Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Recommending Player Auctions

I see what your saying but its really minor compared to some of those comparisons. Comes down to choice in the end you don't want to use it, its personal preference :)

At the end of the day I agree it is, but its something to talk about :) Have a great one! :)

• Like 1

Also I wouldn't like to see this turn into a scapegoat for scammers in our forums, Say now you shoulda used this third party auction place, granting immunity to forum scammers...

• Like 1

Also I wouldn't like to see this turn into a scapegoat for scammers in our forums, Say now you shoulda used this third party auction place, granting immunity to forum scammers...

As I understand it - you can sell goods for real money on this forum right? However, you could sell via Paypal, and a user could 'scam' you by reverting the funds.

With Playerauctions, you could list your account/item on there and sell it - for NO risk at all. You cannot get charge backed. Just make sure you record evidence of delivery, and you are good to go.

As for your forum name, it is different. Playerauctions is a marketplace with many other games - so there is likely to be someone else with your forum name.

As for "Wurm Online" on Playerauctions, they have their own marketplace for this game. Therefore anyone can list there and sell items. There is no correlation between your forum name and Playerauctions - it is a 3rd party website.

No thanks I would rather use the forums and my paypal business account.

• Like 6

As I understand it - you can sell goods for real money on this forum right? However, you could sell via Paypal, and a user could 'scam' you by reverting the funds.

With Playerauctions, you could list your account/item on there and sell it - for NO risk at all. You cannot get charge backed. Just make sure you record evidence of delivery, and you are good to go.

As for your forum name, it is different. Playerauctions is a marketplace with many other games - so there is likely to be someone else with your forum name.

As for "Wurm Online" on Playerauctions, they have their own marketplace for this game. Therefore anyone can list there and sell items. There is no correlation between your forum name and Playerauctions - it is a 3rd party website.

If you have a paypal business account and list in the invoice that it is for digital goods delivered electronically paypal will by their policy not allow chargebacks for the transactions. Happy business!

• Like 4

I don't see why you wouldn't use this for high risk trades with strangers involving real money

• Like 3

I expect higher end game accounts would be sold this way but I doubt coin transactions, drake or sub 150 EUR items would get a shake with the need for the seller to add an extra over head to cover transaction fees especially when it's a buyers market as it is right now. 

• Like 2

What are other benefits of using this service apart from Paypal reverting protection?

Edited by Edvinas

I agree. Playerauctions is a totally legit website. I have been using it for over 2 years now and have sold over $145,000 worth of goods on there.

For those of you who are trading and don't want to trade directly via Paypal (risk of chargebacks) Playerauctions is for you - as you cannot get chargebacked.

I encourage those on my own forums to use Playerauctions for trades for this very reason.

• Like 7

What are other benefits of using this service apart from Paypal reverting protection?

This.

This is exactly the point.  You have no sig, icon, 6 total posts.  Nobody would buy from you here, and now we are being asked to use a new system (sorry, what is wrong with the current one again?) where all accounts with playerauctions are reset at 0 rep and 0 posts/sales.

• Like 1

Dang. I was hoping this was to announce the implementation of some sort of in game auction system.

• Like 3

What exactly is Wurm itself getting out of this deal are they even making anything off this? This seems like another attempt like the Bitcoin thing was and i think will have the same results. 

• Like 2

Who are you?

Not a player right...

Here to promote your own 3rd party site...

BE GONE I tell you.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I see a lot of great feedback here, as well as concerns which I feel are perfectly reasonable. First off, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Jacob Aldaco, and I have been involved in MMOs since... 2005 I suppose? It was WoW that brought me in (no judgement please  :P ), then I moved to EVE, STO, ESO, and a lot of others. I've been at PlayerAuctions 2008, and was originally hired as Quality Control in the Customer Support Team. From CS, I moved on to Communications, then to Marketing, then to heading the int'l MarCom Dept, to Business Development, to finally the position where I am running PA and all it's subsidiary offices around the world. 

PA has a long and storied history. I don't believe I need to say much about the secondary market/RMT industries, except to say that we have been around since 2000. Next year is our 15 year anniversary. I can't think of another company in this space that has been around this long  B) . There are reasons for our longevity, the primary reason of which is that we support a player's right to trade, as well as the sophisticated risk management systems we have. 

I'll answer a few questions I've seen so far. I hope I'm welcome here, I could have sent someone else to represent PA, but I thought it would be better for myself to make an appearance and engage with the community.

Why a separate site?

PlayerAuctions was built in mind to support publishers, so we have the tools available for integration, etc. etc. Going that route however takes time, cost, and reception is unknown. The way we are choosing to do the roll out allows for the following:

- PlayerAuctions becomes an option. Had we done full integration, it would have come as quite a surprise, but this way, players can chose direct trades, or to secure their trades on PA. 

- It also allows PA to gather user feedback to know and understand all the nuanced ways we can support Wurm and its user base. 

