Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Player Auctions Costly

I don't get it, this site sells things like WoW gold, isn't that illegal or has the ToS changed? We are being strongly recommended to do transactions on a site that sells illegal items in online games?

It is against the terms and conditions of that game yes. There are always people who are looking to buy gold via a "cheaper" means though, so this is why websites like this exist I guess. 

It is against the terms and conditions of that game yes. There are always people who are looking to buy gold via a "cheaper" means though, so this is why websites like this exist I guess. 

So what you're saying is you don't respect blizzards terms and conditions and are unlikely to respect wurms?

I'll be avoiding this whole shady deal like the plague, and quite frankly, so should Code Club.

Edited by Coastis
  • Like 12

So what you're saying is you don't respect blizzards terms and conditions and are unlikely to respect wurms?

I'll be avoiding this whole shady deal like the plague, and quite frankly, so should Code Club.

• Like 1

I think you are mistaking me for someone else, I am just a normal player haha. I use Playerauctions as a means to sell other gold. I am not affiliated with it, in any way.

Wurm is different to the games you mentioned as this game allows you to sell your items. You can make a case of other games selling gold is 'illegal' - but then why do millions of people buy from other sources that are 'illegal'?

The ethics of buying gold against the ToS is a personal decision, doesn't really matter.

The crazy thing is being directed by the Wurm establishment to go to a shady illegal virtual goods site and being told, hey go here - this is safer than buying directly from Aum.

(Any names used in this post are purely fictional and do not represent actual ingame people)

• Like 3

*The following is all from my own personal experience*

As someone with experience using PlayerAuctions (I've bought/sold items and gold in a lot of different MMO's over the years using their service) they are useful for certain trades.

In other games, with less reputable sellers, I wouldn't dare trust someone I met in-game to send them 200e for an item. I'd never see that money again.

I find Wurm to be different though. There are many reputable buyers/sellers here and you can tell at a glance who they are. It might be tough at first to build a reputation, but do a few trades and people will know.

Now, for the main info on PA.

They take quite a large cut, with seemingly no cap. (I've spent $500 at once on there and still paid 10% fee + Paypal Fee)

They REQUIRE Identification for large trades. This means sending them pictures of your ID, whether that is Passports, Utility Bills etc.

(For this reason, I had to break my large trade up into many smaller transactions, I believe they ask for ID after the $200 mark, although that is just an estimation. They asked for this even after having over 100 successful purchases/sales totals to my name. I would not trust sending this info to them.)

Sometimes their transactions 'fail to authorize'. I had to go through Paypal and demand a chargeback from them to get back $150 after they failed to release it back to me. Their customer service is pretty terrible too. I did get the money back, but only after escalating the case with paypal and waiting 2-3 weeks)

All in all, I wouldn't recommend using them with Wurm trades unless trading with a completely unknown person. Most people selling things worth a lot of money will have a reputation on here anyway.

If anyone has any questions about PlayerAuctions, send me a PM...I've used them quite a bit, although to be honest its only because there are no better options. They work quite well, but its costly.

I wouldn't call them shady, they handle a LOT of trades every day and their methods work (mostly). It's just a pain and extra hassle, not to mention sometimes waiting 2-3 days for payments to clear through their systems etc.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 1

I think you are mistaking me for someone else, I am just a normal player haha. I use Playerauctions as a means to sell other gold. I am not affiliated with it, in any way.

Wurm is different to the games you mentioned as this game allows you to sell your items. You can make a case of other games selling gold is 'illegal' - but then why do millions of people buy from other sources that are 'illegal'?

No, i've mistaken no-one, you are what you are, a shady middleman looking to use an even shadier website to leech money from the Wurm players.

• Like 3

No, i've mistaken no-one, you are what you are, a shady middleman looking to use an even shadier website to leech money from the Wurm players.

A middleman lol? Playerauctions isn't my website, I simply use it. Get your facts straight.

All games evolve and sales off this site will happen - whether you like it or not. Off site-trading is what makes games grow.

