Sign in to follow this  
Feagwath

Where do I begin..? Just Kidding- a few things, please.

• Buff Mountain Lions - if you've lived in a country with mountain lions, you know they will slaughter you. When out hiking in mountain lion territories, that'll be in the back of your mind, because if they want to kill you, you're done.    Nobody in their right mind would fight  one except with a rifle at 100 meters, but in Wurm, I could easily kill them with a 15 QL longsword as a fresh noob with <10 FS, and still they're the same. Noobs should be on the forums crying about being stalked and murdered by a hungry mountain lion while out jogging.  They should have high critical chance and do massive damage if they sneak up.  As a bonus- please make tame champion mountain lions rideable.

• Either Nerf Hell Hounds OR Make them larger...  They're really dangerous for how small they are. It's extremely deceiving, and a bit silly.  They're currently about the size of a cocker spaniel.  Even a burning cocker spaniel wouldn't be that scary...  Lava fiends are big tough(looking) guys, so shouldn't be much easier than a little dog as they currently are.  Also, please make them rarer.  It ruins the immersion to see flaming dogs everywhere.

• Make spears wield-able with shields, but do more damage and parry more when wielded two-handed.  Read the Iliad.  Parrying with a spear is cool and all, but you can't parry arrows unless you're in a kung-fu movie. please just make these things viable.  As it is now, they do comparable damage to a longsword, but can only be wielded two-handed... This isn't right.  Bonus- Make throwing spears viable.

• Like 1

• Buff Mountain Lions - if you've lived in a country with mountain lions, you know they will slaughter you. When out hiking in mountain lion territories, that'll be in the back of your mind, because if they want to kill you, you're done.    Nobody in their right mind would fight  one except with a rifle at 100 meters, but in Wurm, I could easily kill them with a 15 QL longsword as a fresh noob with <10 FS, and still they're the same. Noobs should be on the forums crying about being stalked and murdered by a hungry mountain lion while out jogging.  They should have high critical chance and do massive damage if they sneak up.  As a bonus- please make tame champion mountain lions rideable.

• Either Nerf Hell Hounds OR Make them larger...  They're really dangerous for how small they are. It's extremely deceiving, and a bit silly.  They're currently about the size of a cocker spaniel.  Even a burning cocker spaniel wouldn't be that scary...  Lava fiends are big tough(looking) guys, so shouldn't be much easier than a little dog as they currently are.  Also, please make them rarer.  It ruins the immersion to see flaming dogs everywhere.

• Make spears wield-able with shields, but do more damage and parry more when wielded two-handed.  Read the Iliad.  Parrying with a spear is cool and all, but you can't parry arrows unless you're in a kung-fu movie. please just make these things viable.  As it is now, they do comparable damage to a longsword, but can only be wielded two-handed... This isn't right.  Bonus- Make throwing spears viable.

1. Mountain lions are a good way for noobs to get pelts for imping and such, they are fine as they are. Something easy to kill for newbs, no problem with that

2. Maybe bigger no need to nerf. As FS is soooo easy to skill this is not a real problem when you invest in to some decent gear. They always manage to sneak up on me and after killing the main pray i find that i was also attacked by them. Oh and let them drop charcoal. Just make it look bigger or easier to see.

3. Spears with shields are interesting, but i personally think all of the weapon and shield system needs to looked at, atm even without the shield, spears are pretty useless. And you can throw them btw ;) Not sure how much damage they do tho.

Edited by Argustin

Is funny because hell hounds behave like you suggest lions should.

And I agree that hell hounds should be bigger, they are hell hounds not poodles.

-1 to the other two suggestions.

Edited by Alec

+1 to making hellhounds bigger

A spear in wurm is a pike(polearm) as opposed to a bladed-polearm(halberd). It is not a short-spear or a javelin. It is not called a pike in-game because we have fish called that.

1) Nope. As people explained, fine as it is.

2) Yeah they could do with a size change. The immersion breaking you mention is kind of weird when you think you have so many other lava and fantasy creatures running around (8 meter spiders anyone?). The dropping charcoal idea would be nice, would put all the charcoal makers out of buisness though seeing as they spawn so frequently.

3) Definitely, we could use some smaller 1h spears. About the trhowing. You can throw anything in your inventory, including a stack of spears. I think damage is dependent on weight and ql, never tested it though. Just activate the object, right click the target, click throw (many a newbie lost their tools this way).

-There are rats and also dogs to get pelts from for noobs.

- Tons of things to skill from at low level: pigs, dogs, rats, goblins, wolves, chickens, horses, cattle.  Maybe make more rats so noobs can get their pelts.  

-It's more difficult getting 40-50-60 fight skill and they should be moved somewhere into that difficulty.  It is not fine as it is-  mountain lions are a joke in Wurm.  They're a lion, FFS, and should not be like fighting chickens.

Rats and dogs are not as common as mountain lions in my opinion. and in my opinion, getting to 70 FS is very VERY easy if you have the help of established players. If you are starting on your own, and have to rely on your own resources, then yes is hard, if not is just going around killing stuff.