Another reason why partnering with us is a good idea, is because:

A secondary market is not an easy thing to manage, develop, and operate. There is only one other company who has done a secondary market: Blizzard (Diablo 3). And even then, they charged users 30%. 

PlayerAuctions has been in business for 15 years. We have special payment relationships not just with PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, and other payment processors, but we also have a merchant acquiring bank sponsor which allows us to do direct credit card billing. Anyone in business who knows, will tell you just how difficult it is to get an acquiring merchant account. Our banking relationships allows us to maintain our fees between 12% - 15%, half of Blizzard's fees

We have expertise in digital asset trading. In fact, we have fraud loss rates that are below 0.2%, and this is something we are proud of. 

We have full operations set up, including IT, Finance, Marketing, Customer Support, etc. etc.

Partnering with PlayerAuctions allows Code Club better use of their time to code, develop, enhance, and support Wurm Online. Trust me, you don't want Rolf spending his days dealing with payment processors, handling botched trades, fixing charge back issues, etc. etc. Instead, you want us to handle the trades, customer support, and maybe throw our marketing muscle at Wurm to help it grow and flourish. Right?  :wub:  :wub:

While people may think that PA is a penthouse operation, where everyone drives lambhorghinis, quite the opposite is true. Not only is it complicated and time intensive to manage and develop, but PA only has margins in the 10% range. We're not lining our pockets, as some might think. We are gamings, with vast experience in this space, and love filling a need for users.

Our main mantra (and this is probably why Rolf and I are of such like minds), is that there is great benefit when you allow gamers to ascribe value to their gameplay. What Rolf and Code Club are doing... I am so immensely excited about it. Don't think of PA as some "third party site" out of nowhere, but think of us as advocates for users like you who recognize the freedom and value in being able to buy and sell on secondary markets.  

Why PlayerAuctions?

First, PlayerAuctions feels like a start-up (there are only about 50 of us on the team), but we have capital backing by our larger sister companies (ask if you're interested). The start-up element is good, because it means you have executives (like myself) who come down to ground level and talk to the user base, and also means that we are flexible and nimble enough to really accept user feedback and act on it. 

Second, is that we are big supporters of a gamer's right to trade. But more importantly, we feel it should be done with finesse and security in mind. A large portion of our fees goes back into the system of protecting you guys. 

Third, we have support globally for a huge number of countries. We also have loads of payment options beyond PayPal and Xsolla, including Bitcoin

Fourth, because our systems are so good at controlling fraud, if in the rare instance it does occur, PlayerAuctions will absorb that fraud, so that the honest trader isn't affected (be it payment fraud... the seller still gets paid, or seller/item fraud... the buyer will still get a refund). Remember what I said about that 10% being funneled back into the system to protect you guys? Trade at PA, something bad happens, we'll take care of it for you.  ^_^

What about the future? It's redundant to make a separate account, separate feedback, etc. etc.

Yes, its redundant. But as I said before, doing a minimal viable launch keeps the user option element in place (i.e. PA is not mandatory). But as we progress in the future, we'll be able to easily add integration, merging reputation, etc. etc. For now, tell us what you like about the platform, and tell us of any extra cool things you'd like us to support you on (sponsoring in-game events? sponsoring competitions? hosting in-game events? You name it). 

What about existing Wurm history?

We'll be working together with Rolf to prevent known and existing scammers from taking advantage of using PA. 

One thing to note about PlayerAuctions is it's sophisticated risk management systems. Our systems plug into security networks which assign scores to users based on transactional history, phone reputation, email reputation, device ID reputation, etc. etc. So if any future scammers come through the PA system, we will have a large capacity to provide Rolf the means to prevent those users back into the Wurm ecosystem. 

Pretty good ya?

Conclusions:

There is tons more I can say, but I won't jump the gun. Feel free to engage with me guys. I'm allotted my time to engage with the Wurm Community, and to support this game to the fullest.

~jake

(feel free to connect with me: http://cn.linkedin.com/in/jacobaldaco/) 

• Like 2

Thanks for replying personally, Jake! One thing you said that concerned me--

A secondary market is not an easy thing to manage, develop, and operate. There is only one other company who has done a secondary market: Blizzard (Diablo 3). And even then, they charged users 30%.

I don't think this is quite accurate. I know DotA 2(Valve) has an extensive player to player market for cosmetics. Doesn't Team Fortress 2 have the same?

Hehe, he's a brand new account here on the forums made today to promote this playerauction website. That alone will raise a lot of red flags. :)

Actually, VirtualTrades is one community who has worked with us in the past. We don't own them, and they don't work for us. They approached us long ago, because their community experienced issues with scammers, and whatnot. So they asked us to come in and clean things up, which we did. 