Also, I'm hardly 'shady', I've probably handled more money than the majority of people here, but that is neither here nor there.

You need to get your facts correct before accusing someone. I saw that Playerauctions had become an affiliate of Wurm, and was offering my personal in-sight of how I have used it and what it is good for, as people were sceptical.

Don't know why I bother when there are idiots like you around.

Edited by Virtualtrades

A middleman lol? Playerauctions isn't my website, I simply use it. Get your facts straight.

All games evolve and sales off this site will happen - whether you like it or not. Off site-trading is what makes games grow.

Also, I'm hardly 'shady', I've probably handled more money than the majority of people here, but that is neither here nor there.

You need to get your facts correct before accusing someone. I saw that Playerauctions had become an affiliate of Wurm, and was offering my personal in-sight of how I have used it and what it is good for, as people were sceptical.

This is the kind of person Code Club wants to associate with, and promote?

Good business practices, and reputation are ALSO about association.

The site sells virtual goods in direct contradiction to many other MMO's TOS.  One does not have to wonder if they are shady...just go look at their website..and see the proof..

Edited by saraie
  • Like 7

I don't know how you expect us to take anyone seriously that has a shiny brand new forum account as of this announcement and calls people names.

• Like 7

I feel that Code Club should stick with their original stance of "We don't promote trading, but we wont punish those who do".

That way, they can wash their hands of it and it is left to the community where and how to trade among themselves, as we have been doing successfully for years.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 6

I'm pretty sure it is quality content that makes games grow, not gold farmers.

Perhaps you have handled more money than most, but i fail to see how this boast vindicates you of shadiness? The shadiness comes from the facts previously mentioned both above by myself and others, most notably that you're happy to defend a site that promotes the breaking of the terms and conditions of many other MMO's and which in doing so could put players accounts at risk. This, is shady.

• Like 6

I won't be using this money grab trading platform sorry.  We could have had an In Game Auction trading system that would have made the game better.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

I don't know how you expect us to take anyone seriously that has a shiny brand new forum account as of this announcement and calls people names.

Calling people names? :S

I am being accused of essentially being 'shady' when I have corresponded with Rolf himself and I was trying to help a few members who don't know much about Playerauctions.

I'm sorry you see someone attempting to help people understand as being 'rude', however if you look above people are accusing me of things where I am simply trying to help people understand - yet that member isn't rude?

I'm pretty sure it is quality content that makes games grow, not gold farmers.

Perhaps you have handled more money than most, but i fail to see how this boast vindicates you of shadiness? The shadiness comes from the facts previously mentioned both above by myself and others, most notably that you're happy to defend a site that promotes the breaking of the terms and conditions of many other MMO's and which in doing so could put players accounts at risk. This, is shady.

Fair enough, sorry for bringing that up then. I am simply giving my opinion of their site - after all it was PASSED by Rolf - and we wouldn't just agree to something if he didn't think it had a benefit for his game and the community?

All I have done is give my opinion and experience of the website, yet I get slated. I am aware that some of you are not pro trading other MMO's and breaking laws - this has nothing to do with me as I was simply giving my opinion on something which was implemented by the website owner.

I am deeply sorry if you got offended, also I'll let people figure it out for themselves. Seems as though trying to help is coming across as "rude".

The funny thing is that this Playerauction thing would have gotten a much better response here if you would have stayed away.

• Like 3

The funny thing is that this Playerauction thing would have gotten a much better response here if you would have stayed away.

And you make the judgement upon what? I'm sorry but I am not becoming the scapegoat for people who think a particular service is not needed.

I was trying to help people understand this development was announced by the website owner, and is not mandatory, just an option for players to consider. He obviously feels that it would help develop his game and his community.

I am sorry for trying to help and explain how Playerauctions actually works.

Edited by Virtualtrades

Fair enough, sorry for bringing that up then. I am simply giving my opinion of their site - after all it was PASSED by Rolf - and we wouldn't just agree to something if he didn't think it had a benefit for his game and the community?

