Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Player Auctions Costly

So under the glitter of a picture of a bridge, the cleanup from the political fallout begins?

Wat?

Threads are getting closed and this may be my last chance to sum it up from my perspective. 

What it comes down to is Rolf has made it clear that he does not understand our concerns and he still encourages us to use a shady third party vendor for "safety".  Thankfully he does not require it at the moment. I understand the need to market Wurm and get your name out there and more players. This is not the way to do it.  Even if he does not understand the WHY. I am really sad that Rolf seems stuck in his stance on using this site when the Wurm community is clearly against it. Especially if he hasn't signed a legally binding contract with them

I know there are pros and cons for it, but why aren't we on Steam yet? I don't always have time to read the forums in depth so maybe I missed those threads. I had assumed this giant new server called Xanadu was being built for the influx of new players most likely coming from Steam.  Have you seen the knockoffs there that are tanking because their early access releases suck, or are a big scam? There are clearly people out there who are looking for games like Wurm, Wurm has a solid history but man the marketing stinks. 

Forum accounts PlayerAuctions and Virtualtrades are trying to panhandle to gullible people. PlayerAuctions keeps side stepping our demand for him to account for all of the other ToS breaking their site allows. They sound just like the guy that did my online "interview" for a well known company and then wanted to send me a check for $5000 to buy supplies myself to prove I am trust worthy, I must deposit at an ATM and I can keep $125 for myself!  Unfortunately for PlayerAuctions like me, the majority of Wurm players are not gullible and have a strong moral stance against sites like these along with the understanding of in game trouble they bring with them.

I am a Wurm junkie. I am average Jane and have an average job and I "vote with my dollars" and I choose not to use Player Auctions. Thankfully I am able to set aside our "play" money to pump into this game as I do not have children or other major expenditures. In the last year that my husband and I have been playing, we have dumped a couple thousand of US dollars into this game, between buying silver and prem time directly from code club and in game transactions with other players via PayPal. Poor decisions like this make me wonder what's next. Am I going to have to break my Wurm addiction like I was able to conquer my addiction to sugar? I certainly hope not. 

I hope Rolf comes around and listens to the community regarding this issue. I truly appreciate when Devs can and cannot cater to client wishes regarding how the game itself works and all of the hard work they have been doing to provide us with new in game content and bug fixes. This whole mess is not the same thing. 

Edited by KryoKitten
  • Like 1

Like you say Posteh, Paypal isn't going to spend their time checking your screenshots confirming that you did indeed deliver your virtual goods and solving disputes with that. They don't have the people to check that.

That is kinda the whole reason why PlayerAuctions exists. They are the ones who do have the right people who will check screenshots to see if the goods were delivered. If they need to take a financial hit for that, that's not the user's worry. It seems that they are doing something right though, seeing as they have been around for many years and are extremely popular

The number of replies is shrinking is all.

Oh, then you know these posts will get deleted too.

And I don't know to whom I should PM to know why.

Oh, then you know these posts will get deleted too.

And I don't know to whom I should PM to know why.

If your post is removed, you can just PM any forum moderator, someone like Shrimpiie for example.

Sometimes a post is removed, and there are a bunch of other posts quoting that now removed post. Those posts are often removed too. That's usually the biggest reason why a lot of posts start vanishing.

Like you say Posteh, Paypal isn't going to spend their time checking your screenshots confirming that you did indeed deliver your virtual goods and solving disputes with that. They don't have the people to check that.

That is kinda the whole reason why PlayerAuctions exists. They are the ones who do have the right people who will check screenshots to see if the goods were delivered. If they need to take a financial hit for that, that's not the user's worry. It seems that they are doing something right though, seeing as they have been around for many years and are extremely popular

god damnit..

it doesn't matter if PlayerAuctions does all that snooping and finding, it won't matter to PayPal at all.  PlayerAuctions merely uses it, they aren't in any sort of agreement with PayPal to cover their losses 

you can scam anyone on PlayerAuctions, and then PlayerAuctions can see that person really did deliver account, but PayPal is going to ask one question only.. "what's the tracking #?"

