Meditation skill gains  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Meditation skill gain changes

• leave it the way it is, random gains and move 10 tiles apart
    • always gain skill, no need to move tiles
    • always gain, move 10 tiles
    • random gains, no need to move tiles
    • dont care

I had a thought to get the hardcore, and those window of oppertunity players to accept a 4 times easier meditation grind.

The day they change the meditation to be more easier, a skill check would be done on all charachters, and a once in a life time reward would been giviing by the gods for your devotion based on the current skill.

Example

Like of u have 50+ skill u get Drake Hide Helmet to wear in cold weather while meditsting

If u have 70+ skill u get a Dragon Scale Helmet

If u r 90+ u get a T-Shirt sent to you IRL that says "Meditate in Wurm to find the answers of life man"

http://www.freemeditation.com/meditation-basics/

1.) Meditation is not religious

2.) You are not guaranteed to benefit from the act every time you perform it.

3.) 30ql normal meditation rug still returns the best results for me.

4.) Meditation is a sub-skill of Nature. My guess would be that a higher Nature skill may play a role in a successful meditation. (Mine is 60)

In "my opinion", Rolf did a great job with this one. "Again, minus the 10 tiles thing." :)

My best guess is he was trying to incorporate the need to travel/discover new areas or performing actions into the skill. (If so, perhaps it would have been better achieved by checking "Distance moved and/or actions performed" between meditation attempts.)

Maybe the moving around is another anti-macroing attempt just like moving around the menu-items is (annoying while having no impact for what it was meant for)?

Edited by Kianga

Actually forcing you to move 10 tiles actually allows you to have some control over when your skill tick will trigger and can help you to save your sb by allowing you to trigger it when you are ready as a player with other stuff to do around your deed, not just when 30 minutes have passed since the last tick and you want to meditate again. I know that a lot of people under 20 meditating it's "wasting their time" to force them to move around but once you only trigger the skill every 30 minutes, well, it allows you to make sure you don't accidentally trigger it by allowing to have a safe meditation 10 tile radius zone where you can't accidentally trigger it without you sb on. Because believe me, you will miss the high skill gain at lower level so using your sb optimally is always a plus.

Why would you accidentally trigger it? Well....

I have 93.77+ med, and this is my meditating "on deed" routine:

_meditate on a 1ql normal rug with a 101 botd on a non-special tile (my personal experience is that i get skill ticks more often on non-special tiles and it's pretty obvious to me because 90% of my deed is power special tiles) with my sb on.

_do some grinding on some other skills (lockpicking on the locked cart next to the meditation spot, yoyo while walking around and a few timed skill like puppeteering) until i can turn the sb off.

_go immediately to a power tile 10 tiles away to get my food refresh tick on a 90+ql supreme and maybe my question (so i can fail the level 16th one again!)

_keep meditating in that area where i "meditated recently" for food or the question without accidentally triggering the skill tick by accident and wasting it on a special tile.

_move back to the non-special spot for a skill meditating with sb on when i am ready and not when i just want more food.

I get one to three 0.00694 gain tick per day out of 5 skill meditations per day*, i have constant 99% nutrition and i never ever eat and rarely ever sac for high nutrition (only when i forgot to meditate because i stayed afk for too long).

*versus near to nothing when i only meditate on special tiles. I compared several methods (tile types, rug qls) over the years by meditating one specific way for a month and i am now gaining nearly nothing when i try to only meditatie on special tiles (except the occasional pathetic food tick skillgain) versus at least 0.013+ per day on non-specials.

So do not get ride of the "move 10 tiles" if you aren't making the skillgain "always gain" because it prevents people with decent 80+ skill to actually control when we will get the skill ticks or not and it's already random enough, you don't need to force a strict "first meditation tick on the first tick 30 minutes after the last med" window to a grind that's already time consuming. It's just going to make it horrible for you at higher level and prevent you to actually use the only ability worth a damn with that grind: free food.

Edited by Serpentarius

_do some grinding on some other skills (lockpicking on the locked cart next to the meditation spot, yoyo while walking around and a few timed skill like puppeteering) until i can turn the sb off.

Actually what I do is log off for 5 minutes, SB won't be wasted and when I get back I can med on the same tile if I want to. Tho, I don't use those refresh things med give... 

Actually what I do is log off for 5 minutes, SB won't be wasted and when I get back I can med on the same tile if I want to. Tho, I don't use those refresh things med give... 

I know but i'd rather use that sb on skill with a time limit timer like lock-picking. And btw logging off also reset the "you last meditated in that area" thing too, if you want to ignore it and you don't have to wait out of the game for 5 minutes, just to be logged off. The thing with the refresh med ticks is that you can basically get free food one or two time while you play a 2-3 hours without having to worry about wasting your ticks thanks to the "you already meditated there" thing, stop playing and come back a few hours later in the same uptime day and do your skill ticks like if you didn't at all meditated before. Removing the "10 tiles" limit may seem like a good idea but it just force you to use your skill-ticks on a really specific schedule (you meditated for a tick 30 minutes ago, you have to use your sb and a skillrug next time or you are wasting a tick) and when you are at high skill, the gain is soooo low but you can use meditating for food not just skill and you can optimize the actual skill tick with sb on your own schedule without worrying thanks to the 10 tiles limit. Without the 10 tiles limit, it will feel even more of a random terrible grind where you can waste even more ticks if you aren't careful.

TL;DR version: don't remove the 10 tiles limit if you don't want crazy med people to go even more crazy.