All I have done is give my opinion and experience of the website, yet I get slated. I am aware that some of you are not pro trading other MMO's and breaking laws - this has nothing to do with me as I was simply giving my opinion on something which was implemented by the website owner.

I am deeply sorry if you got offended, also I'll let people figure it out for themselves. Seems as though trying to help is coming across as "rude".

Already invoking Rolfs name to bolster their reputation.

I hope your back does not get sore Rolf from carrying them.

• Like 1

Already invoking Rolfs name to bolster their reputation.

I hope your back does not get sore Rolf from carrying them.

He is not the owner of this website no? He announced the partnership.

I am sure he will make a comment on this when he has time.

For now, I'll stop responding to this as it seems that what I am saying is being taken in the wrong way. Anyhow, I hope you all have fun playing the game!

Assumption, that PayPal side of transaction will be more secured. How some third party can check and prove in game part of transaction? Logs and screenshots are not that hard to fake.

Somehow I do not see such transaction even little bit more secure than on this forum.

This.

I found out. As delivery proof you need to take an ingame screenshot or video, while video is considered a stronger evidence.

Both are accepted though to prove you did your part.

Now to learn how to do that. I have no clue...

Anyone?

Ingame screenshot? So, not Screen Print? *confused look*

I mean, one thing is good, we now have an official confirmation that selling and buying game stuff is encouraged.

I like that! :)

Edited by Smilingcat

He is not the owner of this website no? He announced the partnership.

I am sure he will make a comment on this when he has time.

For now, I'll stop responding to this as it seems that what I am saying is being taken in the wrong way. Anyhow, I hope you all have fun playing the game!

Partnership...Yeah, I figured as much.

This whole interaction with this person, is itself the definition of shady.

No one even needs to go google this company to see their reputation...their "non-spokesman" has spoken volumes.

• Like 3

If is not broken, then better don´t fix it.

Current Wurm trading system is not broken, so I don´t see the need for this fix, and the fees are just a rip off.

My 2 irons.

• Like 3

Well truth is a Wurm ingame auction system is currently far away and I don't see it linked to real money in the initial version because that's a real coding challenge. It may end up far down on the priorities list since there are solutions already.

Player Auctions and other sites like it represent a safe third party with money back guarantee which for instance Ebay does not support for virtual assets. When Wurm grows you may have to do business with people without the kind of seller reputation you can find in the forums today and we don't support seller reputations here. You will also attract and reach their other customers which eventually may mean higher prices for your goods. These sites will of course take comission and it's up to you to decide if you want to use them.

Sites like Player Auctions help by offering order and security in a Wild West situation when it comes to dealing with virtual assets. Virtualtrades is involved in such a website with customers interested in virtual economies just like Player Auctions. The sites don't break any laws as far as I know. I guess breaking a EULA or ToS may be criminal in some countries but to me as a developer it mainly means that I can safely keep people who break them away from those who play fair.

Hopefully more games will allow the sale of ingame assets like we do but for now we are where we are. This may help drive virtual economies and to me that means positive things like a greener planet and more jobs when robots take over.

If these types of sites understand our business model and give the game attention it's good because that might mean more players which means more developers and survivability. So to me it is a no-brainer to suggest you use them. 

It is only a recommendation though. You may of course go on trading in the forums as before. Just saying there may be benefits for everyone in the end and it would be an interesting development.

• Like 1

It is only a recommendation though. You may of course go on trading in the forums as before. Just saying there may be benefits for everyone in the end and it would be an interesting development.

and are they giving you anything out of the endorsement or sales that they take in for wurm? 

Edited by Kegan

The sites don't break any laws as far as I know. I guess breaking a EULA or ToS may be criminal in some countries but to me as a developer it mainly means that I can safely keep people who break them away from those who play fair.

How is this the case when you are endorsing a website that encourages the breaking of Tos/EULA?