Sign in to follow this  
Chinpow

Wurm is dying. At least Epic is.

honestly there's not much you can do to boost population, only thing that's gonna affect that is to advertise the game as a whole more. But suggestions such as a map reset etc aren't going to change much because the only real source you'll be getting is people from freedom, and they're on freedom for a reason, they don't want to play on epic. Our server resetting or something like that isn't going to change the fact that they don't want to pvp. As much as I want more players, I don't really think it's in our control.

^ Advertising won't help when the mechanics suck. People will just quit.

• Like 2

I see different reasons for Epic having issues.  My view is dated though, as I haven't played Wurm in over a year.  It's pretty clear though that PVP is stagnant on Epic.  It's just Chaos/Wild with a couple different rules now, as predicted.

That's one reason why I've been suggesting a PVP Blitz server.  Three months and done.  New characters every time.  Maps could be re-used, but all player modifications removed from them.  Get rid of the unique NPC's, rares, strange materials, funky godcrap, and relics, and get back to the core of Wurm PVP.  Gritty, dark medieval feel.  Where building your terrible little village on a hilltop is an accomplishment, and you never really know when this completely new guy you've never heard of before might be able to kick your ass because he might just get a lucky blow in with a troll club he found.

Stick this blitz PVP server on Steam.

Back when Epic was being formulated in Rolf's mind as a frequently reset system I have to admit it actually seemed a bit appealing to me. You'd never be too far behind, nobody would get too strongly entrenched and rules changes wouldn't make unbalancing lasting legacies or windows of opportunity. I don't know why he abandoned the idea and just recreated the Wild/Homes model that had already failed once.

if you want more pvp go make more pvp. The player base is solely responsible for how much pvp occurs. i have never found it hard to find pvp or raiding. Epic is far from dead and being from ex-wild it is far better than wild ever was in direct pvp opportunity. Vast improvements have been made. even new players can jump in and join.

Are we talking about player retention or about how much PvP happen?

I don't play Epic, and therefore I won't comment on the OP suggestions, only the title. As there isn't a code split, Wurm is all one big game however. Our tiny dev team has a hell of a job trying to balance PvP development vs PvE development, and no-matter what they do people will always think they are not doing enough, or playing favourites.

As guests at a party that Rolf is hosting, we can be very ungrateful and rude. Everyone wants a slice of dev time-and-attention, and some of the playerbase can be forgiven for this daddy-daddy-pay-attention-to-ME attitude because they ARE children. For the rest of us, it's a sandbox and we're just not really geared up for what that means. It means we have to decide for ourselves what is fun and worthwhile instead of autopiloting through a set of predetermined goals and achievements. We have to actually use our imagination and innovation instead of waiting for a parent to make a perfect world for us.

Rolf has made it clear that he accepts volunteering, so there's no reason any of us can't skill-up in RL and start contributing to the game. Please bear this in mind when looking at some of the new features that appear in Wurm; volunteer submissions do make it in, and some of them are wogical to the point that it makes me wonder if they are really in the ethos of Wurm, but likely they weren't made by the 'official' dev team in the first place.

Epic is a sandbox warzone. There's no-one saying this is what we are fighting for, and this is what we hope to achieve by it. There's no cause, no quest, no crusade. No beginning and no end. You get of Wurm what you put into it, and most of that is your own attitude. Some people come to Wurm and it's not right for them, and some people stay because they've found an outlet that works for them. A lot of what people think is what is broken about the game is what is broken in the players. More than any other game Wurm allows you to bring-your-own-ethos. If you don't have it in you to be in a warzone, you don't play Epic. If you find peacetime so grey as to be lifeless, you don't play Freedom. If you think success is measured in money, land and possessions, Wurm will support this. If you don't, Wurm doesn't penalise you.

Wurm favours players with stamina, who aren't in it for the quick rewards, or big upheavals in the way the game is updated. That's not going to change. Wurm suits no-one personally, it is equally neglectful of addressing our personal issues, giving us the time to come to understand that it isn't their job to make the world work how we think it should to conform to what we think we need. It gives you time to think, and maybe something to think about. And maybe, just maybe, that what you do as a player within the playerbase, is more important than the game and its mechanics, because no game can give you what you are truly seeking, only a medium in which to discover yourself.

Wurm lives, because Wurm attracts and holds people who are alive and seeking something. PvP or PvE there is a ton of scope for all sorts of players. What most people think as the game getting better over time, more rewarding over time, is actually the affect Wurm has on them as a person over time. Wurm favours the long-time player, who sticks around long enough to be changed by Wurm, not the people who can run out of ideas in a sandbox and want more prefabricated toys and official rulesets.

There is no endgame to Wurm, when you've done all the obvious stuff and you're wondering what's supposed to come next, the game isn't supposed to tell you, or provide it on a silver platter. Wurm is slow enough to allow you to adapt to this ethos before you run out of things to do. The game mechanics are there to give you a medium, not a purpose. Purpose is something you have to figure out yourself in all it's sandbox glory. If you're not ready for Wurm, play some other games until you are, because Wurm is ahead of its time and catering for a different breed of player than the mass market can make money off by popularity.