Edited by Serpentarius

I know but i'd rather use that sb on skill with a time limit timer like lock-picking. And btw logging off also reset the "you last meditated in that area" thing too, if you want to ignore it and you don't have to wait out of the game for 5 minutes, just to be logged off. The thing with the refresh med ticks is that you can basically get free food one or two time while you play a 2-3 hours without having to worry about wasting your ticks thanks to the "you already meditated there" thing, stop playing and come back a few hours later in the same uptime day and do your skill ticks like if you didn't at all meditated before. Removing the "10 tiles" limit may seem like a good idea but it just force you to use your skill-ticks on a really specific schedule and when you are at high skill, the gain is soooo low, if you can optimize it with sb on your own schedule, it feels even more of a random terrible grind where you can waste ticks if you aren't careful.

Yeah, I guess that I barely care of refresh is why I do log off. Well, in mycellium here so it isalways 98% nutrition :) I just hate that moving means it will interrupt whatever I am doing. Not to disagree how you play it, it actually give me insights of possibilities so I just going to tell how I do it too ^_^. Thanks!

Edited by rosedragon

.... maybe my question (so i can fail the level 16th one again!)...

Wait.. what.. level 16 question?

Oh and yeah.. meditation is fine as it is. :)

Because of the amount of time I usually have I only bother to do one meditate a day now and occasionally, maybe once a fortnight do a second, been that way for the last eighteen months. I'm slowly but reasonably consistently progressing through the 80's in meditating.

So from me a -1, its working as intended.

The super long no luck runs may be a bug but more likely to be one of Rolfs more unforgiving RNG routines. It sort of reminds me when starting out trying to make something difficult and the chance said 25% and after two dozen straight fails swearing and walking away saying 25% ..... no way... NO WAY...

Edited by Gaeron

It's great as it is. Every skill has random chances of skillgain except faith gains, I don't know why anyone thinks it's a problem for meditation.

It's great as it is. Every skill has random chances of skillgain except faith gains, I don't know why anyone thinks it's a problem for meditation.

Its problem for impatient players

It's just going to make it horrible for you at higher level and prevent you to actually use the only ability worth a damn with that grind: free food.

Wait, Rolf upped the nutrition from 50 to 99 from meditation refresh tick?

Wait, Rolf upped the nutrition from 50 to 99 from meditation refresh tick?

It doesn't change nutrition anymore, at least not for me.  It just fills water/food, so if you had 99% nut, it'd just stay as such

• Like 2

The moving feels entirely unnecessary, but the random gains are fine.

Overall skill gain should not change, ticks should be way smaller but every times, when meditated correctly. 

The random gains are a joke imho.... once spent over three weeks without a single tick... around the time i said %#!"$ it and switched from knowledge to love.

This is an old post, but I'm a fairly new player, and I came on this forum just to talk about this issue.  

I've been a practicing Buddhist for 28 years.  My parents were Buddhists.  I'm fairly familiar with other forms of Buddhism and other traditional forms of meditation, like yoga, as well.  I know A LOT about meditation.  I like to role play when I play games, and this whole moving the meditation rug down the trail thing interrupts the feeling of being in the role.  It doesn't make any sense at all.  No one I've ever known in all my life who regularly meditates as a practice, like daily, the way you're supposed to if you're serious about it, moves their meditation spot every time they meditate.  In fact, you're supposed to establish a particular place where you meditate that is quiet and permits introspection without diversion.  Mystics for ages have even gone into seclusion in caves to meditate for hours a day, and people still go out of their way to do that sort of thing.  If you need to move from place to place, you're not really meditating.  You're just contemplating your surroundings.  Real meditation is a process of looking deep within yourself and bringing forward the best of what's within you, not utilizing your surroundings to make you feel better.  It's internally focused, not externally focused.  In fact, the whole point is to be able to establish a condition within yourself that doesn't succumb to the buffeting waves of the external world.   So moving the rug doesn't make sense, and it simply doesn't feel right.  It doesn't feel like meditating.  It feels like you must be just putting down a rug where you can sit and admire your surroundings, which isn't what traditional meditation is (and doesn't yield the same result, either, by the way).    

Edited by Lovely_Rita
  • Like 8

Meditation is well worth the effort as is, no need to make it easier

Given you can only level so few times a day, it really would make sense to gain a tick every time (much like prayer), but keep all other existing requirements.

Edited by Gollum

In fact, the whole point is to be able to establish a condition within yourself that doesn't succumb to the buffeting waves of the external world.

I liked your post and I completely agree with you about how meditation really works.

Unfortunately logic has no place in this game.

• Like 2

http://www.freemeditation.com/meditation-basics/

1.) Meditation is not religious

2.) You are not guaranteed to benefit from the act every time you perform it.

3.) 30ql normal meditation rug still returns the best results for me.

4.) Meditation is a sub-skill of Nature. My guess would be that a higher Nature skill may play a role in a successful meditation. (Mine is 60)

In "my opinion", Rolf did a great job with this one. "Again, minus the 10 tiles thing." :)

My best guess is he was trying to incorporate the need to travel/discover new areas or performing actions into the skill. (If so, perhaps it would have been better achieved by checking "Distance moved and/or actions performed" between meditation attempts.)

+1 on change to the meditation system.

-1 cause its going to change the value of my account because of it.

SOTG really should be in its own class or something, like any paths having to do with meditation, should be disabled if that player is a priest or something. like, you cant be both a priest and use the meditation paths.

Saved for posterity. This thread isn't about shield of the gone or even the paths or their individual abilities. It's about the ridiculous skill gain system with it's multiple hard and soft caps on gain. It's rubbish.

Make gains guaranteed and cut tick size in half. The cool down and randomness with no ability to retry is terrible, and the two minute timer would still be terrible even if you could retry.