recently, although I don't see myself leaving the game for good for quite awhile.

I suppose newer changes might be intended to appeal toward new players more, but for me they seem more like getting stabbed in the back.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

It seems to me that development in Wurm is based more on small side-projects that a particular dev is into than actually a structured plan. So we get random animals out of nowhere (and a whole bunch of pretty much worthless marine fauna just cluttering up the servers), then some furnitures, A SINGLE new hedge texture (out of a half-a-dozen possible hedge types), new HATCHET MODEL...

We got portcullis for tall stone walls, but tall stone walls are still shorter and their crenelations smaller than a house with second floor parapet.

Basically development seems to be made of scattered pieces haphazardly thrown into the game with no real rhyme or reason, sometimes without even apparent sense or purpose. Like this new hatchet texture, sure it looks nice, but why? Are they redoing the whole textures for tools? Just the one? Why the hatchet?

Are wool products done now with just the hat and whatever else they ninja patched? Why not do things in batches that make sense?

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 2

If we're talking about the suggestions committee, I can confirm that it exists and actively refines suggestions so that they are feasible for implementation.

However, the developers have a choice whether they are willing to spend their development time and energy on those suggestions once they have been put forward by the suggestions committee.

On a partly related note, I have been thinking about helping to establish an independent but structured suggestions group (not affiliated with the Wurm team) but I was unsure what kind of interest there would be in something like that. This suggestions group could work as a unit to put together suggestions using properly evidenced reasoning and "publish" them to the Suggestions forum. It would be different from the main suggestions forum because it would be far more structured. I personally could care less about putting forward my own ideas, but in facilitating others to have a structured debate and conclusions about theirs.

• Like 2

On a partly related note, I have been thinking about helping to establish an independent but structured suggestions group (not affiliated with the Wurm team) but I was unsure what kind of interest there would be in something like that. This suggestions group could work as a group to put together suggestions and "publish" them to the Suggestions forum. It would be different from the main suggestions forum because it would be far more structured.

I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest from people looking after their own interests (i.e. people who make RL money out of the game and don't particularly care for gameplay, or people who otherwise have something to gain from pushing their own agenda). Not sure those who'd be interested are the same ones as you'd wish represented such a suggestions group though. You'd get a lot more structure but not necessarily something that could actually be of use.

• Like 6

A committee should be formed to look into that.

• Like 3

I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest from people looking after their own interests (i.e. people who make RL money out of the game and don't particularly care for gameplay, or people who otherwise have something to gain from pushing their own agenda). Not sure those who'd be interested are the same ones as you'd wish represented such a suggestions group though. You'd get a lot more structure but not necessarily something that could actually be of use.

I clarified the post a few seconds before you posted, notably adding "using properly evidenced reasoning" as opposed to the usual we get. 

Plus the point of any debate is that two sides put forward their arguments. Part of the purpose of such a structured group would be to marshal both sides and present them as pros and cons, or test the reasoning used for validity, to the exclusion of those who don't bother with evidence.

Well until we have a clarified vision for wurm, can we really have pros and cons for any comittee suggestoins? I love how the comittee gets to put forth suggestions to the devs, yet we don't know who they are :P

• Like 1

If it was publicly known, can you imagine the thing that would come of that? Them getting constantly harassed in public, threads, players not agreeing with choices made, getting spammed with PMs on why they did/didn't do something.

• Like 1

I agree 100% shrimpiie, but... as it stands, right now they only get pm's from their friends who know they're on the committee. Which is my biggest beef with a secret committee, it's highly abusable and secret committees have a historically horrific track record.

Edited by Pingpong
  • Like 6

Well, objectively, how do we know that even those people on the committee have not been restricted from telling even close friends? I'd wager those on said committee realize the gravity of such a position and understand to keep it to themselves. Just my thoughts on the matter.

The committee is simply another means of rolf whispering, i thought we already had IRC for that?

• Like 5

I miss user voice. 

I don't care who is on the community group. What I do disagree with is what they are forwarding is not being published. imo, an anonymous poster should do a summarized tally of what has been forwarded to the developers. Yes, who is not important, Oh, but what they have to say is very important.

It would be even cooler if they let the players vote on what ideas within the group they like best.

• Like 3

Since when did a NDA mean anything? Bunches of players violate them every single alpha and beta testing for new MMOs regardless of who much the Devs threaten the Players.

Do I trust that every member of this secret committee is going to keep their mouths shut and "honor" the intent for it to be kept truly secret? I don't believe that for a second. The concept flies in the face of thousands of years of human history where multitudes of times trust imparted was betrayed and so called secret committees and organizations were as leaky as a screen door in a submarine. Made some really entertaining books, plays, and movies too.

I am not young enough, or foolish enough, to believe for a second that all members of this committee are obeying it's rules. Not for a second. I unfortunately am very certain in my view that at least some of the members are using their positions on the committee in ways that my overly developed sense of fairness would find objectionable.

The Server still hums, Wurm still turns. I am still a customer, for now.

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

Hi,

If it was publicly known, can you imagine the thing that would come of that? Them getting constantly harassed in public, threads, players not agreeing with choices made, getting spammed with PMs on why they did/didn't do something.

Since it isn't publicly known, do you realize the things that comes of that? Some people thinking of the committee as just a strawman, other people being sure that it's again an assortment of Rolfs usual IRC PvP friends, loss of trust to the devs, uncertainty among the players, and conspiracy theories growing left and right.

Not this much better.

Is it really rocket science to get such done in an acceptable way? Well, try this:

• Keep your committee members anonymous, if you like. Make sure that nobody impersonates as such, though. (Has happened to my knowledge)
  • Make a "Committee" section in the suggestion forum, where they can call for discussion of certain questions, and where they'd set up polls to ask the community if their proposals would be welcome.
  • (For sure, the committee would use 1 fake account, to provide anonymity)

This way, the community would see that there's a committee at all, and would see what they're doing. And could be heard by them, and wouldn't have the impression that there's now a "Government by Rolf's Mercy over us Lunatics" (GRML!).

Wouldn't it save a lot of trouble?

Have fun!

• Like 5