Sign in to follow this  
Wargasm

Rolf- Xanadu Ore Distribution Still Not Right

Rolf,

The redistribution of ore on Xanadu was a giant leap in the right direction, but ore distribution is still a problem because it's still concentrated on the previous ore fields.

As you now know, the "ore fields" (such as the silver field around Glasshollow) were very densely populated with silver (and a few iron) veins.  The change that you made redistributed unexposed silver veins to the rest of Xanadu.  The veins became iron, instead of silver, and the location of existing veins did not change, although the resource that you acquire from mining them did.

The result, is that the veins in general did not change location at all.  Therefore, if your deed is/was situated on an ore field, you are still on an ore field (now of various ores instead of one) and your local neighbor, who may not have been on the ore field, still has 3-5 veins in his 30x30 deed, maybe one of them is no longer iron, and that's IF he didn't find and expose them.

Let me illustrate further.  Here's an example, a prospected copper mine near Summerholt:

xt6ZhNX.jpg

As you can see, drastic difference between the two.  In the roughly 17x17 prospected area, there exists veins of every resource except marble in this particular mine.  Now if this was my mine, I'd be very happy to have this for an on-deed mine. 

This mine has 28 veins in a 17x17 area.  That's 28 out of 289 tiles, or 10% resources.

Any mine that wasn't previously on an ore field has 4-6 veins in any given 17x17 area if they are lucky.  This comes out to 2% resources... very different from those that were fortunate enough to deed on top of an ore field.

Rolf, please consider adding more resource veins to Xanadu.  Do not simply switch the resources from one existing vein to another, add more veins (like you did when you added iron veins shortly after launch) so that people might have something other than iron in their 5-vein mines.

Thanks for reading,

Wargasm

• Like 7

That was a lot of copper ore veins to start with in that mine. :o

In my mine I definitely see new veins introduced and not just old ones "reconfigured". That or my prospecting (analyzing) must have done a leap to a new tile range. I certainly hope my two yet unexposed utmost iron veins are still intact...

Thanks for bringing this up, War. I was wondering how this restack was done, and no one seemed to be saying much about it.

I am going to have to wander over to my copper deed near you and see what the changes are.

Where do you get your facts exactly?

I'm almost 100% sure I've gotten several new veins where there were none previously... 

Thats War's mine on Xanadu, the first one is what he mined to and found since last June.

The second one is how it looks after the redistribution.

So the information comes from actually looking at what he had before and what he has now.

I know because I have seen the mine layout before on paper.

I agree with War. The change was very good and much needed, but still there are areas that had no ore field before the patch that are still nothing but vast fields of rock.

Rolf, please consider adding more resource veins to Xanadu.  Do not simply switch the resources from one existing vein to another, add more veins (like you did when you added iron veins shortly after launch) so that people might have something other than iron in their 5-vein mines.

Only add veins in areas that aren't already densely populated. I'm sure they could come up with a vein density metric and only add  where its low. Also, iron should have a very high probability of existing in these devoid areas. Existing doesn't mean densely packed either.

Where do you get your facts exactly?

I'm almost 100% sure I've gotten several new veins where there were none previously... 

I cannot confirm that no veins in the after map were not originally rock tiles.  I did not have the presence of mind to save the old revision without editing over it.

I had two secondary deeds just for the uncommon veins under them.  have not had the time to mine all of them out yet, lost my only silver and zinc veins as they turned into iron.  Not sure why existing veins were changed around, would have made more sense to change some rock to what ever veins the devs wanted more of.

• Like 1

I cannot confirm that no veins in the after map were not originally rock tiles.  I did not have the presence of mind to save the old revision without editing over it.

Ok, was just checking if you had some other source of info as well. Your picture of course strongly suggests that your interpretation is right. 

I do think some rock tiles have been converted as well, but I can't be sure because I didn't take notes of my undiscovered veins. I have areas of pure rock also though, that are still just rock. 

I'm not sure what I think, but I have after this update pretty much all possible ores within a pretty small area. Very generous, but maybe a bit too easy?

nice job wargasm..what i particularly like about this post is..he didn't just complain and leave it a that..finding solutions always harder..what he did instead..was state a problem or deficiency and demonstrated  a fully thought out and analyzed graphical representation.  this shows more effectively what may have gone wrong and gives pointers towards how to perhaps fix more optimally.  Dev team and Rolf gotta love when someone takes the time in this manner to highlight a weak point in the game.  If I on that end i'd field these all day long rather than the  ..this is broken or dumb or..there are no ores yadda yadda

• Like 3