Edited by Postes
  • Like 2

Well then... I see my posts gone.

Message taken.

Message_taken.jpg

C'mon, you have to endure this type of thing from time to time.

Is how Wurm works.

So don't quit for this and just ignore it.

Edited by Alec

god damnit..

it doesn't matter if PlayerAuctions does all that snooping and finding, it won't matter to PayPal at all.  PlayerAuctions merely uses it, they aren't in any sort of agreement with PayPal to cover their losses 

you can scam anyone on PlayerAuctions, and then PlayerAuctions can see that person really did deliver account, but PayPal is going to ask one question only.. "what's the tracking #?"

Why does this matter? The payments are made to PlayerAuctions. If there is a Paypal dispute, it will be a dispute between the user and PlayerAuctions, not a dispute with the buyer and the seller. That means PlayerAuctions handles the dispute. If they lose the Paypal dispute for whatever reason, that's not your problem.

• Like 1

I just... I... don't... did this game's developer just say he endorses a company that facilitates transactions between players who violate the rules within the games they play? And somehow makes it sound like it is supposed to be a good thing, that this company "protects" those who violate ToS and EULAs? And he still expects us to abide by his rules? Or did he just tell us, that there is this great company out there who will "protect" us when we choose to violate his rules too???

I mean, I can understand if in his eagerness to give us an option for safe transactions (that don't require his time and resources on developing), that he somehow didn't think things through and saw all possible consequences, but since he is defending his position even after all the issues have been raised in various threads.... I just lost all respect for the man.

I can understand wanting exposure, but by choosing this way to promote your game, you have also shown us what type of customer you want. The type that I don't want as my neighbour, or on my server - well, I really don't want them in the same game as me. But then again, I don't enjoy PvP and don't get any enjoyment from using shady tactics - so what do I know. Maybe these type of people is exactly what he wants for the PvP crowd. It will spice things up a bit I guess.

And due to the loss of respect, I will risk the ban and say: That type of activity is apparently reserved for the creator....

I'd "like" this post a million times if i could!

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I'd "like" this post a million times if i could!

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Well, us "drama mongers" and "doomsayers" I guess need to go outside and get some sun so we can come back refreshed to play in Wurm. After all, it's optional to use them and they would never target such a small game, not when YoVille is out there and all. Our concerns fall upon deaf ears. All we are doing is drumming up drama over something trivial and so I guess we should just go back into our drama lurking mode waiting to pounce on the next trivial thing that comes along. Ah well. Sorry for making you waste popcorn on such useless babble. They are a fine, upstanding company to partner with I am sure. You just need to overlook the fact that they endorse and encourage the breaking of ToS agreements and it's all 100% kosher.

• Like 1

Seriously? Who let Rolf post on the forums? In 5 hours he posted that wurm can't keep track of how long it's player base has had premium time and endorsed a shady at best 3rd party auction house site that then listed macros for wurm that supposedly are beyond wurms dectection abilities (and I do wonder having seen the age of the engine). Please don't let him at the keyboard ....

Edited by Pingpong
  • Like 6

(To a removed post) What is ridiculous is being told we are hurting Wurm by being astonished that it would even be suggested that we do business with such a site as this. But like I said above, I sincerely apologize for wasting your valuable reading time with such nonsense as outrage over officially endorsing a site that promotes ToS violations as the core functionality of its business model. Please forgive me for my transgressions!

• Like 1

"Virtualtrades" first post:

"I am the owner of a virtual trading forum - I am interested in your game and the great possibilities it has. I recently spoke to Jacob from Playerauctions about the adoption of your game also. 

I am interested in talking to you, as your game is something I am interested in creating a market for.

I have sent you an email, hopefully we can chat soon.

Thanks buddy."

I find it funny how he turned into "just a normal guy" so fast.

"Virtualtrades" first post:

"I am the owner of a virtual trading forum - I am interested in your game and the great possibilities it has. I recently spoke to Jacob from Playerauctions about the adoption of your game also. 

