Sign in to follow this  
Bloodscythe

hedges decay off deed

I'd like to suggest hedges decay off deed like any other fence.  I realized it's not technically a fence yet it become very problematic to remove if off deed and permantly  remains unless catapulted down.  this makes it hard for many players to live with them as they restrict terraforming like a fence.   it's one of the few things you can easily do in wurm that has very lasting consequences long after the player who plants them moves on.

would be interesting to hear others perspectives 

• Like 4

according to wiki:  

• Pruning hedge to medium or low length before bashing increase the damage tremendously. (tested with 10ql rose hedges, 4 damage before prune, 40 damage after)

I have not tested myself to see if that makes them pretty "flimsy" to destroy. I know one of Othob's suggestions to take decayed deeds "back to nature" also included some way to get rid of hedges, so maybe it is a lot more difficult in practice than wiki makes it sound. Otherwise I'd rather not have them decay offdeed as I just installed a bunch as part of an area beautification (again they are easy for anyone to actually pass through -- prune then step through)  I like them MUCH better than stone or wood fences as they blend in nicer to the surrounding grass and trees and you can still get through them if you are determined, so people cannot really use them to "claim" offdeed areas. Gathering enough of the right kind of sprouts is also quite  time consuming but also somehow very satisfying.  I never realized they caused longterm problems for an area after an area has been abandoned .... if they are not very "ecologically friendly" and become a permanent blight to an area then I guess I reluctantly have to agree with you.

Or just make them super super SUPER flimsy to remove with a sickle?

If they do change it to decay then I hope there is likewise added a way added to repair and improve them and make them more like regular fences. I spent weeks getting them to all grow in so would be disappointing if they all decayed away in a couple weeks.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Nah,  Make them go to different ages that you need to prune them, And if you don't, they go to shriveled and die eventually.  Have the hedge stages last based on QL of the hedge.

It shouldn't be a stupid rate though, were you need to take care of them every 2 weeks.

They are easy enough to destroy. The reason one chooses them over a fence or wall is because they do not decay and look more natural.

• Like 3

They do bash very quickly once you prune them to the smallest stage. total of 5minutes max to remove one off deed.

• Like 1

I hasn't do it for long but if I remember, either sickle or scissor can bash even 50ql in less than 10 hits... mmmm, real tempted to test this >.< 

yah..the way to do it is for sure prune down to lowest level stage then catapult yet still when there are 30 or more tiles of them..it gets a bit crazy with catapult of like 5 launches a piece

Sickles seem to have a hefty damage bonus for them. But yes, I think they should eventually die off-deed. Or, i all honesty, I'd much rather see them be very much weaker as a wall, and thus easier to damage, than to see them start to decay.

Edited by Othob Rithol

since you can never repair nor improve hedges, it would mean hedges were now useless off deed which seems somewhat a shame given the time and effort to collect materials and wait for them to grow.  I would much rather that some of the abandoned deeds around me had used hedges instead of the wood and stone fences that are still there six and even nine months later. And for me, even with a low quality sickle,  they were tons easier to remove than a decayed stone fence using a Large Maul, or wood fence using a Huge Axe.  It sounds like catapults, mauls and axes are not the tool of choice for dealing with them. I'd personally rather see damage from sickles escalated even more, than to make them basically useless unless on an active deed. 

Or -- make them similar to flowerbeds. Flowerbeds offdeed do take damage but very slowly, and you can reverse the damage by periodically watering  them.  I have lost offdeed flowerbeds before through neglect, and lots faster than seems to happen with stone/wood fencing.  Abandoned hedges would then die in time but if someone were actively taking care of them (not an hour a week, plz) then they can remain. Like Druidnature's suggestion on "ages for hedges" -- I prune my oaks already to keep them from dying (yes I know they resprout but then 6 months to get them mature again) and that sort of same time frame seems reasonable.  Maybe a good pruning or trim every 8-10 weeks and they are back to good as new (pruning = shortened and have to regrow), but if neglected and never tended they decay overall faster than stone/wood fences. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

yah maybe a good solution is..ability to damage them more easily with sickle after pruning down..so they can otherewise remain until desired to remove.  was thinking out loud and wanted to get a pulse for how others felt about off deed hedges

• Like 1

hedges repair themselves if you hitted them and dont destroy them.

but the real problem is not the dmg you do to hedges but the dmg the hedges does to your weapon,which is ridiculously huge.