I've told the owner at Virtualtrades that PA will be supporting Wurm Online since the game is very much pro-secondary markets. His users would love this discovery, and at the end of the day, this may mean that more people will be playing Wurm and the family size will grow. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Wurm online Jake! I hope that your settling in well and that you've started to secure your deed. While the idea of player auctions is nice, Many of the players of Wurm feel that we don't really need it.

Wurm is a small community, though we may have some disagreements, we generally do business dealings openly and fairly. Any mistakes that people make will quickly become common knowledge and because of our small community, have a very good personal reputation system, either through what people see on the forums or what we hear from other players. People that cause problems generally are not around long enough to cause alot of damage.

I look forward to see how this goes.

Thanks for replying personally, Jake! One thing you said that concerned me--

I don't think this is quite accurate. I know DotA 2(Valve) has an extensive player to player market for cosmetics. Doesn't Team Fortress 2 have the same?

Darthryan,

Actually, you are correct. Those two games also have in-house marketplaces. I only mentioned Blizzard because Diablo 3 was the closest thing to an MMO.

Dota as an MOBA is something I forget about often, but Valve is a big enough company to be able to pull off development and management of a secondary market. 

TF2 has their trading system through STEAM if I'm not mistaken, again a very large company to pull this off. 

And if you want to be uber accurate, Sony's Everquest games also have secondary markets, however Sony, a large company chose to outsource this with Livegamer (not sure if they still do). I'm not entirely sure about Livegamer, because our internal data shows that many EQ users prefer PA over the Livegamer system, even though that one is "official". I'm not sure why that is (honestly). 

Welcome to Wurm online Jake! I hope that your settling in well and that you've started to secure your deed. While the idea of player auctions is nice, Many of the players of Wurm feel that we don't really need it.

Wurm is a small community, though we may have some disagreements, we generally do business dealings openly and fairly. Any mistakes that people make will quickly become common knowledge and because of our small community, have a very good personal reputation system, either through what people see on the forums or what we hear from other players. People that cause problems generally are not around long enough to cause alot of damage.

I look forward to see how this goes.

Thank you so much for the welcome. People may judge me for saying this... but I am a Mac user. That being said, you can't know my joy when I realized that Wurm is indeed compatible with Mac. 

So, YES... I will be in-game soon. I actually started the client download when I left the office today at my work computer, and I will be letter it download on my personal computer tonight when I sleep.

I honestly haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. Sandbox games are fantastic for so many reasons (in the future, I may share some internal data on sandbox games, and how they related to secondary markets, very interesting stuff). I have played EVE for years, so I look forward to getting involved in a Sandbox set in a fantasy type world. 

Any noobie tips you can offer? 

If you have a paypal business account and list in the invoice that it is for digital goods delivered electronically paypal will by their policy not allow chargebacks for the transactions. Happy business!

How sure are you on that? Like I said I've dealt with tonnes of paypal claims throughout the past two years - and EVERYTHING can be reverted - Business account or no business account.

Any noobie tips you can offer? 

Buy from reputable players in game, and you should be fine.

• Like 12

This is exactly the point.  You have no sig, icon, 6 total posts.  Nobody would buy from you here, and now we are being asked to use a new system (sorry, what is wrong with the current one again?) where all accounts with playerauctions are reset at 0 rep and 0 posts/sales.

That is because I signed up today. If you want proof of my Playerauctions account - I can show you. I also own my own virtual selling forum.

I did not either say that my rep externally would mean anything either. I was simply saying how safe and easy it is to use Playerauctions. No one mentioned anything about 'buying from me here'.

No one is asking you to use a new system. It is in place for those who want to use it I presume. Why would rep on Playerauctions mean anything? We all have to start somewhere.

Edited by Virtualtrades

Who are you?

Not a player right...

Here to promote your own 3rd party site...

BE GONE I tell you.

I saw Wurm Online a few days ago, I have actually downloaded it and I'm looking into playing it. These kind of games confuse me, so bare with me.

So no, you are totally wrong.

An interesting alternative to make available for player sales of characters, silver/gold coins and higher priced items all for RL currency in exchange. Since personally I don't believe in selling these items for RL currency or am I interested in purchasing them (outside of coins from the Wurm Shop), I will have no use for this service.

As Gnomegates posted, one of the first things that caught my eye is that they are WoW gold sellers. Having played that game for many years and knowing well WoW's policy against this, as well as the despised reputation of those who do so, that immediate taint was associated with their website. Then I saw some note of +5% for "Powerleveling Order Surcharge" and I am a bit further concerned. This site might offer "Powerleveling" of Wurm character accounts then?

Still, I suppose that for those who wish to make a profit from playing the game of Wurm Online, since the main objective will be that, other concerns are subordinated to that end result.

Good luck with your latest endorsed association here Rolf. Perhaps just another sky is falling post from me and all will work out well in the end. This may have the ability to draw more players to the game, increasing income to further sustain and expand its possibilities, so in that respect there may be some end benefit beyond the play for profit motivations. As in all things new, only time will tell.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=