Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 42

LssNW42L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

Ah yes, this is the Weekly News. Hot spicy tidbits of information about Wurm development you always knew you needed.

This is that special place to talk and share in harmony.

So many opportunities to eat popcorn.

And the cherry on top, it is brought to you buy this ranting Swede calling himself RedBaron.

Are you not sold on this lovely concept?

Wait, do not answer. It is probably better I just:

Share some News!

Xanadu Update Special

Xanadu.jpg

Creature Spawns and Cap on Xanadu

Following up once more on our progress to address the on many occasions reported sparsity of creatures.

We did some changes earlier to try and address this but to no major effect.

As you all probably know Xanadu already has a total creature population much bigger than any other servers.

But as it is even vaster in size, they tend to get a bit spread out.

So, we have already increased the creature cap by one step and after not seeing any significant changes in performance we will now increase it one step further.

From the initial 200 000 cap to a new total of 300 000 creatures.

Resources

With the restart and update of Xanadu there will also be an overhaul and respawn of the resource spread.

None of the already discovered resources will change so your current mines are fine.

But basically allot more variety and less clustering of resources across the map.

So bring out the shovels and pick axes! It is a good time to go out in hunt of new venues once more!

Money distribution.

This is straight from release notes but I will reiterate it once more.

There is now a chance that certain actions yield a bonus rare coin if there is money left in the pool.

The SELL function at traders and tokens, slaying creatures (domestic animals such as horses have double chance), and finding stuff when Botanizing or Foraging are the current ones.

This should make for better and more fun money distribution.

Lod

lod_GridS.jpg

We are continuing work on our Level of Detail models.

By now you are probably aware of what this means, otherwise just check out the news post from week 35.

What you might not know however is that we have also started to implement the system bit by bit.

So if you have not already noticed the change it is a good sign.

But before we start seeing any more noticeable effects on performance there are still many models to work on.

What is interesting right now is that both walls and fences are being added into the system.

Seeing as how much detail can go into buildings and at what distance you can view them, I think this will be great.

Icons

Indeed, this lovely task is still going strong as well.

Even our young intern Stefan is starting to show signs of fatigue over this huge endeavor.

He is starting to latch out in desperation, trying to vent his frustrations and gain more outlets for his creative spirit.

Wox of course just shoots him an assertive art director glance, which is a highly scrutinizing thing to experience.

This and energizing pauses to crack ironic comments has kept him going thus far.

Also, I am of course doing my part, giving him pep talks each time passing.

So I clench my fist and loudly exclaim  -“Yeees! More Icons! You can do it!†Whilst looking wide eyed and utterly sincere.

Memo to self, work on human resource skills.

Help me out Wurmians, can Stefan get some more creative Pep talks?

Portcullis

StoneWallPortcullis_PlainStoneWallPortcu

There is some more versions of the portcullis coming your way.

For simplicity's sake lets start from the left shall we?

Ok, so as you see the first model on the left is a StoneWall Portcullis intended for use as an entrance in buildings.

The inset wheels will spin as the metal bars animate upwards and downwards.  

Then we have the next version which gives the entrance an appearance of being two stories high.

In reality, this top part will be a new wall type called Barred Wall as seen one step to the right.

So you build and plan for it separately.

What this also means is that you can use it anywhere to maybe break up the pattern of an otherwise plain stone wall.

But as always, we will only know its true potential when in the hands of creative Wurmians!

Both the StoneWall Portcullis and Barred Wall will be available with and without wooden trim.

Then on the far right we have a wood version of the portcullis also intended for use with buildings.

This version however does not animate the door straight upwards but rather pivot and fold inwards and upwards. A very vivid description I know.

Sorry? It does not paint a clear enough picture for you?

I will get you some more work in progress once we have them implemented on the test server.

Plain StoneWall Types

So by now you probably know you can make the plain stonewall ingame and also change a trimmed one into this new wall type with plyers.

Just wanted to make sure you also know that house door, double door and arched walls of the stone variety is also available and convertible to plain.