• Like 2

One hit with a huge axe to a pruned down, off deed hedge at 80+ql gave 70 dmg. On the second hit, it dropped.

IMO, I see no need for a change with these things. They're fine as they are (and easier to remove than a planted sign that's off deed).

• Like 2

No way hedges should decay! They are growing items like trees, only they stop at their highest growth stage. They are not planted walls or fencing. They can be pruned down to pass over them, so are not really secure like fencing.

The OP's problem is with removing them off deed which should be addressed as destroying them, not with decay. Also, it seems this has already been changed significantly by making them much easier to destroy if pruned down to the lowest height before doing so. This must have been a more recent change over the months, since I distinctly remember a time when pruning them before hand had no effect on damage done.

As to the tool used for doing this, a sickle is weak in comparison to a huge axe, which I have found to be the most effective one to use to destroy them. It will wreak a large amount of damage on even an 80QL huge axe though. With removing a row of hedges off deed I have reduced the QL to under 20; but, I didn't prune them down beforehand, remembering from the past that this had no effect. I am only sure that on deed tiles with a mayor destroying that they will break in 1 or 2 hits depending upon hedge quality.

=Ayes=

They are easy enough to destroy. The reason one chooses them over a fence or wall is because they do not decay and look more natural.

^

Just leave them as they are but enable "cut down" action on them just like a normal tree / bush.

• Like 5

I rather like the lavender hedges lining my road.  Since priests cannot repair...

-1!

Just here to revive this movement.  Hedges should really decay off deed.  There are so many abandoned places that are littered with hedges that at some point must have made sense.  Now they are just an eyesore that are a huge PITA to remove.  Hedges are nothing more than a type of wall/fence, so why should it be treated any different?

Edited by Aaron_IRL

+1  I had a place on old ele that I was removing to allow more travel / not look like crap and there was like 100 hedges.  Pruning them 3 times then having to bash as well?  When all the walls around it were just decaying? pls

Some means of overtime decay would be very nice as already mentioned, especially offdeed.

Also I would like to be able to "improve" hedges in some manner using Prune and then letting them grow again. Not sure offhand if the ql should be capped by a skill.

New use for a rarely used tool...

Activate lit torch, right click hedge "burn".

Little bit of "immersion" and Vynora and Fo can fight about it later... :)

-1 - the usefulness of hedges is that they don't decay off-deed.  We use them for things like perimeter horse pens - having to keep repairing stone walls is a pain, and hedges look nicer for peripheral stuff anyway.  They really aren't that difficult to remove, and they do take a fair bit of resource gathering to create.

• Like 1

Hedges are very useful for lining roads and creating safe areas for new players to hide from critters.  Making them require any kind of upkeep runs counter to the idea behind them (a wall that isn't really a wall and something just there to stop mobs).

• Like 2

Just here to revive this movement.  Hedges should really decay off deed.  There are so many abandoned places that are littered with hedges that at some point must have made sense.  Now they are just an eyesore that are a huge PITA to remove.  Hedges are nothing more than a type of wall/fence, so why should it be treated any different?

Edited by topkos
  • Like 1

-1, I like to surround my animal pens with an extra layer of hedge, due to an incident with escapees when a troll bashed through one of my fences, and also because periodically fences get nerfed allowing escape, and personally I think fences still aren't working correctly and reliably, when you can try to lead a horse in the square next to you and you get a warning that a fence up the hill is in your way. If there's space left on my deed I'm glad if the hedges are on so no one can trim them, but sometimes the hedges are one square off deed, and therefore I don't want them rotting out. I have enough rot to contend with day to day. Also, in some places, hedges form a helpful landmark when navigating. So I'd rather if they didn't rot away by themselves. If trimming them to their lowest state and then some kind of bashing removes them fairly easily, ok for that.

• Like 2