-There are rats and also dogs to get pelts from for noobs.

- Tons of things to skill from at low level: pigs, dogs, rats, goblins, wolves, chickens, horses, cattle. Maybe make more rats so noobs can get their pelts.

-It's more difficult getting 40-50-60 fight skill and they should be moved somewhere into that difficulty. It is not fine as it is- mountain lions are a joke in Wurm. They're a lion, FFS, and should not be like fighting chickens.

70 fs is max a week of hunting.. (not sure about xanadu, heard spawns there are messed up)

Rats and dogs are not as common as mountain lions in my opinion. and in my opinion, getting to 70 FS is very VERY easy if you have the help of established players. If you are starting on your own, and have to rely on your own resources, then yes is hard, if not is just going around killing stuff.

-It's ridiculous for a top preditor to be more common than fast-breeding omnivores like rats and dogs.

-  I'm not saying it's difficult to get fight skill, but you'll be fighting spiders and brown bears at mid-levels.  Why not make this a more diverse experience?

70 fs is max a week of hunting.. (not sure about xanadu, heard spawns there are messed up)

-I agree, but mid-level grinding is needlessly boring.

1: +1, Completely agree, Lions should be buffed a little for a little more variations in fighting. Maybe Buff lions slightly and nerf hellhounds as a possibility or make the hellhounds more rare.

2: +10, Hell hounds have always been an annoyance to me really. Little glass cannons that seem to be everywhere. Like you say the size is silly. My understanding of Medieval fantasy i never heard talk of any "hell" just witches and pagan worship so why hell-anything is even in the game is strange, and breaks my immersion for the most part. I may be wrong but I believe Hell hounds and other hell-creatures were added later and were not in the core game design. Another wemp<>hemp dilemma most likely based on my understanding of most of the community.

3: +1, Pretty much in fantasy and in real history shields with spears were common place. Also being a Hoplite in wurm would be awesome! Sandbox with many viable weapon options would be nice, not just longsword or some other inferior weapon to the longsword. Maybe that will come in a few years when the combat reshuffle gets here.

Just activate the object, right click the target, click throw (many a newbie lost their tools this way).

It hasn't worked like this for several months.

-It's ridiculous for a top preditor to be more common than fast-breeding omnivores like rats and dogs.

-  I'm not saying it's difficult to get fight skill, but you'll be fighting spiders and brown bears at mid-levels.  Why not make this a more diverse experience?

I see waaay more lions than rats and dogs, maybe is because I'm playing on Epic.

And giant spiders and scorpions, bears, lava fiends and crocodiles are way over mountain lions in terms of food chain.

I see waaay more lions than rats and dogs, maybe is because I'm playing on Epic.

And giant spiders and scorpions, bears, lava fiends and crocodiles are way over mountain lions in terms of food chain.

I can't speak directly for the ecology of Wurm; But as far as natural animals go, lions are the king of the jungle.  Bears do not ordinarily pray on lions in the wild. Though they are stronger, it would not be worth it in the end, as the wounds the lion would inflict would probably result in the bears death anyway.

On Affliction, at least on the old server, dogs are king.  There was, at least when I played there, literally piles and piles and piles of them.  Also, forgot to mention wild cats give pelts too...  Between rats, dogs and wildcats, noobs should have no problem getting pelts.  If that fails, they can always beg for one.  Most players hunting I've seen leave them on the ground, they're so abundant.

Friendly reminder that this is a game with dragons, magic and stuff.

It didn't start out that way...   Are there animals in the game based upon actual animals or not?  Do I have to start quoting Baudrillard?

Please do, but make them all single posts, please... Then we'll both win, as I suspect your actual goal is a higher post count.

So you want to make mountain lions stronger because in real life lions are kings of the jungle? I am sorry but it seems like a pointless work for the devs. I agree only to the larger hell hounds because i always somehow don`t see them. This game is not based on reality and i think the thoughness of land animals is ok. I would like to make whales stronger but otherwise it is good. And yes with 75+fs it is not sooo interesting to go hunting, but then it is time to go to PVP for challenge, if not, still have uniques and champion trolls. This game is not pure hunting game so making animals stronger you only hurt newbs.... Not sure about Epic, but you still have tons of different stuff to hunt on Freedom and Chaos (nogumps on chaos are hard at high fs for example)... so to change the difficulty of some animals, because you think they are stronger - don`t see the point. But as my -1 it is as much as yours +1, in general it is upto the devs.

comparing Wurm animals and RL animals is really pointless ...

otherwise, spiders should be from 1 millimeter to 10-20 cm max and doing none to tiny wounds only, similar with scorpions with some chance of strong poison in wounds ...

do not forget, it is fantasy game, not real world simulation

No, I'm not saying have it be just like real life... okay.  I am aware this is a fantasy game.  Also, I'm aware this is a fantasy game.  And by the way, I'm aware this is a fantasy game.  Hence, I'm aware this is a fantasy game.  The game is bottom heavy in terms of creature difficulty anyway, so why not fill in the gaps in the middle?