I am interested in talking to you, as your game is something I am interested in creating a market for.

I have sent you an email, hopefully we can chat soon.

Thanks buddy."

I find it funny how he turned into "just a normal guy" so fast.

I am a normal guy, how am I not?

I had a proposition which I thought members would like here - but I didn't know how strong some of you feel regarding certain topics. Now I do, so its hey ho. 

Good luck to you all and keep it a tight community and I'm sure the game will grow.

Edited by Virtualtrades

Seriously? Who let Rolf post on the forums? In 5 hours he posted that wurm can't keep track of how long it's player base has had premium time and endorsed a shady at best 3rd party auction house site that then listed macros for wurm that supposedly are beyond wurms dectection abilities (and I do wonder having seen the age of the engine). Please don't let him at the keyboard ....

#deadfromlaughter

I'm staying out of this one now since I had my go at Rolf in IRC about this but so many people hit the nail so square on the head you should be considered legendary carpenters just based on your nail driving skills. This post though was just so... lol. <3 ya ping.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

I had a proposition which I thought members would like here - but I didn't know how strong some of you feel regarding certain topics. Now I do, so its hey ho. 

Good luck to you all and keep it a tight community and I'm sure the game will grow.

Thanks for the patronizing post, might i suggest you are doing your cause nothing but harm every single time you post?

• Like 1

Thanks for the patronizing post, might i suggest you are doing your cause nothing but harm every single time you post?

It is hardly patronising, I have basically apologised for not thinking about the views of some individuals before I came here. If you continue to have an agenda against me, that is your own choice. I was merely pointing out that amongst some users against it, there are clearly some people who are pro it.

Also, I wanted to try and help Wurm Grow - both trading wise and community wise. I am not losing anything for an idea that does not / may not happen.

Edited by Virtualtrades

Okay then, if your not affiliated with the auction sites, then theres no need for you to be here posting on these forums because your not a player either. Last I checked being a player of the game was kind of a requirment if you going to go around suggesting changes.

OR you are affiliated with these websites, in witch case I encourage you to stay and show us more of what kind of person you are.

Edited by Steeloxide

Okay then, if your not affiliated with the auction sites, then theres no need for you to be here posting on these forums because your not a player either.

OR you are affiliated with these websites, in witch case I encourage you to stay and show us more of what kind of person you are.

I am not affiliated with them at all.

I have an account on the game itself actually. I have tried to play it, but my mac lags really bad. So I'm trying to sort this issue out. The game seems good and enjoyable to me, regardless of whether anything happens, I would still play the game if I enjoyed it.

Quick Question...  If you want to provide Wurmarians with a safe way to sell/buy Wurm items. Why are we not using eBay vs this Player Auction? They are affiliated with Paypal. They allow digital sales. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

With a quick read it looks like Rolf would just need a clear sticky in the rules section that selling use of is allowed on eBay by players. With a easy to copy/paste paragraph for sellers to use regarding Wurm's  intellectual/copyright property it so people understand that they are buying the use of account/silver/item but it still belongs to Code Club etc. There are many gamer sites available to set up more ad revenue (spell check changed this to revenge lulz) and mentioning that content is available on eBay may actually be a decent selling point.  That wont help with the possibility of a flood of botting accounts but it would be a better bet on safety.

Edited by KryoKitten

Quick Question...  If you want to provide Wurmarians with a safe way to sell/buy Wurm items. Why are we not using eBay vs this Player Auction? They are affiliated with Paypal. They allow digital sales. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

That would be a fantastic idea, KyroKitten, except right at the bottom of that page under "Not allowed" is the following:

Online gaming accounts or artifacts such as characters, currency, or other items in any format

Which sucks, it would have been great otherwise. :(

That would be a fantastic idea, KyroKitten, except right at the bottom of that page under "Not allowed" is the following:

Which sucks, it would have been great otherwise. :(

Crap I totally missed that line... was scanning too fast. Ah well I've made my points. Time for me to step out of the cesspool and back into game.