Please share some highlights of how you have used these plain walls around your deed!

We all love fancy screenshots hehe.

New Bone Altar

new_BoneAltarS.png

Just click image for a Larger Version!

Finally the Bone altar is intimidating and imposes the the fear it rightly deserves!

A long post this week Wurmians I know.

Hopefully a few of you kept with me all the way to the end hehe.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who checked out our Wurm World News.

And if you have not, what are you waiting for just click here!

So rest assured, there will be an episode 2 as soon I have the time.

But now lets round this post up so you can finally

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 24

All nice, and all.  I especially like the wooden garage door.

Wish you'd increase the number of spawns on Chaos while you're at it.

Bone altar looks nice, but I'm guessing you still won't be able to see it on Chaos as it's buried in the hill it popped onto when it was last destroyed. Maybe that'll change, which would be nice.

All good updates the new barred wall will be nice for many uses. Now lets hope i get that missing female for my male sheep so he can live his life with his mate on the island and have many offspring. 

Edited by Kegan

When can we expect to see new skills, features or content added to wurm?

• Like 1

Make a visible progress bar for Stefan to look at while he is making icons. It helps increase motivation in the game so why not IRL.

• Like 1

Those portcullis look amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on those, So many ideas already....

Nice idea with the blank wall system. :D

Some of the portcullises look fantastic, I will have to re-plan my deed to some kind of dungeon for sure at some point... then we will need new furniture as well...

IMO, the spawn increase worked really well... let's see if they decide to bunch up somewhere again after a couple of weeks (would hate to see a couple of thousand spiders in one valley, haha).

Love the portcullis models! And can't wait for the next Wurm World News.. Psst, I'm in it ;)

Portcullis look fantastic!

Please can you fix the spawn on the other servers, namely Inde and Chaos. Its a ghost town out there..

When can we expect to see new skills, features or content added to wurm?

Um, isn't everything in this update new content?

Very nice stuff!

The new money distribution stuff is great too, at least in theory, have to try it out in game :) Thanks for trying Rolf!

Can we get an explanation about the portcullis in PvP? Will it act like the current doors that open and close and can be lock picked, or will it work on a remote activation from a somewhat distant object? This could be a PvP problem if it is not implemented properly.

• Like 1

Wish you'd increase the number of spawns on Chaos while you're at it.

And Independence too. Would be nice to see an increase on both of them, to bring them closer to the smaller servers in creature density.

It would be fun if there was a level 90+ or 100 alchemist skill that would allow me to change a lead vein into gold.  :D 

(It'll never happen, but a gamer can dream, right?) 

I love the portcullis, too. 

I like the idea of the distribution system - this way beginners are able to get coins which I suppose might put life into mid ql item sales too. It is ridiculous that only 80+ql have any market (not a complaint I'm fine selling my stuff at that level but I remember I loved my first 50 ql chain set :) )

Edited by Jaz

Money distribution.

This is straight from release notes but I will reiterate it once more.

There is now a chance that certain actions yield a bonus rare coin if there is money left in the pool.

The SELL function at traders and tokens, slaying creatures (domestic animals such as horses have double chance), and finding stuff when Botanizing or Foraging are the current ones.

This should make for better and more fun money distribution.

+1 for something other than letting the lucky one or two getting it all

I dont even bother checking the traders on xanadu anymore. whole thing was discouraging, and now I have a reason to kill the horses other than their 1000yrd stares.

Niiiiice, especially in the castle/fortress aspect.

+1 for the new money distribution system.

Wurm has needed some system to get silver to the general population

Sounds very engaging, how about tying the gods missions in with the money distribution too?

Awesome. Would love to see more decorative wall types like the barred wall, especially ones that work well above the first level. Trellises were a good start at sprucing things up.

I'm getting flashbacks to Sim City 4, the NAM mod, and the zillions of highway pieces it adds. Perhaps a structure planning/building interface -- or something rolled into the crafting screen -- isn't far off? Something to take the burden off context menus. Poor little context menus.

But I hear there are veterans around here who like them.

Edited by Tipper