Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Trade Winds - faster sailing - Server borders

My idea to help those crazy long travel times, sailing around Xanadu:

Trade Winds.  When you reach a decent distance from the shore, you enter into the Trade Winds, which blow 2-3x as strong as the normal winds.  We don't want crazy fast sailing near land, because it would make cave canal navigation and docking quite the challenge.

I would envision full implementation of this as a new water texture, for the outer 100-200 tiles, leading up to the server crossing border.  Don't know how hard adding a choppy water texture would be, but this would be something that could be done down the road. I imagine the speed zone coding could be done quite easily.

In addition, it would be fantastic if we could actually see the server border, with some clever little graphic additions.  No visible walls or border lines, but some floating debris, like ship wreckage, or a batch of seagulls circling around.  Seeing the border was close would be helpful in normal winds, but much more necesary with the Trade Winds, where you could easily shoot through a border crossing unintended.  The orange text warning might not provide enough time to respond.

Also, while I am at it, lets eliminate the "shark scouts you" message and kick off to water thing. Could we just have a "strong gust of wind" blow us away from those dead zones?  Would help in afk sailing quite a bit.  Could make it fun and do a pirate ships for the border graphics in those places and "Pirates chase you back into safer waters".

• Like 20

Only thing i would change it allow gale speed in any direction regardless of wind direction/strength that day but if it is easier to just do the 2-3x normal then i guess that will have to work. 

Edit: Don't forget to hit that like button on the OP so they can see this is a popular suggestion, 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

only +1 to speed zones, I think every server should have 'speed zone' sailing routes

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

Interesting concept. Would be nice to have trade-winds marked on the maps, very immersive.

But it might backfire in terms of making journeys faster, since a gale is already a pain to sail into. You might end up with trade winds blowing all away from Xanadu, or all to Xanadu, if not only ever in one direction (west or east) which would mean a bigger fight on you hand on one leg of the journey with no chance of the wind changing in your favour.

Also, you might find such high winds will snap the masts off more delicate craft, perverse as wogic is. That could make server-crossings (always in deep water) a lot more restricted. Or perhaps you would end up always drifting in the direction of the trade winds (leeway drift), meaning you would have to sail at an angle to go straight when crossing them, which could result in being blown across a server border.

And if trade winds were only in small pockets, you'd end up going out of your way to catch them, and maybe make up no time.

But still interesting as an idea.

+1 to border decorations

Edited by Drayka

I ran out of likes... so LIKE.

I had said somewhere about currents also. The sea can move pretty fast in some places.

Thought I would put this idea here since it's on the same subject.

Would it be possible to put up something like an Epic Gate at each corner of the Xanadu map. Sail through the gate and it transfers you and your boat half way across the edge of the map?  This would make the travel distance the same as Indy.

+1  mybe at water deep more then 200 slope  from water level... could work nice :D

more deep water faster you goes :D   

Edited by RockyBalboa

Technically, we are near the equator of this planet (astronomically speaking). We're more prone to being becalmed. Not that logic has ever stopped wogic. But maybe that's why we have the ability to row all ships no matter how big. :P

This is such a neat idea to ease the pains of long-distance travelling without many adverse effects +1!

An implementation that doesn't rely on map zones and would help with inner seas travel, too, could be to give ships the ability to speed up to double speed for as long as they don't adjust their course (go completely straight) once every hour. This would make clever navigation and planning pay off in any kind of wind - and make it possible to choose between tacking against the wind and making a small detour, then engaging the speed bonus for a longer (possibly afk :P) period.

Still an issue.  It's only been a breeze for most of the week, so this issue has compounded issues.  :angry:

I understand that rowboats would be useless (except to non-premium players) if there was ALWAYS wind on all servers.  But, I have to agree with the OP that something needs to be done about wind speed on Xanadu.  All gales, all the time, only on Xanadu.  It's just too @#$%@# big to sail across in a light breeze in 1 sitting.

The whole wind RNG needs fixing.... 

Always goes to the extremes, and rarely switches direction.... 

Northeast for hours switching between speeds, seen it get stuck on breeze and light breeze for a couple days on end...

Doing away with "light breeze" and having it change directions more constantly would be a good start, way it is now you're guaranteed at least 1/2 of any trip longer than an hour to be into the wind or no wind at all.

I had hoped some suggestion like this existed already, because I recently thought "Goddamnit the Xanadu border is ridiculously far away".

Would be cool if the border could be moved towards the land by some decent measure, because it feels like the distance from Xanas northern landmass to the border is half a small server.

Trade winds in all directions would also help a lot with that, so +1 and a massive necrobump.

• Like 1

For Xanadu definitely, so there's less of a desire to server-hop to get from one side of Xanadu to the other.