Sign in to follow this  
Aetherwalker

When is something going to be done about host packet loss?

I'm not raging here, I've just been hit by an episode of packet loss and was wondering if there was any news from the Devs about the status of the Hetzier host's systems. It's kind of absurd to be paying a company to host servers for your game, getting terrible service and just allowing it. I wonder if Johan or someone else can inform us why Rolf is paying for server hosts, getting atrocious packet loss and simply allowing it to continue?

I'm often lagging even on the forums. Waiting over 30 seconds or longer for page loading or seding response

Still hitching every few steps i take now.

Game is barely playable.

Plus paypal still wont let me renew char with them.

They hink i am sending money to some 3rd world terrorist country.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it's the same company that was taken offline for nearly 2 weeks due to a WEAK DDOS...

Still hitching every few steps i take now.

Game is barely playable.

Plus paypal still wont let me renew char with them.

They hink i am sending money to some 3rd world terrorist country.

Aren't you?

Yes same here - lagging badly some days to the point where I cannot play.  Move, freeze, move, freeze.  My internet is fine and my computer runs as per normal. Just Wurm lagging.

Yeah I too have been wondering this very question. When will something be done about this? I used to have these problems daily lately though it's less frequent but I personally still have several occurrences a week and know many many other players who struggle with this on much more of a regular basis. 

Since I moved to Xanadu I have had slight lag all the time, something like 100-300ms every action, harder to steer horses etc. I've thought it was just because of the big server but I guess this could be the real cause of it. It certainly makes the game less enjoying to play.

Edited by Torgrim

I'm not raging here, I've just been hit by an episode of packet loss and was wondering if there was any news from the Devs about the status of the Hetzier host's systems. It's kind of absurd to be paying a company to host servers for your game, getting terrible service and just allowing it. I wonder if Johan or someone else can inform us why Rolf is paying for server hosts, getting atrocious packet loss and simply allowing it to continue?

I have already asked for this to be looked into but I am still awaiting further confirmation and verdict on the problem.

Probably it is more complex then I would like to think.

And moving to new host is something we would of course like to avoid if possible.

Will get out my poking stick again to see if we can move this along a bit quicker.

• Like 7

It seams be a major problem for people far away to Germany. personally i never had any trouble, no matter how bad my internet connection is. It kinda makes sense that people from Australia have more packet lost then people in UK.

Edited by Sklo:D

I have already asked for this to be looked into but I am still awaiting further confirmation and verdict on the problem.

And moving to new host is something we would of course like to avoid if possible.

Will get out my poking stick again to see if we can move this along a bit quicker.

I am going to start "liking" every post you make outside of the weekly news... I don't even care about the content.

I'm just glad to see you getting active in the forums.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm just glad CodeClubAB is owning up to it.

Many of Wurm's veterans are extremely defensive when it comes to anything that comes off as negative towards their game of choice. It's so bad, that even after I jumped through all the necessary hoops, collected enough information, and created a forum support group for people afflicted by Hetzner's failings, there are still people who say to me, "It's probably your Java, have you updated?", "It's most likely your computer" or "It sounds like your internet is having problems."

The recent official responses have been making great retorts in those cases. Vindication is deeply gratifying, especially after months of being shouted down.

Edited by Dairuka

Never had a problem with lag or disconnects. Are you sure it's not your shitty isp throttling you?

Edited by Judicator

Host issues

We have been experiencing some problems with our host in Germany where all of a sudden there is performance issues and data loss that goes on for some time.

Currently we are recording network data to get further information to provide to Hetzner.

We have already identified this is something happening in their core network and within their infrastructure.

Currently we can not say how we will resolve this as it is pretty much out of our hands if they themselves do not address the issue.

That is if we do not want to start tailoring our servers around this issue to try and compensate for their shortcomings.

Or for that matter migrate to another host again which is of course not optimal.

I will get back to you once I have further information on the matter.

Personally, I'm just glad CodeClubAB is owning up to it.

Many of Wurm's veterans are extremely defensive when it comes to anything that comes off as negative towards their game of choice. It's so bad, that even after I jumped through all the necessary hoops, collected enough information, and created a forum support group for people afflicted by Hetzner's failings, there are still people who say to me, "It's probably your Java, have you updated?", "It's most likely your computer" or "It sounds like your internet is having problems."

The recent official responses have been making great retorts in those cases. Vindication is deeply gratifying, especially after months of being shouted down.

Never had a problem with lag or disconnects. Are you sure it's not your shitty isp throttling you?

You have to learn to laugh at things like this, otherwise you get angry. Beer helps.

Edited by Dairuka

Yes same here - lagging badly some days to the point where I cannot play.  Move, freeze, move, freeze.  My internet is fine and my computer runs as per normal. Just Wurm lagging.

exact same thing happening to me last 5 days now since update it seems.

I cant say I get it all the time but its rather noticeable while driving my large cart, at first I thought it was my Pc/Connection but at least since the begining of Oct its been isolasted to WURM Online

Last night was bad. The right click menu was "refreshing" for 5 to 10 seconds before it loaded. Was trying to play 3 toons at once and it was just not working. Even  trying to play one toon was just unplayable. 

I must say though that these issues are relatively infrequent compared to what was going on maybe a year and a half ago where it was like that all the time.

Nonetheless, something needs to be done about it.