Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Change to Rare Coin Drops

I'm anticipating a future problem with the coin drop system: domestic animals have double the chance to drop coins, which sounds good, though in reality may encourage mass breeding to farm coins. If the goal is to reduce domestic animal stock hoarding, I'd suggest removing ANY coin drops from bred animals. Leave it as is for a few weeks, encouraging people to kill off excess animals, then remove it.

If the goal of the "double coins for domestic creatures" is something else entirely, this suggestion is obviously pointless.

The coin drops from killing off domesticated animals doesn't really "pay" as far as rare coin drops -- you'd make more off the leather and meat than the actual coin droppage. 

I am also fine with removing or changing the rare cion drops because I don't think it is actually a profitable reason to breed and raise animals -- but it certainly does encourage culling.   

• Like 1

Personally, I think the opposite will happen, I may be wrong however.

I'd see people keeping very few animals (except a lot of females.....hmm that may be a issue) because they'd have to constantly kill them.  and they'd have to know more importantly WHEN to....

I doubt it will even work for 99% of the people that do it, in hopes of making coin.  People may try for a month or two, just to realize it's not how they think. lol

On a side note, I really like how they added it to foraging / botonizing.  I really want to see these skills (along with alchemy) grow, and in my opinion, this was a "cool" (maybe not healthy, then again maybe) addition to it.  I'd LOVE to see more things like this! (even to mining/digging for that matter) 

Well *I* like it because it adds another viable activity to the game than "weaponsmith, Vynora priest enchanting, account selling and trader herder" and gives even the newest players a way to participate in the "economic recirculating of silver"  without going crazy from sitting in a shack chipping at bricks for 90 days. It probably pays less well per day than bricks and mortar but its also less grindy and boring.  It should help the economy because those players are not going to cash out their 43 coppers for euros, they are going to run off and buy a cheap discount set of 40Q chainmail and a fancy 50Q longsword.  The cheapest set they can find, most likely, which helps our "middleclass" strata of crafters the most (the ones who don't have 90 in a skill yet, and have been told their wares are pretty much useless  till they grind up to 90 because anyone who buys silver buys only the best gear with it. 

It gives the game a literal breath of fresh air from the stuffy unhealthy "backroom" systems of the past for "circulating silver to improve the economy" which was only circulating it within a very tiny sphere of players. Everyone else got to make bricks for the manisons of the rich and hope that, one day, they too could afford to milk traders instead.

Everyone wants to scramble to the top of the mountain, but I happen to LIKE the fact that we are encouraging people to skip through the meadows as well. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 6

From the early reports of how many people found coins on things in the recent two days, I have a nagging feeling that the coin drops are simply too frequent.

To me, a "rare" coin means that once in a while you'll find something. But so many people found coins already!

I am not saying remove the system, but I think it may have to be nerfed a bit. :)

I guess it's really too soon for me to be saying anything about it :P I'm sure numbers will be tweaked over the next few weeks at least.

It's a new feature, so everyone and their brother wanted to try it and tell everyone about the shinies they found. What you aren't hearing much of is the people that spend an hour and got nothing. Give it a week or a month and it will be old news.

From the early reports of how many people found coins on things in the recent two days, I have a nagging feeling that the coin drops are simply too frequent.

To me, a "rare" coin means that once in a while you'll find something. But so many people found coins already!

I am not saying remove the system, but I think it may have to be nerfed a bit. :)

As someone that killed a lot of creatures in the past days, butchered and sold the corpses along with all low ql bits I have to disagree.

So far I got zilch rare coins.

In fact I think it needs a rebalance instead of a nerfing.

Right now its just tied to the luck factor, someone forage a tile and get a silver coin, then another one kill half server creature population and gets nothing. So is not a fair distribution.

At least with traders system people have to make an initial investment/effort to get a revenue, now its just pure luck, makes no sense at all.

You know, it seems you can get better chances of getting a rare coin when standing on the NW corner of a tile...

Killed 20 domesticated animals to clear it out, then probably 150 sheep/cats/wolves/chickens/cows/bison/bears that got in my way or attacked me while afk.

Still nada.

From a Lore perspective it would make more sense if we got the Rare Coin in the item pile when we Butcher.

Everyone knows that domestic animals compared to wildlife, have a double chance in real life to swallow a rare coin by mistake.

Now I realllllly want goats.

Imagine what you could find in their stomachs when you butcher them.