If you feel Epic is dying, ask yourself if it is actually you that is stagnating in the way you are playing. There is at least an even-chance that what's stopping the game being fun is what is in your own head, not how the mechanics work, so give at least equal weight to that possibility, and ask if there is anything you can change or whether it is really something that requires Wurm to change and not you. Ponder that on those long action times and slow skillticks; you have time, view it as precious in a different light.

• Like 1

Strategy is already in place as seen many times over when the side with less numbers wins because the other is too focused on trying to scatter or simply inexperienced and disorganized

*Edit: Also Lorena, no template kingdom will die :P

Strategy is already in place as seen many times over when the side with less numbers wins because the other is too focused on trying to scatter or simply inexperienced and disorganized

*Edit: Also Lorena, no template kingdom will die :P

ie: milling about

I am not f**ken reading through all that. Gonna leave the thread to the rest!

"first mre collapsed" 

Yeah, there were times when we had clashes on HotA, equal numbers and stuff. After a few big battles you stopped coming to HotA and your online dropped a lot. For the next few months until BL came it was safe to go all around HS, Avarga desert and pretty much everywhere except your deeds. 

Yeah, there were times when we had clashes on HotA, equal numbers and stuff. After a few big battles you stopped coming to HotA and your online dropped a lot. For the next few months until BL came it was safe to go all around HS, Avarga desert and pretty much everywhere except your deeds. 

The reason most of BL left epic is because it got boring.

We were the only kingdom to actively go out and raid homeservers, we were the only kingdom to actively go out to stop towercapping, we were the only kingdom that actually tried to raid other peoples capitol deeds consistently

It literally got so stale after like 3 years of doing it that most of us just decided to leave.

Thats the problem with a sandbox is if everyone doesnt put in the effort to make it fun, one side is going to put in so much effort they get burnt out.

Thats why Epic is also seasonal.

Edited by Propheteer

Earlier this year, we saw over 100 players on for a few weekends. Epic constantly rises and falls randomly. I've been seeing these threads for a long time.

Everytime an account sells someone new buys it, and most of the time the seller returns.

Dont forget the time KoS looted and sacked EC. heh. Phat loots and arties :)

• Like 1

awesome, because other people know other kingdoms better than the people themselves

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aGG27dGUA

I didn't realise BL was dominating for 3 years lol how did I miss that, and why do I hear faint echos of 'BL smallest kingdom'

Has Epic been around three years? I thought it was more two and a half.  :unsure:

Unless its a reference to the old school BL?

Everytime an account sells someone new buys it, and most of the time the seller returns.

Dont forget the time KoS looted and sacked EC. heh. Phat loots and arties :)

KoS didn't "sack" much.  You stole artifacts when you were MR, and a citzen of the deed long before KoS even existed, not much else to it when your history across wurm leads you to living alone on top of a pillar  :)

Forgive me if I'm tired but what is HS?  And what does avarga desert have anything to do with MR collapsed or not especially when it had JK towers for ages?? :huh:

Earlier this year, we saw over 100 players on for a few weekends. Epic constantly rises and falls randomly. I've been seeing these threads for a long time.

Yeah, that's right. Over 100. Let's see if it ever get's back to these numbers. Cause I don't see a slightest reason why would it. Not unless there are large group of home players willing to transfer. I don't know of any atm.

awesome, because other people know other kingdoms better than the people themselves

We can obviously discuss the definition of "collapse", I measure numbers and public activity. That's what matters for me as an opponent. 

KoS didn't "sack" much.  You stole artifacts when you were MR, and a citzen of the deed long before KoS even existed, not much else to it when your history across wurm leads you to living alone on top of a pillar  :)

Forgive me if I'm tired but what is HS?  And what does avarga desert have anything to do with MR collapsed or not especially when it had JK towers for ages?? :huh:

OK, it is far indeed, and it had JK towers there (not anymore), but that does not contradicts the fact that a lot of small skirmishes happened near there and that area was considered dangerous to go. 

Anyway I already understood that this topic makes little sense. With the old players openly opposing these changes nothing gonna move on. It will continue to be a place for a few old players with several newbies jumping in and out. 

Edited by silakka
Inappropriate Language

With the old players openly opposing these changes nothing gonna move on. It will continue to be a place for a few old players with several newbies jumping in and out. 

Re-reading this thread I just realize that it is truth, all the old players are like "meh everything is OK, ignore it". Or stating that larges rise and falls on player population is totally normal and nothing to worry about, or even pay attention to..

Then we talk about player retention. And all ideas about it are shot down by the players, or the devs simply don't care about it.

I stopped reading when you said you had a professional point of view about how an mmo should run.

Edited by demondan

I much rather like living alone than with ######s like you.

Besides its a game I dont live in it like you. I play a day or two a week for an hour or two.

You act like EC is something special? Just stolen deed with dirt walls.

Edited by Youngsoldier
  • Like 1

yeah you get boosts when he adds something or changes something for awhile...but boring is boring no matter how much Lipstick you put on it. ;)

The reason most of BL left epic is because it got boring.

Lol

Its just u and ur sheep that left, not most of BL.

• Like 3